Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New PA Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default New PA Alternator

Well, breathing a bit easier now. I had read some posts saying that PA Alternators had arrived from American Muscle beat up pretty badly and damaged in shipping. Mine just showed up and it was in perfect condition. Whew!

Now, here's a couple of questions for those that have possibly been this way before. 07BLACKGT talked about his new alternator not having a clutch pulley as the OE one did. Should I consider taking the clutch pulley off my old alternator and swapping it onto the new one? Would it be worth it?
Second, I also purchased the upgraded power wire from AM. Where does this wire go? Sorry, but my car is in the detail shop and I can't just run out and look at it. Man, this is a serious hunk of wire.
I'm sure I will figure all this out, but a little direction from somebody who has done this never hurts.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Well, breathing a bit easier now. I had read some posts saying that PA Alternators had arrived from American Muscle beat up pretty badly and damaged in shipping. Mine just showed up and it was in perfect condition. Whew!

Now, here's a couple of questions for those that have possibly been this way before. 07BLACKGT talked about his new alternator not having a clutch pulley as the OE one did. Should I consider taking the clutch pulley off my old alternator and swapping it onto the new one? Would it be worth it?
Second, I also purchased the upgraded power wire from AM. Where does this wire go? Sorry, but my car is in the detail shop and I can't just run out and look at it. Man, this is a serious hunk of wire.
I'm sure I will figure all this out, but a little direction from somebody who has done this never hurts.
Thanks in advance.

Man I really hope all works out well for you. My alternator (which was chrome) came nicely boxed up also. Once they installed it, the guys at the shop notified me that it was overcharging. I was just surprised and upset at how PA performance handled the issue that I had. I'm pretty sure you'll be fine though. GL!
Old 11-19-2014, 06:46 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

The upgraded power wire should connect from the B+ terminal on the alternator to the battery. The OEM wire should be the thick cable on top of the passenger side fuel rail:
Old 11-19-2014, 07:20 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Yes, swap the clutch pulley from your original alternator.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:27 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Alternator clutch pulley

Any trick to removing the clutch pulley?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default More questions

Can I use my new PA alternator (non-clutch pulley) as is, or do I have to put a clutch pulley on it before I install it?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:56 PM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
Any trick to removing the clutch pulley?
There are tools for these pulleys; search for "alternator decoupler pulley tool." It looks like PA sells one for $19.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:39 AM
jpplaw
3rd Gear Member

Doesn't PA recommend using both the stock wire and their wire together?
Old 11-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Performance Power Wire

I called both PA and American Muscle. PA said they recommend using both wires, American Muscle said to just use the performance wire. Great. That really clears things up.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:37 AM
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

It can't hurt to use both wires, you'll effectively have one very thick gauge wire.

Quick Reply: New PA Alternator