Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best upgrade parts? Front rotors and pads to reduce fade.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:57 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tom Boismier
Standard GT brakes.
If you want really good brakes, install the GT500 brembos. I did that on my 2007 GT and was really impressed, no brake fade, and killer stopping power.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:24 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Sometimes, you can get a screaming deal on big brakes on eBay. I got a set of four piston StopTechs, 2 piece rotors, etc. for $700.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:53 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I have Akebono Pro Act pads and Centric rotors. Very happy with this combo. Don't forget the Speed Bleeder screws-best invention since sliced bread.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:50 PM
Tom Boismier
1st Gear Member

OK, thanks for the feedback! I'm not doing anything any one of you said

Front and rear Hawk Sector 27 rotors, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, Russell stainless steel braided steel brake hoses and flush and fill with RBF600. Also going to do a FFRP adjustable handling pack, rear shock brace, Boss 302 staggered wheel set and new shoes. The tax man giveth and the parts store taketh away.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:03 PM
CMcNam
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tom Boismier
OK, thanks for the feedback! I'm not doing anything any one of you said

Front and rear Hawk Sector 27 rotors, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, Russell stainless steel braided steel brake hoses and flush and fill with RBF600. Also going to do a FFRP adjustable handling pack, rear shock brace, Boss 302 staggered wheel set and new shoes. The tax man giveth and the parts store taketh away.
Save your money on rotors and get some cooling ducts. The rotors won't do anything for you.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:51 AM
Tom Boismier
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CMcNam
Save your money on rotors and get some cooling ducts. The rotors won't do anything for you.
Nah bro. That **** be fugly. Orange plastic ducting, are you kidding me? :icon_cr ackup::i con_crackup::icon_crac kup:
Old 03-29-2016, 12:13 PM
Granatelli Sales
Former Sponsor

We have dimpled and slotted brake rotors available for your GT. We sell them in a complete set of 4 or you can order the front and rear separately.

Rotors install easily with basic hand tools and offer a better cosmetic appearance. You will see a 15-percent decrease in stopping distance due to the rotors increased heat absorption and faster thermal recovery. Also these rotors help eliminate brake pedal fade after repeated hard stops. Works fine with ABS and maintains OE civility.

Benefits and Features:

Zinc Coating - wipes away after 10 miles leaving a beautiful looking rotor with the dimples and slots highlighted in black or silver and a shinny face surface.

Scraper Slots - These fully dissipate heat, increase bite and reduce stopping distance. Slots also help to de-glaze and even out brake pads while throwing dust and debris away from the wheels. It also sheds water under-wet driving conditions.

Drilled (Dimpled) Holes - Granatelli does not drill their rotors completely through, because cross drilling sacrifices the structural integrity of the rotor which causes warping and cracking. A major feature of their blind degassing dimpled holes is that they extend the life of the rotors and pads and they dissipate heat with maximum braking performance under all necessary driving conditions.

Balanced & Vented - Rotors are machine balanced, vented for cooling, X-Ray Inspected and manufactured to meet QS and ISO quality system standards.

We offer rotors in silver and black zinc finish.

Front and rear brake rotor set MSRP $760, your cost $550

Front set MSRP $450, your cost $335

Rear set MSRP $310, your cost $230

We will be happy to honor these prices for all Mustang Forums members.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:49 PM
dusman59
1st Gear Member

Dot 4 should be flushed once a year with normal driving. Dot 5.1 should be good for two years. With a tracked car many change it way more often. Never use dot 5 in our systems.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:23 PM
Tom Boismier
1st Gear Member

There's so much conflicting information out there about benefits / weaknesses of slotting and drilling. Granatelli, do you have a slotted-only option?
Old 03-29-2016, 08:31 PM
Tom Boismier
1st Gear Member

Also conflicting information on how often you should flush brake fluid, with zero documentation that 5.1 needs to be changed more or less often than 4. It's just like the "never switch from fossil to synthetic oil!" mumbo jumbo the Harley mechanics used to spout - until Harley came out with their own brand of synthetic. No real data, no real answers. :/

Quick Reply: Best upgrade parts? Front rotors and pads to reduce fade.