Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much do you torque your wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 01:31 PM
RenGen
Banned

Yeah, i have torqued them to 100lb/ft and feel happy now, though im having a bit of anxiety lol cus i heard that torque wrenches need to be stored at lowest setting and this one was 90lb/ft when i got it D: should be ok though right?
Old 11-13-2014, 02:20 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RenGen
Yeah, i have torqued them to 100lb/ft and feel happy now, though im having a bit of anxiety lol cus i heard that torque wrenches need to be stored at lowest setting and this one was 90lb/ft when i got it D: should be ok though right?
I guess that would be me? lol.

It will be fine. I didn't mean to worry you. It takes years of storage on a higher torque setting to stretch out the spring. Even then you would only be talking about a couple of pounds difference. I shared that as a best practice to allow your tools to maintain accuracy for years and years.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Because some people have been wrenching long enough to know when something is tightened down enough but not too tight

Torque wrenches are more for when an exact torque setting is needed, ie headbolt stretch.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:21 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RenGen
oh really? i heard they were like 100+$...

I just came from the garage I had car on floor and loosened all the lug nuts a bit, then turned the bar til the lug nuts wouldnt turn easily, then turned it a bit more...hoping that gets me glutentight.

if i buy a torque wrench how many lb ft should i do it? doesnt say in my manual that i can see...is 90lb/ft a safe range?
For occasional use, forget the click-style or digital torque wrenches. All you need (or should get) is a simple beam-style torque wrench, the kind with a pointer and a scale at the handle end, and as a side benefit won't ever drift off calibration because you forgot to reset it to the scale minimum after you finished a job.

You need to be able to get to 100 ft-lbs without using the entire range of the wrench. A 1/2" drive, 0 - 150 ft-lb is exactly what you need, and should be readily available. I've had one of those for 50 years - got it as a gift, actually - and I still use it.

Norm
Old 11-14-2014, 07:54 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

+1 ^^^^
Old 11-17-2014, 02:38 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I always always always use a torque wrench on ANYTHING with a torque spec. I've got 3/8 and 1/2" drives, I personally only use craftsman or snap-on (I got a deal, $69.99 for both torque wrenches from Sears). After having several walmart brand tools break on me over the years, I just don't trust any other brands.

I changed my wife's tire on the side of the road (lucky it was 3/4mi from the house, cause she didn't have a jack or 4-way so I ran home to get em)... and I even used the torque wrench there.... she went to walmart the next day and they used an impact... sheared the stud (97 corolla, so it mightve been weak anyway).... let me tell you studs with a drum brake.... just jump of a bridge, it's easier!

Bottom line, get a decent torque wrench, or a good one if you have the money lying around (I save for tools since I work on my friends cars too, not all the time but enough to warrant it)

And if you want to believe this "gutentight" you can.. I used to... until you have parts fail, then you pay attention more....

And like others have said, store em right. I used a MWR shop's torque wrench, it was set wrong and snapped a stud on a GT500 Strut mount... that sucked having to replace that part ><
Old 11-17-2014, 03:08 PM
The01Cav
2nd Gear Member

I torque my Mustang at 120ftlb and the fusion at 110ftlb
Old 11-17-2014, 03:33 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
I always always always use a torque wrench on ANYTHING with a torque spec. I've got 3/8 and 1/2" drives,
Really? did you use a torque wrench when you installed your spoiler? EVERY bolt and screw produced has a torque spec. 90% of the bolts out there common sense will tell you when they are tight enough.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Torroba
1st Gear Member

90 to 100 lbs
Old 11-18-2014, 08:33 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

I hate to rain on everyone's parade here but torque wrenches are somewhat unreliable. In our facilities, we re-calibrate/adjust/repair/replace torque wrenches every 60 days because we were finding that at 6 month intervals, we would have some that drifted out of spec. When that happened, we would have to recapture every assembly where the torque wrench was used and re-torque the fasteners. If you are using a torque wrench you've had for 40 years and have never had it calibrated, you might as well use a socket nailed to a 2 x 4. I've even seen brand new (expensive) torque wrenches that can't repeat within +/- 5%.

That said, nobody had a torque wrench when my father changed wheels through the 40's-80's or when I did clear up until maybe 10 years ago. Never had a wheel or nut come loose.

Quick Reply: how much do you torque your wheels?