Functional Rear Diffuser? - MustangForums.com



2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #1
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
whosniffedme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 639
Default Functional Rear Diffuser?

So I got rear ended last night, but that's not so bad, perfect time to start looking at upgrades for the rear of my car!


I'm currently running a GT/CS rear bumper but am thinking about upgrading to something with a functional rear diffuser instead of the little baby ones I currently have. My favorite one so far is one of the first ones I picked out....... http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...AB-262019.html


I really dig the look and wouldn't mind a little more stability but DAMN it's expensive, as much as my entire bumper cover and I feel like that might be a little tricky scoring an OEM GT bumper and that from the insurance company.

What do y'all think? Any other options?
whosniffedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 12,260
Default

Ricey IMO unless you had a full built track car, my question is why?
2005Redfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member
 
lawrencecar1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 369
Default

lawrencecar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
whosniffedme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6 View Post
Ricey IMO unless you had a full built track car, my question is why?
I knew some people would think it's ricey, but I'm not going the standard direction with my car. It's not a cheap, tacky upgrade. Granted it's not like a diffuser on a real track car that runs almost entirely down the undercarriage but it has to account for something. I do track my car mind you. Besides look at this body kit man http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...AB-265000.html

If you saw that going down the road you know you'd be neck breaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencecar1 View Post
That's what I currently have. the difference is not really entirely noticeable though cosmetically; aerodynamically they have no real function.
whosniffedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #5
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member
 
Ricardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 730
Default

You're wasting your time & money. The FR500 just runs a GT/CS rear bumper cover and I'm sure those cars perform at a higher level than yours does.
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member
 
Cruzinaround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 616
Default

You'll need to extend the front most edge of that diffuser under the vehicle past the trunk and spare tire well in order to make it fully functional with some venting that escapes towards the exhaust exits. Otherwise its just ornamental and marginally functional. You can do it with either ABS sheeting or carefully placed tarpaulin sheeting stretched and pinned under the vehicle. You'll need to do the same to the front end back towards the crankcase otherwise you're just creating a huge wind break at the rear undercarriage.

Boom
---
Cruzinaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:39 AM   #7
danzcool
4th Gear Member
 
danzcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CA
Posts: 1,816
Default

I've looked at it and hope to get it someday, it attaches to the wheel well and should provide some benefit even if it is just keeping the lower edge of the bumper from being an air dam in the middle, it should stabilize the ride a bit... but not nearly as much as getting the suspension dialed in. I don't know that the benefit it provides will be noticeable at the power level the OP is at or hopes to be at.
OP, do it if you like, but don't expect insurance to cover it.
danzcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:00 AM   #8
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
whosniffedme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
You're wasting your time & money. The FR500 just runs a GT/CS rear bumper cover and I'm sure those cars perform at a higher level than yours does.
This comment is pretty foolish. I do not care what the FR500 runs. A lot of cars faster than mine don't have diffusers, doesn't necessarily mean they can't benefit from one.

Also as I stated, this is coming from insurance money. The previous owner put a decal on the back of my car that I don't personally care for, thus I'm using some of that money and splitting the difference whichever route I take.

I asked for OPTIONS not your opinion, and if you're going to give me yours at least read the comments before blurting out some half assed "knowledge".
whosniffedme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 12,260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosniffedme View Post
So I got rear ended last night, but that's not so bad, perfect time to start looking at upgrades for the rear of my car!


I'm currently running a GT/CS rear bumper but am thinking about upgrading to something with a functional rear diffuser instead of the little baby ones I currently have. My favorite one so far is one of the first ones I picked out....... http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...AB-262019.html


I really dig the look and wouldn't mind a little more stability but DAMN it's expensive, as much as my entire bumper cover and I feel like that might be a little tricky scoring an OEM GT bumper and that from the insurance company.

What do y'all think? Any other options?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosniffedme View Post
This comment is pretty foolish. I do not care what the FR500 runs. A lot of cars faster than mine don't have diffusers, doesn't necessarily mean they can't benefit from one.

Also as I stated, this is coming from insurance money. The previous owner put a decal on the back of my car that I don't personally care for, thus I'm using some of that money and splitting the difference whichever route I take.

I asked for OPTIONS not your opinion, and if you're going to give me yours at least read the comments before blurting out some half assed "knowledge".
Asking what we "think" is asking for an opinion, just FYI.
2005Redfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member
 
Ricardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosniffedme View Post
This comment is pretty foolish. I do not care what the FR500 runs. A lot of cars faster than mine don't have diffusers, doesn't necessarily mean they can't benefit from one.

Also as I stated, this is coming from insurance money. The previous owner put a decal on the back of my car that I don't personally care for, thus I'm using some of that money and splitting the difference whichever route I take.

I asked for OPTIONS not your opinion, and if you're going to give me yours at least read the comments before blurting out some half assed "knowledge".

Last edited by Ricardo; 08-04-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting a new project....could use some input. Matt's 95 Stang 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang 2 10-05-2015 08:16 AM
So who wins uedlose The Racers Bench 4 10-01-2015 09:31 PM
2 or 4 wheel alignment? lincolnshibuya V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs 1 09-24-2015 11:46 PM
Steeda’s Vortech S550 Goes 11.2 on Street Tires in Road Race Trim tj@steeda Steeda Autosports 0 09-16-2015 08:53 PM
This weeks build... FivePointToTheOh 2005-2014 Mustangs 0 09-14-2015 04:35 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.