Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
BeastMachine67
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Ford Mustang
Default Check Engine Light --> Cam sensor

Lately for the past couple of months my check engine light has been coming on 2-3 times a week and it always throws out a code for camshaft positioning sensor, Bank1 (A). I've already replaced the sensor but, the code still keeps coming up!!

I read a post online that someone had mentioned this could be the alternator becoming defective and sending off some kind of signal that causes the ECU to spit out the wrong check engine light code.

Has anyone ever heard of this??> Any ideas what else I should check?>
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
BeastMachine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 05 DodgeRam 2500 CUMMINS
christob90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMachine67 View Post
Lately for the past couple of months my check engine light has been coming on 2-3 times a week and it always throws out a code for camshaft positioning sensor, Bank1 (A). I've already replaced the sensor but, the code still keeps coming up!!

I read a post online that someone had mentioned this could be the alternator becoming defective and sending off some kind of signal that causes the ECU to spit out the wrong check engine light code.

Has anyone ever heard of this??> Any ideas what else I should check?>
Yep, a very good chance its your alternator. the 05-07 i believe had this issue. Ive seen it once on an 06. no one believed me it was a bad alternator. they replaced the cam sensor twice. about a month later, his alternator died and replacing it fixed all of his issues!
Airraid+Bama 91

05 white Mustang 4.0 sold
05 white Dodge 2500 Cummins sold and missed
FOR SALE Whiteline Upper control arm http://mustangforums.com/forum/parts...m-05-14-a.html
Lethaldosage423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
BeastMachine67
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Ford Mustang

interesting...I should have it tested. It seems to still be charging though
BeastMachine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #4
Dino Dino Bambino

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423 View Post
Yep, a very good chance its your alternator. the 05-07 i believe had this issue.
Not just the 05-07 but also 08-09 and yes, the OP's problem is probably a dying alternator (usually the diodes).
Dino Dino Bambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #5
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006, Ford, Mustang GT

I kept getting the same code and then changed my alternator. Everyone said that was the reason for the cam code and they were right it fixed my problem.

Performance
: Vortech High Output intercooled kit, JBA longtubes with catted H and Borla stingers, 4.10 gears, Spec stage 2+ clutch with aluminum flywheel, MGW short throw shifter. Koni Yellows with eibach pro kit, Steeda HD strut mounts, BMR panhard bar.
Appearance: Roush front bumper, shelby billet grile, Roush spoiler, Raxiom 2013 style lights, 6k Hids, Black saleen wheels staggered set up on Nitto 555 with 255/45/18 front and 285 /40/18 rear
Torch Red GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 03:59 AM   #6
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Replace the alternator asap before you have to replace that and your battery.

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, Moroso, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2014 Pro Street 12.90 Class...Season Points Runner Up
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
lenko
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 Mustang GT Prem

It was my alternator also. Replaced that and fixed the code. Been good for over a year now.
lenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:07 AM   #8
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenko View Post
It was my alternator also. Replaced that and fixed the code. Been good for over a year now.
How many miles on your car when the alternator when out? Mine is an 06GT with 32k and still on the stock unit. I am fully expecting it to go eventually.

06 Satin Silver GT - Auto...ROUSH M90 CAI, Afco Dual Fan HE, 4.10s,Truetrac, Detroit Rockers, Moroso, DSS DS, TCI Rachet Shifter, PA Deep Pan, Eibach Handling, FR P Springs, Strange Shocks/Struts, J&M UCA/LCA, SS Lines/ EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/Reds, Mickey Thompson SC5, Nitto 255/305, 2011 leather, Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, MBRP Resonators, Borla

2014 Pro Street 12.90 Class...Season Points Runner Up
808muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
lenko
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 Mustang GT Prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808muscle View Post
How many miles on your car when the alternator when out? Mine is an 06GT with 32k and still on the stock unit. I am fully expecting it to go eventually.
It was just over 40 K miles. I had just installed a Series VI Saleen supercharger a few weeks before and I re clocked and turned the alternator around, so I thought maybe it was that. I started to research the code and saw that many S197 were affected with the failing alternator. I replaced it with a DB Electric High Output 160 amp 4.6 L Mustang 2005 2006 unit.
lenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #10
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMachine67 View Post
interesting...I should have it tested. It seems to still be charging though
It's a diode that goes bad and sends weird electronic signals which for whatever reason shows up in the CPS. Mine worked fine for 3 years with the code sporadically showing up. Then driving down the freeway one day it just totally died. Lucky for me my battery was ok. In order to have the alternator tested properly it will have to be removed from the car which is pretty easy. The little clamp type tool the use at the auto parts store won't usually give the best reading.

Good luck.

Don't replace the CPS anymore.

Motor Built by ST Motorsports
Tuned By Tony at Tuners Inc

11.05@129
Simon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:29 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement