Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


3 pack combo help

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2008 shelby gt500
Location: california
Posts: 366
Default 3 pack combo help

so i finally ordered my simple bolt on and it consist of

sct sf3 tuner
Amazon.com: SCT SF3 FORD Power Flash Handheld Programmer (3015): Automotive Amazon.com: SCT SF3 FORD Power Flash Handheld Programmer (3015): Automotive

STEEDA cold air intake
Amazon Amazon

Steeda pulley
Amazon.com: Steeda 555-3345 Supercharger Pulley: Automotive Amazon.com: Steeda 555-3345 Supercharger Pulley: Automotive

my question are how easy is it to use the tuner? i never actually tune any car before so i'm asking for the most simple explanation. also are these parts on my list compatible with each other? thanks for any help.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
BlackShelbyGt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #2
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member
 
SpartaPerformance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,281
Spartaperformance
Default

No. You need to take the vehicle to a shop with a dyno that uses SCT, or you can call Steeda for an email tune to compensate for the parts you purchased.
SpartaPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2008 shelby gt500
Location: california
Posts: 366
Default

i see so its not as simply as it seems. i need to take the car to the shop anyways to have the pulley installed.
BlackShelbyGt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
bl817
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Ft. Worth Tx
Posts: 114
Default

the 3015 tuner comes with 3 tunes, 87,91 and 93 octane. it can also do a lot more. plug it in to your car and see what you can do. it may recognize that you have a Shelby and can change pulley sizes. I have a gt so on mine I don't have that option. you can tune your car for the steeda cai as it is an option in the cai menu. you can change wheel sizes, gears, throttle body, headers, cams and other stuff. why do you need to take it to a shop to change the pulley? take the belt off, change pulley and put belt back on, that simple. the 3015 can also hold 5 custom tunes I think. I have 3 brenspeed custom tunes on mine. good luck
bl817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
808muscle
5th Gear Member
 
808muscle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
Location: Maui
Posts: 4,612
Default

Honestly, just return those items and buy what you need from AM, or Brenspeed or VMP. You have a shelby GT500, get the proper parts with a proper tune. No way EVER would I trust a canned SCT tune.
__________________


06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Trutrac, Detroit Rockers, Moroso, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, BMR, J&M, SS Lines/ EBC Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2014 Pro Street 12.90 Class...Season Points Runner Up
12.23@114
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member
 
SpartaPerformance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 1,281
Spartaperformance
Default

There is nothing wrong with the parts he purchased. He just needs a tune. Steeda are top notch, excellent quality.
SpartaPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2008 shelby gt500
Location: california
Posts: 366
Default

i have check those website for the similar part but they don't seem to price match the exact same item. i'm just trying to save a little bit of money. i can install the CAi no problem but i'm going to have to take the car to the chop to install the pulley and i don't really have any ideas on how to use a tuner.
BlackShelbyGt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #8
808muscle
5th Gear Member
 
808muscle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
Location: Maui
Posts: 4,612
Default

AM prices matches, you just have to call.
__________________


06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Trutrac, Detroit Rockers, Moroso, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, BMR, J&M, SS Lines/ EBC Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2014 Pro Street 12.90 Class...Season Points Runner Up
12.23@114
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
Derf00
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '08 S197 GT
Location: AZ
Posts: 9,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500 View Post
i have check those website for the similar part but they don't seem to price match the exact same item. i'm just trying to save a little bit of money. i can install the CAi no problem but i'm going to have to take the car to the chop to install the pulley and i don't really have any ideas on how to use a tuner.
You own a friggin GT500 and you're trying to save "a little bit of money"? The $50 or $100 you're saving are nothing compared to the cost of a new motor when you use upgrades improperly.

Send the stuff back to Amazon and buy from a reputable Mustang supplier. AM, Steeda, Lund, CJ Pony, etc...

There is a price difference for a reason...support. Sorry but for parts that require tunes I gladly pay a little extra to get the support, even if I end up not using the support. Piece of mind is priceless.

