Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 05:52 PM
stwarrior23

Default Check engine light

So my check engine light came on yesterday when i started the car, i didnt notice anything wrong no leaks or anything or any noises and it ran fine and it ran fine today ive driven it probably 50 miles since the code came on.

I bought a obd2 scanner with Bluetooth off amazon and it says it will come in Friday night.

So my question is will my car be fine till then, until i can diagnose it myself?
Like i said nothing seems wrong or is performing wrong it still accelerates great and everything, i have been having idle issues and thinking that the tps finally went and the idle seems to have gotten a little rougher since the light came on.

i know its kind of a stupid question but just curiosity, ill probably be driving another 120 miles before i can get it checked. im sure its either the tps,maf or an o2 sensor cause its running fine. or bad gas.

i know the night before i did a 50-100 run and everything seemed fine after and then i drove it for 20 miles before that light came on.

thanks in advanced
Old 03-07-2016, 06:21 PM
JimC

Stop by any Auto Zone, O'Reilly's etc and they will read the code for you. There isn't any way for anyone to answer whether you will do damage driving it since without a code we don't know what is wrong.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:47 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I have an '05GT. My emissions light came on a couple years back, dealer didn't get excited, said to make a appointment. Turned out to be the fuel pump. It can even be your fuel cap not sealed, they said that can take a while to "clear" driving it. I had it come on a couple of times while dealing with my CAI. Seems to me I was told if it was a big problem, the light would flash. I reckon "JimC's" tip is a winner at any rate.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 PM
stwarrior23

Originally Posted by algregory
I have an '05GT. My emissions light came on a couple years back, dealer didn't get excited, said to make a appointment. Turned out to be the fuel pump. It can even be your fuel cap not sealed, they said that can take a while to "clear" driving it. I had it come on a couple of times while dealing with my CAI. Seems to me I was told if it was a big problem, the light would flash. I reckon "JimC's" tip is a winner at any rate.
yeah i had problems with my cai so i got a new one and never had that problem again. but now roughly 10 months later it came on again. but the thing is i just dont have time even to go to a auto shop to scan it, thats why i bought the scanner online and was gonna scan it myself when it came in. thats why i asked if you guys think it will be ok just for a few more days? like you said with the flashing if its serious it will flash or some other light will come on, or ill notice some thing like rough in the car

Last edited by stwarrior23; 03-07-2016 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:39 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

If it is driving just fine, then yes, you will be good until you get the scanner. If the light bothers you that much and you don't like the wait, go to a parts store and get it checked. takes literally 1 min to check. And they do it free.

Flashing check engine light only means a misfire is currently occurring. Such as a dead coil. Flashing has nothing to do with the severity of the problem.

And by all means, let us know what the code is BEFORE you waste money throwing parts at it.

Imma use my crystal ball here and say you will have code(s) P0171, P0174.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 03-08-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:30 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Going by my '07 Owner's Guide, there is a big difference between a steady Emission System light and a blinking Emission System light. "If the light is blinking, engine misfire is occurring..." "Under engine misfire conditions, excessive exhaust temperatures could damage the catalytic converter, the fuel system, interior floor coverings or other vehicle components, possibly causing a fire."

A steady light is usually not so serious. Yes, you need to know the trouble codes.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:36 PM
stwarrior23

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
If it is driving just fine, then yes, you will be good until you get the scanner. If the light bothers you that much and you don't like the wait, go to a parts store and get it checked. takes literally 1 min to check. And they do it free.

Flashing check engine light only means a misfire is currently occurring. Such as a dead coil. Flashing has nothing to do with the severity of the problem.

And by all means, let us know what the code is BEFORE you waste money throwing parts at it.

Imma use my crystal ball here and say you will have code(s) P0171, P0174.
yeah im probably gonna post another thread saying my codes. But what are those codes? o2 sensor or vacuum leak?
i unplugged the neg battery terminal this morning and the light has gone off we will see if it pops back on.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:27 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

P0171=system too lean (bank 1)
P0174=system too lean (bank 2)
Old 03-09-2016, 08:38 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Don't make another thread to post the codes. Makes future searches more difficult for others. The problem is described here, lets keep the fix here.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:40 PM
stwarrior23

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
Don't make another thread to post the codes. Makes future searches more difficult for others. The problem is described here, lets keep the fix here.

So i ran for codes and it said no codes where stored in the ecu. But when i tested results for emissions it read that there was no voltage on, O2 bank 1 and 2 sensor 3. All else where in good shape according to the obd scanner. those 2 said not ok, i guess they had no voltage.

Not quite sure why it said no fault codes, but i guess when i took the battery terminal off it reset them?
And at idle i noticed vacuum was at 22ish in/Hg and then when you got on it, it went down to basically zero the lowest reading i got was 2.2 but i had to let off.

Quick Reply: Check engine light