Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about gauges when going F/I

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:55 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about gauges when going F/I

Hey all.

I know i've talked about going F/I before, but now i'm in a position where I can buy the X-Charger HI-PO. I'll eventually upgrade to the Xtreme, but i'm sure i'll be happy with the HI-PO. Hopefully i'll have everything in place by the end of February. I've done plenty of research on the X-Charger itself, read the installation dozens of times and it doesn't seem to difficult.

My question is about gauges. I'm not a fan of the pillar gauges, so i'm going to be buying the Auto Meter Dash Pod.

As for the gauges, I really wanted them to all say Ford Racing, but I couldn't find a Wideband AF ratio one, so i'm going with these 3:

Boost Gauge
Fuel Pressure
Wideband AF

1) Is it necessary that I install them from the get go? I understand the importance of them, but would it be safe to run without them for a month or so?

2) Does anyone here have the Autometer Dash Pod? That's the one that really appeals to me, but I don't see where I can run the wires cleanly. Am I going to have to drill holes in my dash in order to run them? I really don't want to drill holes in the dash, but i'll do it as a last resort.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-29-2015, 06:03 AM
JimC

Wideband is the most important one in my opinion and I wouldn't let that one slide for a month after adding the Xcharger.

Nice to see another "Xman" joining the group. I miss my Xcharger Xtreme and the "scream" at WOT.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
Wideband is the most important one in my opinion and I wouldn't let that one slide for a month after adding the Xcharger.

Nice to see another "Xman" joining the group. I miss my Xcharger Xtreme and the "scream" at WOT.
I figured wideband would be the most important. I've been trying to find a good installation guide for one, but can't seem to find it. Where did you put the sensor for it on yours?

I honestly can't wait to get it on the car. I've never had a car with that much power, so I didn't want to jump straight to the Xtreme. Eventually, i'll get it though!
Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Kyle@ROUSH
Former Sponsor

I would at least want to have a wideband in my car to start off. As for pillar pods, have you looked into speed of sound pods ? They make a really clean looking pod setup as well as a dash option for 05+ cars. I run one of their pillar pods on my car and its awesome, they actually take the factory pillar trim and then fit their pods onto that.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:15 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Wideband is a must. Just put it in a roush pod. Sensor goes in a bung in the exhaust pipe. Easy to cut one if you don't have one available.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kyle@ROUSH
I would at least want to have a wideband in my car to start off. As for pillar pods, have you looked into speed of sound pods ? They make a really clean looking pod setup as well as a dash option for 05+ cars. I run one of their pillar pods on my car and its awesome, they actually take the factory pillar trim and then fit their pods onto that.
Thanks Kyle! I'll look into the speed of sound pods. I saw them on AM, but didn't realize they had their own website. They only sell them in black on AM, so I might have to reconsider buying straight from them. Have you installed ones that sit on top of the dash?

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Wideband is a must. Just put it in a roush pod. Sensor goes in a bung in the exhaust pipe. Easy to cut one if you don't have one available.
Thanks 808! I'll have to see if I have a bung already available. The gauges have me more worried than the supercharger itself. Seems that it's a lot of wiring.

I think I'm just going to save up a little more that way I can do everything all at once. I've been reading that you have to tap into the driver side fuel rails. Don't want to instal everything only to take it all off again.

What are the numbers for the wideband and the fuel pressure am I shooting for? For the AF, I've been reading 14.7 at idle and in the 12s at WOT. Anything less than 14.7 is running lean while higher is rich, correct? What about the fuel pressure?
Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 AM
Kyle@ROUSH
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
Thanks Kyle! I'll look into the speed of sound pods. I saw them on AM, but didn't realize they had their own website. They only sell them in black on AM, so I might have to reconsider buying straight from them. Have you installed ones that sit on top of the dash?

Thanks 808! I'll have to see if I have a bung already available. The gauges have me more worried than the supercharger itself. Seems that it's a lot of wiring.

I think I'm just going to save up a little more that way I can do everything all at once. I've been reading that you have to tap into the driver side fuel rails. Don't want to instal everything only to take it all off again.

What are the numbers for the wideband and the fuel pressure am I shooting for? For the AF, I've been reading 14.7 at idle and in the 12s at WOT. Anything less than 14.7 is running lean while higher is rich, correct? What about the fuel pressure?

I have not installed one of the dash pods before sorry. As for the bung for the wideband generally the wideband gauge will come with the bung. In my case it was a round steel threaded bung with a shoulder machined on it which worked out really well. I just got one of the cone shaped step drill bits and slowly drilled and checked fitment until just the smaller shoulder fit into the hole leaving a nice surface to weld the bung into my midpipe.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:09 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kyle@ROUSH
I have not installed one of the dash pods before sorry. As for the bung for the wideband generally the wideband gauge will come with the bung. In my case it was a round steel threaded bung with a shoulder machined on it which worked out really well. I just got one of the cone shaped step drill bits and slowly drilled and checked fitment until just the smaller shoulder fit into the hole leaving a nice surface to weld the bung into my midpipe.
Got it. Thanks for the info.

Don't you want the sensor before the cats to get an more accurate reading? I've been reading that you want the sensor as close to the manifold as possible.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:11 AM
Kyle@ROUSH
Former Sponsor

Yes you will want it fairly close for faster/accurate reading.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:06 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6

You'll actually probably be in the mid 11's on your A/F under WOT. Mine Generally stays at 14.9ish durring idle. But you really don't need to worry about it at idle. If it's too far off, the computer will throw a code telling you.

Quick Reply: Question about gauges when going F/I