Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing my first Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:44 PM
bmorrow89

Default Purchasing my first Mustang

Hello All,

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, so please let me know if I am in the wrong area.

So for the last 4-5 years I have been drooling over the thought of being able to purchase my first Mustang. With this being said, I have finally come to a point in my life where I am going to begin the journey of getting a Mustang.

I really like the 07 body style, so this is the car I am entertaining buying. Now of course, I want a v8 and a manual tranny.

So I guess what I am really interested in, is feedback about this car? Any known major issues that are common in the vehicle, or any reason why I should do an 08, or an 06 vs. the 07? Figured the best place to find as much feedback as possible would be to join a forum and ask around.

Any feedback will be much appreciated, negative or positive.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:46 PM
bmorrow89

Also should add that I do have plans to mod the car, small bolt ons from the beginning, and hopefully a boost setup within the next 2-3 years.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:49 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

2005-2009 are all the same body style. Why did you zero in on the 2007? I would recommend you get the newest model you can find with your criteria. In this case that would likely be a 2009.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:21 AM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

A couple issues that come to mind is the water leak and front suspension noise. Mine has been making noise in the front suspension but I think I've found what's making the noise and I'm in the process of getting rid of it.

A good place to do some reading is...

Taco Bill's How To's, All TSBs, and other Tech Info

Both of the issues I've mentioned are included there.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2014, 10:21 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

05-09 has a great retro look, I love mine. I would shoot for a newer year but there were only minor changes between all the years. There was the dreaded water leak in the earlier years...just search for it. I have an 06 and no issues at all. If $ isn't a major concern the new 5.0, that power plant is awesome, look into it.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:51 AM
bmorrow89

Originally Posted by waykooljr
A couple issues that come to mind is the water leak and front suspension noise. Mine has been making noise in the front suspension but I think I've found what's making the noise and I'm in the process of getting rid of it.

A good place to do some reading is...

Taco Bill's How To's, All TSBs, and other Tech Info

Both of the issues I've mentioned are included there.

Good luck!
Thank you! This is what I was looking for. Most vehicles have that one issue that is pretty common through all of that model. I guess in this case it is the water leak. I will surely do some reading on that, as I am sure that by now there is a solution to the problem. Front suspension noise could be a number of things so I guess I really need to do some digging there as well. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:54 AM
bmorrow89

Originally Posted by 808muscle
05-09 has a great retro look, I love mine. I would shoot for a newer year but there were only minor changes between all the years. There was the dreaded water leak in the earlier years...just search for it. I have an 06 and no issues at all. If $ isn't a major concern the new 5.0, that power plant is awesome, look into it.
As much as I love the Coyote, I do not think there is any room in the budget for it. My plan is to purchase a vehicle with cash, and have no financing involved (already have two car payments). I think my budget is going to be in the $13,000-$14,000 range. So I am hoping at that price point, I can squeeze into a decent GT with low mileage.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:58 AM
bmorrow89

Originally Posted by cruisin5268d
2005-2009 are all the same body style. Why did you zero in on the 2007? I would recommend you get the newest model you can find with your criteria. In this case that would likely be a 2009.
Well, there is a car lot down the road from me and there is an 07 sitting on the lot. Its just got that stance that I look for in a Stang. That specific Mustang is what geared my interest in the 07. I am just trying to learn more about what each year had different (typically small changes in between years).

Like mentioned below, in the earlier models there was a water leak issue. Was this issue still common in the 09? Thats the tid bits of info I am searching for.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:38 PM
bmorrow89

Default GT vs GT Premium

So it seems that the only differences from the Standard GT and GT Premium, is a steering wheel, shift ****, and leather seats?
Old 10-09-2014, 03:33 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

08-09 cars have a mp3 jack in the center console.

Also most of the issues were resolved by then, ie water leak and spark plug issue.

Quick Reply: Purchasing my first Mustang