P.S. The tuner is not user programmable unless you have access to the programming software and a Dyno. You'd have to go to a Dyno shop as mentioned that uses SCT for programing. Dyno runs can cost anywhere from a $150 bucks to several hundreds depending on how much time they spend on the tune. Yes, there are some parameters you can change as a user but, you don't have access to the fuel table and AFR settings etc.
__________________
08 S197 GT Auto: FRPP Strut Tower Brace, FRPP Bullitt CAI, Bama 91-P Tune, VBX remaned valve body with Superior Transmission Shift Kit.
Pending upgrades: Shaftmasters Aluminum 3.5" DS, FRPP 3.73 gears, Axle back exahust (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly

Last edited by Derf00; 07-08-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2008 shelby gt500
Location: california
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf00 View Post
You own a friggin GT500 and you're trying to save "a little bit of money"? The $50 or $100 you're saving are nothing compared to the cost of a new motor when you use upgrades improperly.

Send the stuff back to Amazon and buy from a reputable Mustang supplier. AM, Steeda, Lund, CJ Pony, etc...

There is a price difference for a reason...support. Sorry but for parts that require tunes I gladly pay a little extra to get the support, even if I end up not using the support. Piece of mind is priceless.

P.S. The tuner is not user programmable unless you have access to the programming software and a Dyno. You'd have to go to a Dyno shop as mentioned that uses SCT for programing. Dyno runs can cost anywhere from a $150 bucks to several hundreds depending on how much time they spend on the tune. Yes, there are some parameters you can change as a user but, you don't have access to the fuel table and AFR settings etc.

Thanks for the advice. Just for the record just because someone owns a gt500 that doesn't automatically mean they have money to spend. It took me 1 year to save up just to get the car on the monthly that I can afford to pay. Second these parts are steeda parts am I correct? What makes them different if I bought it from other retailer? Beside the fact that they are cheaper? And no AM does not compare price as I spoke to a rep from AM about these parts. I will gladly buy from them if they just price match.

But enough of that I just wanted to know how can I use my CAI as it requires a tune as stated. I seen ppl online installing their CAI and using a tuner and they didn't have to go to a shop. But I will need to go to a shop anyway to have them install the pulley but i want to install the CAI myself to save money on labor. Thanks for all the help brother.
BlackShelbyGt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
Derf00
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '08 S197 GT
Location: AZ
Posts: 9,887
Default

What makes the difference in price is not the part itself. Yes, that is the same with all companies that offer the same product. What is different is that the mustang suppliers include tunes that are semi customized to your car and it's mods.

You could buy the individual components from Amazon and pay another $150 for lifetime tunes from say AM/Steeda but that can end up costing you more than if you had just bought the tuner from AM/Steeda outright.

Amazon only comes with SCT Can tunes which are very, very basic and may not take into account any mods you have. AM/Steeda will include tunes that are semicustom (but still canned) that will allow you to get the most from your car. Only way to get best would be a dyno.

Do you plan on doing any other engine mods to the car besides the CAI and Pulley? If not, buy them wherever and have the shop that installs them do a Dyno tune and be done with it. If you plan on continuously upgrading (like most of us do) then buy from AM/Steeda and work with them on your upgrades/tunes as you go.

Steeda works with Ford and in some cases their parts are FRPP or vice Versa.

SCT is not steeda but steeda and AM prefer to write their tunes for those tuners (more versatile I believe).
__________________
08 S197 GT Auto: FRPP Strut Tower Brace, FRPP Bullitt CAI, Bama 91-P Tune, VBX remaned valve body with Superior Transmission Shift Kit.
Pending upgrades: Shaftmasters Aluminum 3.5" DS, FRPP 3.73 gears, Axle back exahust (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #12
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2008 shelby gt500
Location: california
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf00 View Post
What makes the difference in price is not the part itself. Yes, that is the same with all companies that offer the same product. What is different is that the mustang suppliers include tunes that are semi customized to your car and it's mods.

You could buy the individual components from Amazon and pay another $150 for lifetime tunes from say AM/Steeda but that can end up costing you more than if you had just bought the tuner from AM/Steeda outright.

Amazon only comes with SCT Can tunes which are very, very basic and may not take into account any mods you have. AM/Steeda will include tunes that are semicustom (but still canned) that will allow you to get the most from your car. Only way to get best would be a dyno.

Do you plan on doing any other engine mods to the car besides the CAI and Pulley? If not, buy them wherever and have the shop that installs them do a Dyno tune and be done with it. If you plan on continuously upgrading (like most of us do) then buy from AM/Steeda and work with them on your upgrades/tunes as you go.

Steeda works with Ford and in some cases their parts are FRPP or vice Versa.

SCT is not steeda but steeda and AM prefer to write their tunes for those tuners (more versatile I believe).
you have a good point on the tuner thanks i will be returning it but not the CAI or the pulley.

my car is basically stock just a cat back exhaust, i focus more on the appearance because i barely drive the car and i don't plan on racing or taking it to the track, but the occasional run in with other car is unavoidable so i want to be prepare and have these basic bolt on done. i was told it would "wake the car up" thanks again bro
BlackShelbyGt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #13
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2008 shelby gt500
Location: california
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf00 View Post
What makes the difference in price is not the part itself. Yes, that is the same with all companies that offer the same product. What is different is that the mustang suppliers include tunes that are semi customized to your car and it's mods.

You could buy the individual components from Amazon and pay another $150 for lifetime tunes from say AM/Steeda but that can end up costing you more than if you had just bought the tuner from AM/Steeda outright.

Amazon only comes with SCT Can tunes which are very, very basic and may not take into account any mods you have. AM/Steeda will include tunes that are semicustom (but still canned) that will allow you to get the most from your car. Only way to get best would be a dyno.

Do you plan on doing any other engine mods to the car besides the CAI and Pulley? If not, buy them wherever and have the shop that installs them do a Dyno tune and be done with it. If you plan on continuously upgrading (like most of us do) then buy from AM/Steeda and work with them on your upgrades/tunes as you go.

Steeda works with Ford and in some cases their parts are FRPP or vice Versa.

SCT is not steeda but steeda and AM prefer to write their tunes for those tuners (more versatile I believe).
hey bro just a quick question since i decided to return the tuner and i kept the CAI and pulley can i just simply bring the car to the shop have them install the parts and have them tune my car? without buying a tuner? or do i still need to by the tuner and have the car dyno? i'm kinda of confuse here.
BlackShelbyGt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:19 AM   #14
808muscle
5th Gear Member
 
808muscle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT
Location: Maui
Posts: 4,612
Default

Most dyno shops tune with the SCT software hence the reason you need a sct device. No way do you install the cai and or the pulley without a proper tune. Do not go there. AM sells GT500 pulleys maybe just not the same one you already ordered. My post earlier was to say, buy all 3 items from AM, Brenspeed or VMP then you will get one of their custom tunes and their tunes are far superior than any tune from SCT itself. When you buy the SCT device from AM or Brenspeed the custom tunes on that device are free and you will get free tunes for life. IMO return everything from amazon and start over with one of the companies listed. As somebody who has a blown mustang with nearly every bolt on imaginable, a proper tune is everything. My car has 300+ passes at the drag strip and runs as good today as it did when fully stock. The tune is everything. Good luck with whatever you decide.
__________________


06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Trutrac, Detroit Rockers, Moroso, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, BMR, J&M, SS Lines/ EBC Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2014 Pro Street 12.90 Class...Season Points Runner Up
12.23@114
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
BlackShelbyGt500
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2008 shelby gt500
Location: california
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808muscle View Post
Most dyno shops tune with the SCT software hence the reason you need a sct device. No way do you install the cai and or the pulley without a proper tune. Do not go there. AM sells GT500 pulleys maybe just not the same one you already ordered. My post earlier was to say, buy all 3 items from AM, Brenspeed or VMP then you will get one of their custom tunes and their tunes are far superior than any tune from SCT itself. When you buy the SCT device from AM or Brenspeed the custom tunes on that device are free and you will get free tunes for life. IMO return everything from amazon and start over with one of the companies listed. As somebody who has a blown mustang with nearly every bolt on imaginable, a proper tune is everything. My car has 300+ passes at the drag strip and runs as good today as it did when fully stock. The tune is everything. Good luck with whatever you decide.
can i just order the tuner from AM? why do i need to return the same exact CAI and pulley that i bought from amazon and then order it from AM and pay more? i understand now about ordering the tuner from AM but i still don't get why i have to return the CAI and pulley?does the steeda CAI and pulley from amazon different from the one from AM? i'm if they are i am willing to return it but i need proof.

