Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the site/questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:43 PM
nick22

Default New to the site/questions!

Hey all, I'm new to this site and to having a Mustang. I have a 2006 v6, and am looking to add some mods and was also looking for cleaning advice. Right now just 2 basic questions...

1. If I put a K&N cold air intake and a Flowmaster AT axle back exhaust on, will I HAVE to tune it? I definitely am going to tune it once I have enough funds, but I would rather do the exhaust system and CAI at the same time, then the next upgrade will be the tune. Just wondering if this will be okay and won't harm anything?

2. What cleaning products are the best for our cars? I have a carpet interior not leather, and am going to buy Adam's upholstery cleaner for that. I also have 303 Aerospace protectant, but I'm wondering what's the best CLEANER/disinfectant for the inside?

Thank you to anyone who answers!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:13 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

U can probably make it fine without a tune for the CAI it may or may not throw a code. The muffler u want needs no tune at all. The thing is, the CAI will give u between 3-7 HP without a tune. so please tune it quickly for a legitimate gain.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:38 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nick22

1. If I put a K&N cold air intake and a Flowmaster AT axle back exhaust on, will I HAVE to tune it? I definitely am going to tune it once I have enough funds, but I would rather do the exhaust system and CAI at the same time, then the next upgrade will be the tune. Just wondering if this will be okay and won't harm anything?
don't know for sure about the CAI, but an axle-back won't require a tune.

2. What cleaning products are the best for our cars? I have a carpet interior not leather, and am going to buy Adam's upholstery cleaner for that. I also have 303 Aerospace protectant, but I'm wondering what's the best CLEANER/disinfectant for the inside?
what in the name of the good lord are you doing in that car which makes you need a disinfectant?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:46 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Thank you to anyone who answers!
Are we talking interior or exterior cleaning products, or both?
By the context of your question, it would seem like interior. It would be best to see some pics of what it looks like and/or where the stains are etc, etc, etc.
Like any cleaning product...there is no magical end-all, be-all, does everything cleaner out there . It all depends on what caused the stain, how embedded it is, how discolored the flooring is, etc. and how any product is applied to the working surface that makes all the difference.

throw up a few snaps and lets see how bad off it is

Last edited by steel pony; 06-10-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A CAI isn't worth the trouble without a tune, other than maybe LOOKING nice. Non-tuned CAI is worth about 3-5 RWHP. CAI & custom tune combo is worth 15-20 RWHP on the 4.0L.

Any exhaust work beyond the O2 sensors does not require a tune.

Did you go poopee in your car?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 PM
nick22

Originally Posted by Nuke
A CAI isn't worth the trouble without a tune, other than maybe LOOKING nice. Non-tuned CAI is worth about 3-5 RWHP. CAI & custom tune combo is worth 15-20 RWHP on the 4.0L.

Any exhaust work beyond the O2 sensors does not require a tune.

Did you go poopee in your car?
Haha the end made me laugh. Nah I just want it to look immaculate. There's no stains either I'm just a neat freak when it comes to my cars. And yeah I know about the CAI without the tune :/ hmm.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 PM
nick22

Originally Posted by steel pony
Are we talking interior or exterior cleaning products, or both?
By the context of your question, it would seem like interior. It would be best to see some pics of what it looks like and/or where the stains are etc, etc, etc.
Like any cleaning product...there is no magical end-all, be-all, does everything cleaner out there . It all depends on what caused the stain, how embedded it is, how discolored the flooring is, etc. and how any product is applied to the working surface that makes all the difference.

throw up a few snaps and lets see how bad off it is
Haha it's actually in fine condition, no stains or tears or anything like that. I just like my cars to be clean as a whistle lol...I have ArmorAll wipes but I tihkn they're too acidic and harmful tbh
Old 06-11-2014, 06:26 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Haha it's actually in fine condition, no stains or tears or anything like that. I just like my cars to be clean as a whistle lol...I have ArmorAll wipes but I tihkn they're too acidic and harmful tbh
Throw that ArmorAll crap away! It's nothing more that a low grade consumer product.

As far as cleaning the inside of the car, your biggest problem is not knowing whats been left behind by the previous owner. If the place you bought it from did their pre-sale prep work correctly, then they have probably removed most of the smells and stains. The one thing you have going for you s that it's cloth interior. That means there's probably some odor left behind and/or trapped in the fabric or the padding. Good for you, because it's easier to clean than leather.

I would recommend a good steam shampoo of the interior then treat it with whatever fabric sealer you like. Don't seal it before doing this as the last thing you want to do is trap what you're attempting to clean.

For the dash and plastic-pending condition-I have been using PoorBoy's World Natural Look cleaner.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:04 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

ok if your just going to try and clean up the fabric/carpet in the interior and there is really no major trouble areas then i would recommend this:
Amazon.com: 3M Scotchgard Auto Foaming Fabric and Carpet Cleaner, 17.5-Ounce (1019R-AUTO): Home Improvement Amazon.com: 3M Scotchgard Auto Foaming Fabric and Carpet Cleaner, 17.5-Ounce (1019R-AUTO): Home Improvement

i get it at my local walmart or advance auto parts. LOVE IT. Frechens everything up with a good smell. used it in my V6 and it made the black fabric/carpet look "blacker" and just cleaner in general. love this stuff. works great. dont inhale lol
all around great fabric cleaner IMO

you could also try some Febreeze Auto spray. works well also

Last edited by cema93; 06-11-2014 at 12:06 PM.