Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 08-03-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Ford Mustang
whosniffedme whosniffedme whosniffedme
Default Functional Rear Diffuser?

So I got rear ended last night, but that's not so bad, perfect time to start looking at upgrades for the rear of my car!

I'm currently running a GT/CS rear bumper but am thinking about upgrading to something with a functional rear diffuser instead of the little baby ones I currently have. My favorite one so far is one of the first ones I picked out....... http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...AB-262019.html

I really dig the look and wouldn't mind a little more stability but DAMN it's expensive, as much as my entire bumper cover and I feel like that might be a little tricky scoring an OEM GT bumper and that from the insurance company.

What do y'all think? Any other options?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Current Vehicle:
07' GT/CS Roushcharged http://mustangforums.com/forum/garag...sniffedme.html
Past Vehicles:'03 Explorer Sport Trac XLT,
'69 Mustang soft top fully rebuilt 351C swap
whosniffedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Ricey IMO unless you had a full built track car, my question is why?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 07, Ford GT

i went this route:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/gt500-...mper-0509.html
Roush M90 SC w/2.49 pulley, KB BAP, Roush CB, Hurst ss, FRPP cams, FRPP 62mm TB, Helo 20" wheels, FRPP 4.10's, BBK headers, Kicker/Shelby 8" subs, Cadence amps, Optima red top, full body kit, STB, JLT oil separators ps/ds, Cross drilled/slotted rotors, aluminum DS, Eibach struts,shocks, FRPP springs, Eibach sway bar kit, BMR panhard bar/brace, BMR LCA's, SS brake/clutch lines, GlowShift gauges, Shelby RSB/trans cooler, JLT brake cooling kit, Exedy stage 1 clutch/Flywheel
lawrencecar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6 View Post
Ricey IMO unless you had a full built track car, my question is why?
I knew some people would think it's ricey, but I'm not going the standard direction with my car. It's not a cheap, tacky upgrade. Granted it's not like a diffuser on a real track car that runs almost entirely down the undercarriage but it has to account for something. I do track my car mind you. Besides look at this body kit man http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...AB-265000.html

If you saw that going down the road you know you'd be neck breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencecar1 View Post
That's what I currently have. the difference is not really entirely noticeable though cosmetically; aerodynamically they have no real function.

Current Vehicle:
Old 08-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: '07 Mustang GT

You're wasting your time & money. The FR500 just runs a GT/CS rear bumper cover and I'm sure those cars perform at a higher level than yours does.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011,Ford,Mustang GT Premium
Sengimage ChathamHillRanch Jose Antonio Cruz Sengimage
Send a message via AIM to Cruzinaround Send a message via Skype™ to Cruzinaround

You'll need to extend the front most edge of that diffuser under the vehicle past the trunk and spare tire well in order to make it fully functional with some venting that escapes towards the exhaust exits. Otherwise its just ornamental and marginally functional. You can do it with either ABS sheeting or carefully placed tarpaulin sheeting stretched and pinned under the vehicle. You'll need to do the same to the front end back towards the crankcase otherwise you're just creating a huge wind break at the rear undercarriage.

Boom
---

Previous Stangs:
68' Blk&Silver Stang;351 Windsor + AOD + 3.15's
83' Canary Yellow Stang;351 Windsor + 100/150/200 selectable shot N2O+AOD+3.55's+MSD+Methyl injection
Current Rides:
04' SRT 4..with a wicked blow off
12' Chevy Traverse LTZ
Spouse's wheels...2012 BMW M3 ...Yup
Hooptie: 93' Ford festiva 4sp manual
Cruzinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:39 AM   #7
danzcool
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 GT

I've looked at it and hope to get it someday, it attaches to the wheel well and should provide some benefit even if it is just keeping the lower edge of the bumper from being an air dam in the middle, it should stabilize the ride a bit... but not nearly as much as getting the suspension dialed in. I don't know that the benefit it provides will be noticeable at the power level the OP is at or hopes to be at.
OP, do it if you like, but don't expect insurance to cover it.

danzcool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:00 AM   #8
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
You're wasting your time & money. The FR500 just runs a GT/CS rear bumper cover and I'm sure those cars perform at a higher level than yours does.
This comment is pretty foolish. I do not care what the FR500 runs. A lot of cars faster than mine don't have diffusers, doesn't necessarily mean they can't benefit from one.

Also as I stated, this is coming from insurance money. The previous owner put a decal on the back of my car that I don't personally care for, thus I'm using some of that money and splitting the difference whichever route I take.

I asked for OPTIONS not your opinion, and if you're going to give me yours at least read the comments before blurting out some half assed "knowledge".

Current Vehicle:
Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #9
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosniffedme View Post
So I got rear ended last night, but that's not so bad, perfect time to start looking at upgrades for the rear of my car!

I'm currently running a GT/CS rear bumper but am thinking about upgrading to something with a functional rear diffuser instead of the little baby ones I currently have. My favorite one so far is one of the first ones I picked out....... http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...AB-262019.html

I really dig the look and wouldn't mind a little more stability but DAMN it's expensive, as much as my entire bumper cover and I feel like that might be a little tricky scoring an OEM GT bumper and that from the insurance company.

What do y'all think? Any other options?
Quote:
This comment is pretty foolish. I do not care what the FR500 runs. A lot of cars faster than mine don't have diffusers, doesn't necessarily mean they can't benefit from one.

Also as I stated, this is coming from insurance money. The previous owner put a decal on the back of my car that I don't personally care for, thus I'm using some of that money and splitting the difference whichever route I take.

I asked for OPTIONS not your opinion, and if you're going to give me yours at least read the comments before blurting out some half assed "knowledge".
Asking what we "think" is asking for an opinion, just FYI.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: '07 Mustang GT

Quote:

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Ricardo; 08-04-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:39 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement