Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:55 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Default car cover?

I'm thinking of getting a car cover for the winter mostly for when we get any major snow or ice storms. I'm leaning towards the deluxe from carcovers right now. I know a really cheap one from Walmart isn't much good, but I don't think I really need a high dollar custom one either. What do you guys think? The only issue I think I notice with the one I'm looking at is it doesn't have a space for the antennae so you either have to unscrew it every time you put the cover on or use their patch kit and punch a hole in the cover. I guess I could try one of those shorty antennas from AM though...
Old 12-24-2014, 04:10 AM
kingstrider
1st Gear Member

You could try ebay, I bought a used Covercraft cover for about $75 shipped. It is designed to fit the car and even has a sock for the antenna. Much better than a one size fits all cover.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Is it easy to put on with the sock and mirror pockets?
Old 12-24-2014, 11:53 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

MrBobcat, I have been using car covers for many decades. The ones that I usually buy are from Autoanything.com. They offer free shipping and the product is guaranteed for 3+ years depending on which item you buy. I like the Covercraft Evolution 3 or 4. It is customed so it does have pockets for mirrors but not a sock for the antenna. I just unscrew the antenna off and keep it in my truck. No big deal and doesn't take long. One thing you must remember about using a car cover, the car has to be clean anytime you put the cover on. Other wise you get fine debris embedded in the fabric which could lead to scratches. I always wipe my car down with either a microfiber towel and some detail spray or use my California Duster. Some people dismiss car covers but those are the ones who don't follow the instructions. I use it because my garage is full and I have to leave my stang parked outside. It has been 8 years now and the paint still looks new! The cover helps keep off bird poo, leaves, dust, sun and other debris. When the fabric starts to break down ( and it will) it will leave dust particles on your car. That's when you return it and they will send you another one for free.
Oh yeah, it's easy to put on and remove even with the mirror pockets. I just lift up the sides, then roll it up and put it in my trunk. To put it on you unroll and put the mirror in the pockets, then finish unrolling.

Last edited by 07 Stang; 12-24-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:54 AM
kingstrider
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
Is it easy to put on with the sock and mirror pockets?
Its an easy one man job. The antenna pocket is nice since you don't have to remove it.

Last edited by kingstrider; 12-24-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:12 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I got a can of Fabric Paint, cut a stencil out and put a logo on it;

Name:  DSC_0103.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  102.7 KB

This is what it looks like on my car;

Name:  DSC_0102.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  83.0 KB
Old 12-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

There is an advantage to a car cover with mirror pockets. The pockets act like anchors to keep the car cover from shifting around too much. Wind and car covers don't mix and any type of sliding on the paint (even with the car and cover being clean) can damage the paint. the pockets are extra insurance the cover will move less or not at all.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:54 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
There is an advantage to a car cover with mirror pockets. The pockets act like anchors to keep the car cover from shifting around too much. Wind and car covers don't mix and any type of sliding on the paint (even with the car and cover being clean) can damage the paint. the pockets are extra insurance the cover will move less or not at all.
True and tying it down also helps too. My cover has gone through numerous wind storms as well as hurricanes.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice guys, esp. 07 Stang's info. The evolution 4 looks to be a little pricey at 200 and it does't look to have the elastic on the bottom. I didn't see the evo. 3 on there either, but the block it 380 looks to be similar and has the elastic on the bottom. I can't tell if any of theirs has the antennae pockets or not though. I'll have to read the details closer. btw, I'm assuming the car has to be dry before you put the cover on? I mostly want to use it for the winter and usually use the touchless spray at the car wash, but don't always dry it, esp. if its cold out.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:08 AM
superdutyfan
1st Gear Member

we bought the roush Mustang Car Cover, Stormproof (2010-2014) its 299.00 but fits like a glove mirror pockets and antenna pocket.

Quick Reply: car cover?