also i'm sorry but i'm a little confuse on the dyno part(never had a dyno or a tune done on any of my car)

bear with me on this one please this.
let say i manage to install the CAI and pulley by myself. can i simply plug the tuner that i bough from AM to my car and be done with it?
or do i still need to bring my car to a shop and have them dyno it? what does a dyno do? my understanding of a dyno is that it tells you the exact rwhp and torque of you're car and that's about it.

And my understanding of a hand held tuner is to make sure that all parts that i install would function correctly.

also i only use unleaded gas(91) on my car. no racing fuel.

i wish i can talk to some of you guys face to face so i can have a better understanding on some of the basic bolt on.

thanks for any help.
BlackShelbyGt500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #16
tw1234
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 05 Ford Mustang GT
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 28
Default

I would just phone and buy the tuner from AM; and tell them what brand/part number CAI and S/C Pulley you will be using. They should be able to tell you if they can or can't write a program tune for you.

This is just a suggestion as I don't own a S/C stang and my xcal2 is of old tech and I don't know if CAI's are part of the adjustable programming you can do on the newer SCT's. If they give you 3 tune options, as mine did, I myself might try Performance 91 with CAI and Pulley; Performance 91 with CAI only; and Stock.
I went with a stock program on my 05 GT so I could us the stock programming if needed but still adjust for gear ratio's, etc.

Last edited by tw1234; 07-09-2014 at 11:12 PM.
tw1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #17
FivePointToTheOh
2nd Gear Member
 
FivePointToTheOh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 2013, Ford Mustang, 5.0 GT Premium California Special
Location: Florida
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShelbyGt500 View Post
can i just order the tuner from AM? why do i need to return the same exact CAI and pulley that i bought from amazon and then order it from AM and pay more? i understand now about ordering the tuner from AM but i still don't get why i have to return the CAI and pulley?does the steeda CAI and pulley from amazon different from the one from AM? i'm if they are i am willing to return it but i need proof.

also i'm sorry but i'm a little confuse on the dyno part(never had a dyno or a tune done on any of my car)

bear with me on this one please this.
let say i manage to install the CAI and pulley by myself. can i simply plug the tuner that i bough from AM to my car and be done with it?
or do i still need to bring my car to a shop and have them dyno it? what does a dyno do? my understanding of a dyno is that it tells you the exact rwhp and torque of you're car and that's about it.

And my understanding of a hand held tuner is to make sure that all parts that i install would function correctly.

also i only use unleaded gas(91) on my car. no racing fuel.

i wish i can talk to some of you guys face to face so i can have a better understanding on some of the basic bolt on.

thanks for any help.

There is nothing wrong with purchasing any of the other parts from other retailers. Buying the tuner from AM is the best bet. You will receive a semi-customized tune based upon the parts you've purchased, then you simply plug it into the vehicle, sync it, and its done. Thats it until you decide you need to upgrade further, at which point you write AM and they will send you a new tune to meet the new requirements.
__________________
2013 Sterling Gray GT/CS - |MGW Short Throw Shifter||Steeda 101mm Intake||Pype 3" Off-Road X-Pipe||Borla Atak AxleBack System||3.73 Gears|| Resonator Delete || SR Performance Hydraulic Clutch Line||93 Octane Bama Race Tune||Black GT/CS Rims|| Black 5.0's||30% Tint All The Way Around|

#805/2998 2013 GT/CS.
1/397 Sterling Grey

FivePointToTheOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup