MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005 - 2014 Mustangs (http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   3 pack combo help (http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/711633-3-pack-combo-help.html)

BlackShelbyGt500 07-05-2014 05:01 PM

3 pack combo help
 
so i finally ordered my simple bolt on and it consist of

sct sf3 tuner

STEEDA cold air intake

Steeda pulley

my question are how easy is it to use the tuner? i never actually tune any car before so i'm asking for the most simple explanation. also are these parts on my list compatible with each other? thanks for any help.

SpartaPerformance 07-05-2014 06:01 PM

No. You need to take the vehicle to a shop with a dyno that uses SCT, or you can call Steeda for an email tune to compensate for the parts you purchased.

BlackShelbyGt500 07-05-2014 06:09 PM

i see so its not as simply as it seems. i need to take the car to the shop anyways to have the pulley installed.

bl817 07-05-2014 06:25 PM

the 3015 tuner comes with 3 tunes, 87,91 and 93 octane. it can also do a lot more. plug it in to your car and see what you can do. it may recognize that you have a Shelby and can change pulley sizes. I have a gt so on mine I don't have that option. you can tune your car for the steeda cai as it is an option in the cai menu. you can change wheel sizes, gears, throttle body, headers, cams and other stuff. why do you need to take it to a shop to change the pulley? take the belt off, change pulley and put belt back on, that simple. the 3015 can also hold 5 custom tunes I think. I have 3 brenspeed custom tunes on mine. good luck

808muscle 07-06-2014 04:06 PM

Honestly, just return those items and buy what you need from AM, or Brenspeed or VMP. You have a shelby GT500, get the proper parts with a proper tune. No way EVER would I trust a canned SCT tune.

SpartaPerformance 07-06-2014 07:20 PM

There is nothing wrong with the parts he purchased. He just needs a tune. Steeda are top notch, excellent quality.

BlackShelbyGt500 07-06-2014 08:38 PM

i have check those website for the similar part but they don't seem to price match the exact same item. i'm just trying to save a little bit of money. i can install the CAi no problem but i'm going to have to take the car to the chop to install the pulley and i don't really have any ideas on how to use a tuner.

808muscle 07-07-2014 11:44 AM

AM prices matches, you just have to call.

Derf00 07-08-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500 (Post 8406473)
i have check those website for the similar part but they don't seem to price match the exact same item. i'm just trying to save a little bit of money. i can install the CAi no problem but i'm going to have to take the car to the chop to install the pulley and i don't really have any ideas on how to use a tuner.

You own a friggin GT500 and you're trying to save "a little bit of money"? The $50 or $100 you're saving are nothing compared to the cost of a new motor when you use upgrades improperly.

Send the stuff back to Amazon and buy from a reputable Mustang supplier. AM, Steeda, Lund, CJ Pony, etc...

There is a price difference for a reason...support. Sorry but for parts that require tunes I gladly pay a little extra to get the support, even if I end up not using the support. Piece of mind is priceless.

P.S. The tuner is not user programmable unless you have access to the programming software and a Dyno. You'd have to go to a Dyno shop as mentioned that uses SCT for programing. Dyno runs can cost anywhere from a $150 bucks to several hundreds depending on how much time they spend on the tune. Yes, there are some parameters you can change as a user but, you don't have access to the fuel table and AFR settings etc.

BlackShelbyGt500 07-08-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derf00 (Post 8406923)
You own a friggin GT500 and you're trying to save "a little bit of money"? The $50 or $100 you're saving are nothing compared to the cost of a new motor when you use upgrades improperly.

Send the stuff back to Amazon and buy from a reputable Mustang supplier. AM, Steeda, Lund, CJ Pony, etc...

There is a price difference for a reason...support. Sorry but for parts that require tunes I gladly pay a little extra to get the support, even if I end up not using the support. Piece of mind is priceless.

P.S. The tuner is not user programmable unless you have access to the programming software and a Dyno. You'd have to go to a Dyno shop as mentioned that uses SCT for programing. Dyno runs can cost anywhere from a $150 bucks to several hundreds depending on how much time they spend on the tune. Yes, there are some parameters you can change as a user but, you don't have access to the fuel table and AFR settings etc.


Thanks for the advice. Just for the record just because someone owns a gt500 that doesn't automatically mean they have money to spend. It took me 1 year to save up just to get the car on the monthly that I can afford to pay. Second these parts are steeda parts am I correct? What makes them different if I bought it from other retailer? Beside the fact that they are cheaper? And no AM does not compare price as I spoke to a rep from AM about these parts. I will gladly buy from them if they just price match.

But enough of that I just wanted to know how can I use my CAI as it requires a tune as stated. I seen ppl online installing their CAI and using a tuner and they didn't have to go to a shop. But I will need to go to a shop anyway to have them install the pulley but i want to install the CAI myself to save money on labor. Thanks for all the help brother.

Derf00 07-08-2014 03:25 PM

What makes the difference in price is not the part itself. Yes, that is the same with all companies that offer the same product. What is different is that the mustang suppliers include tunes that are semi customized to your car and it's mods.

You could buy the individual components from Amazon and pay another $150 for lifetime tunes from say AM/Steeda but that can end up costing you more than if you had just bought the tuner from AM/Steeda outright.

Amazon only comes with SCT Can tunes which are very, very basic and may not take into account any mods you have. AM/Steeda will include tunes that are semicustom (but still canned) that will allow you to get the most from your car. Only way to get best would be a dyno.

Do you plan on doing any other engine mods to the car besides the CAI and Pulley? If not, buy them wherever and have the shop that installs them do a Dyno tune and be done with it. If you plan on continuously upgrading (like most of us do) then buy from AM/Steeda and work with them on your upgrades/tunes as you go.

Steeda works with Ford and in some cases their parts are FRPP or vice Versa.

SCT is not steeda but steeda and AM prefer to write their tunes for those tuners (more versatile I believe).

BlackShelbyGt500 07-08-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derf00 (Post 8406969)
What makes the difference in price is not the part itself. Yes, that is the same with all companies that offer the same product. What is different is that the mustang suppliers include tunes that are semi customized to your car and it's mods.

You could buy the individual components from Amazon and pay another $150 for lifetime tunes from say AM/Steeda but that can end up costing you more than if you had just bought the tuner from AM/Steeda outright.

Amazon only comes with SCT Can tunes which are very, very basic and may not take into account any mods you have. AM/Steeda will include tunes that are semicustom (but still canned) that will allow you to get the most from your car. Only way to get best would be a dyno.

Do you plan on doing any other engine mods to the car besides the CAI and Pulley? If not, buy them wherever and have the shop that installs them do a Dyno tune and be done with it. If you plan on continuously upgrading (like most of us do) then buy from AM/Steeda and work with them on your upgrades/tunes as you go.

Steeda works with Ford and in some cases their parts are FRPP or vice Versa.

SCT is not steeda but steeda and AM prefer to write their tunes for those tuners (more versatile I believe).

you have a good point on the tuner thanks i will be returning it but not the CAI or the pulley.

my car is basically stock just a cat back exhaust, i focus more on the appearance because i barely drive the car and i don't plan on racing or taking it to the track, but the occasional run in with other car is unavoidable so i want to be prepare and have these basic bolt on done. i was told it would "wake the car up" thanks again bro

BlackShelbyGt500 07-09-2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derf00 (Post 8406969)
What makes the difference in price is not the part itself. Yes, that is the same with all companies that offer the same product. What is different is that the mustang suppliers include tunes that are semi customized to your car and it's mods.

You could buy the individual components from Amazon and pay another $150 for lifetime tunes from say AM/Steeda but that can end up costing you more than if you had just bought the tuner from AM/Steeda outright.

Amazon only comes with SCT Can tunes which are very, very basic and may not take into account any mods you have. AM/Steeda will include tunes that are semicustom (but still canned) that will allow you to get the most from your car. Only way to get best would be a dyno.

Do you plan on doing any other engine mods to the car besides the CAI and Pulley? If not, buy them wherever and have the shop that installs them do a Dyno tune and be done with it. If you plan on continuously upgrading (like most of us do) then buy from AM/Steeda and work with them on your upgrades/tunes as you go.

Steeda works with Ford and in some cases their parts are FRPP or vice Versa.

SCT is not steeda but steeda and AM prefer to write their tunes for those tuners (more versatile I believe).

hey bro just a quick question since i decided to return the tuner and i kept the CAI and pulley can i just simply bring the car to the shop have them install the parts and have them tune my car? without buying a tuner? or do i still need to by the tuner and have the car dyno? i'm kinda of confuse here.

