Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3V exhaust setup recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:05 PM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

Default 3V exhaust setup recommendations?

Next month I am buying a 07-10 GT (excited) I need some pointers on picking out a nice sounding aftermarket exhaust system or brand. I own a 1994 GT right now and before that I owned a 1991 GT. I have loved mustangs for many years but just recently started getting into the newer ones. I have also just recently started sampling youtube videos of 3V GT's and sadly I can't find MANY that I really love.

That said I don't know much about the 3V motor or the S197 cars or what brand exhaust is fan favorites or what to search for in terms of quality exhaust.

I like a thick raspy sound like this -

I love that sound but I don't think I want to go that loud because I will be riding kids and wife in the car often... and I am sure they will get tired of hearing it. My 1994 has xpipe, mac headers, mac dumps with high flow cats. I like the sound of it.

So with all that said anyone care to share some of their favorite setups and some youtube videos? I am open to any suggestions or links thanks.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:17 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

Check out the American Muscle website...
They have a ton of videos for most of the exhaust systems they sell!

Its all a matter of preference...

Some guys run Corsa's, some SLP Loudmouths, some Borla, etc...
Old 05-20-2014, 02:02 PM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

Thanks I am checking American Muscle out now.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:39 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BaltRavens
Next month I am buying a 07-10 GT (excited) I need some pointers on picking out a nice sounding aftermarket exhaust system or brand. I own a 1994 GT right now and before that I owned a 1991 GT. I have loved mustangs for many years but just recently started getting into the newer ones. I have also just recently started sampling youtube videos of 3V GT's and sadly I can't find MANY that I really love.

That said I don't know much about the 3V motor or the S197 cars or what brand exhaust is fan favorites or what to search for in terms of quality exhaust.

I like a thick raspy sound like this - Mustang GT very loud - YouTube

I love that sound but I don't think I want to go that loud because I will be riding kids and wife in the car often... and I am sure they will get tired of hearing it. My 1994 has xpipe, mac headers, mac dumps with high flow cats. I like the sound of it.

So with all that said anyone care to share some of their favorite setups and some youtube videos? I am open to any suggestions or links thanks.
Hey,

As an owner of 06 GT, I am confident that you will love your future ride.

The exhaust is a great place to start, the 3Vs really have a nice tone, especially the one you found in this YouTube clip. Take a look on the site, as everyone's taste tend to be different when it comes to exhaust. However if you like a little more rasp, I would look harder at many of the straight through mufflers and muffler delete kits rather than the chambered mufflers. These systems tend to be a little more raspy but can still deliver a rich tone.

The Pypes Pype-bomb would be my personal recommendation for what it sounds your are looking for. This will be an aggressive, loud, and raspy tone, but still have rich sound in my opinion. I hope this information helps, and if you have any questions, feel free to get in touch. Best of luck!

-Dan
Old 05-20-2014, 02:42 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Also, the x-pipes and headers with high flow cats (or offroad without cats) tend to deliver a more raspy sound in addition to the muffler recommendations of above.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You want an off-road x pipe, assuming no emissions, and some pypes m80's welded in the middle. You can get the mid muffler kits, but it's a real hassle lining everything up and it's probably cheaper to have a shop weld them into the stock pipe.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

IMO you can't go wrong with an H pipe and chambered mufflers

BUT, I don't really care for the X pipe sound.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:31 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

I have the cat back X Pipe from pypes and will say I love the sound. Deep, not to loud or aggressive but def enough to know its aftermarket, and real good sound when your on the throttle! ...Saying all this my personal favorite sound I've heard on the 3V is the ford racing stingers, the catback setup they have on the Shelby GT's. You will enjoy the car a lot, I still am happy every time I get in my 06 gt!
Old 05-21-2014, 10:27 AM
BaltRavens
2nd Gear Member

Pypes sounds good I had never heard of them until now. Thank you for the recommendations guys.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 AM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

I used to have Pypes on my previous Mustang GT (2007) and they sounded great. The fitment wasn't the best. I had to pay the exhaust shop to cut them even in the back and heat & bend. But after a couple extra hours work they looked and sounded good.

Quick Reply: 3V exhaust setup recommendations?