Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vent Door Actuator Problem (360 degrees)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 AM
compugeekpro

Default Vent Door Actuator Problem (360 degrees)

Hello Everyone!

I recently attempted a repair on a 2007 Mustang Climate Control System. I had the usually clicking sound that is consistent with a bad vent door actuator. It was my defrost door actuator (I believe one of the other door actuators is doing the same thing).

I installed a new one and found that it still clicked, but it was much more solid sounding since the gears weren't stripped yet. I put it on full defrost and it seems to overshoot and clicks for a while, then stops. All other settings seem correct and do no click. I already went through the calibration procedure (disconnect Climate Control Module for one minute with key in OFF position, then connect it and turn key to ON, setting the CCM to any setting other than OFF and wait 30 seconds as it cycles through).

I promptly removed the unit. I noticed that while testing the actuator while it was out, that setting it to full Defrost mode made the actuator's arm go about halfway. It then proceeded to stop, then go about 5 to 10 more degrees, then stop, then repeat until it had gone in a complete circle. At that point it stopped. This only happens on Defrost and I don't remember it doing that when it was installed (other than overshooting the defrost vent position), but I may not have let it sit long enough.

Another thing I noticed is that when switching from Defrost / Floor to Floor and back, I could get the actuator to do the 5 to 10 degree movement! It also would only advance in one direction until I switched it all the way to the Top vent setting, in which case it would reverse directions.

My girlfriend has been experiencing problems with clicking and with what sounds like the calibration procedure (cycling through all the actuators) even though the CCM was never disconnected.

Does all of this point to a bad CCM or contacts that need cleaning?

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the vertical clip off of the back of the vent setting control switch without breaking the plastic...some pointers there would be nice too.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Never power the actuators when they are out of the vehicle, this will usually cause them to hyper extend and could ruin them.

Sometimes the calibration procedure must be performed a couple of times to fully adjust the motors range. You're not supposed to make any adjustments while the motors are calibrating.

Ideally, The blower motor control should be to 1 and the vent door settings should be in the 'off' position.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-actuator.html

My post in the thread above (#7) details the exact procedure to calibrate the actuators.

Here is the source:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ke...035508_act.pdf
Old 12-03-2015, 04:41 PM
compugeekpro

Thank you for your reply! I will follow the procedure you outlined and post back with results later tonight.

Originally Posted by Derf00
Never power the actuators when they are out of the vehicle, this will usually cause them to hyper extend and could ruin them.

Sometimes the calibration procedure must be performed a couple of times to fully adjust the motors range. You're not supposed to make any adjustments while the motors are calibrating.

Ideally, The blower motor control should be to 1 and the vent door settings should be in the 'off' position.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-actuator.html

My post in the thread above (#7) details the exact procedure to calibrate the actuators.

Here is the source:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ke...035508_act.pdf