808muscle 07-09-2014 02:19 AM

Most dyno shops tune with the SCT software hence the reason you need a sct device. No way do you install the cai and or the pulley without a proper tune. Do not go there. AM sells GT500 pulleys maybe just not the same one you already ordered. My post earlier was to say, buy all 3 items from AM, Brenspeed or VMP then you will get one of their custom tunes and their tunes are far superior than any tune from SCT itself. When you buy the SCT device from AM or Brenspeed the custom tunes on that device are free and you will get free tunes for life. IMO return everything from amazon and start over with one of the companies listed. As somebody who has a blown mustang with nearly every bolt on imaginable, a proper tune is everything. My car has 300+ passes at the drag strip and runs as good today as it did when fully stock. The tune is everything. Good luck with whatever you decide.

BlackShelbyGt500 07-09-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808muscle (Post 8407169)
Most dyno shops tune with the SCT software hence the reason you need a sct device. No way do you install the cai and or the pulley without a proper tune. Do not go there. AM sells GT500 pulleys maybe just not the same one you already ordered. My post earlier was to say, buy all 3 items from AM, Brenspeed or VMP then you will get one of their custom tunes and their tunes are far superior than any tune from SCT itself. When you buy the SCT device from AM or Brenspeed the custom tunes on that device are free and you will get free tunes for life. IMO return everything from amazon and start over with one of the companies listed. As somebody who has a blown mustang with nearly every bolt on imaginable, a proper tune is everything. My car has 300+ passes at the drag strip and runs as good today as it did when fully stock. The tune is everything. Good luck with whatever you decide.

can i just order the tuner from AM? why do i need to return the same exact CAI and pulley that i bought from amazon and then order it from AM and pay more? i understand now about ordering the tuner from AM but i still don't get why i have to return the CAI and pulley?does the steeda CAI and pulley from amazon different from the one from AM? i'm if they are i am willing to return it but i need proof.

also i'm sorry but i'm a little confuse on the dyno part(never had a dyno or a tune done on any of my car)

bear with me on this one please this.
let say i manage to install the CAI and pulley by myself. can i simply plug the tuner that i bough from AM to my car and be done with it?
or do i still need to bring my car to a shop and have them dyno it? what does a dyno do? my understanding of a dyno is that it tells you the exact rwhp and torque of you're car and that's about it.

And my understanding of a hand held tuner is to make sure that all parts that i install would function correctly.

also i only use unleaded gas(91) on my car. no racing fuel.

i wish i can talk to some of you guys face to face so i can have a better understanding on some of the basic bolt on.

thanks for any help.

tw1234 07-09-2014 10:58 PM

I would just phone and buy the tuner from AM; and tell them what brand/part number CAI and S/C Pulley you will be using. They should be able to tell you if they can or can't write a program tune for you.

This is just a suggestion as I don't own a S/C stang and my xcal2 is of old tech and I don't know if CAI's are part of the adjustable programming you can do on the newer SCT's. If they give you 3 tune options, as mine did, I myself might try Performance 91 with CAI and Pulley; Performance 91 with CAI only; and Stock.
I went with a stock program on my 05 GT so I could us the stock programming if needed but still adjust for gear ratio's, etc.

FivePointToTheOh 07-10-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500 (Post 8407420)
can i just order the tuner from AM? why do i need to return the same exact CAI and pulley that i bought from amazon and then order it from AM and pay more? i understand now about ordering the tuner from AM but i still don't get why i have to return the CAI and pulley?does the steeda CAI and pulley from amazon different from the one from AM? i'm if they are i am willing to return it but i need proof.

also i'm sorry but i'm a little confuse on the dyno part(never had a dyno or a tune done on any of my car)

bear with me on this one please this.
let say i manage to install the CAI and pulley by myself. can i simply plug the tuner that i bough from AM to my car and be done with it?
or do i still need to bring my car to a shop and have them dyno it? what does a dyno do? my understanding of a dyno is that it tells you the exact rwhp and torque of you're car and that's about it.

And my understanding of a hand held tuner is to make sure that all parts that i install would function correctly.

also i only use unleaded gas(91) on my car. no racing fuel.

i wish i can talk to some of you guys face to face so i can have a better understanding on some of the basic bolt on.

thanks for any help.


There is nothing wrong with purchasing any of the other parts from other retailers. Buying the tuner from AM is the best bet. You will receive a semi-customized tune based upon the parts you've purchased, then you simply plug it into the vehicle, sync it, and its done. Thats it until you decide you need to upgrade further, at which point you write AM and they will send you a new tune to meet the new requirements.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.