Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Engine Install Cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 03:39 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Used Engine Install Cost

Ok...one last post about this lol....

I just want to be sure I'm not getting completely raked over the coals. I was quoted $1,600 for everything...

Removal of old engine
Removal & Re-installation of:
P&P Throttle Body
Fuel Injectors
Fuel Pressure Sender
Boost tubing
Catch Can
Coil Pack & Wires

Installation of the following new parts:
T-Stat Housing & thermo stat
Fuel Filter
New Plugs - Gapped to .35
Oil Change & Filter
Water Pump
Install/Weld Race Valve

All of that for $1,600, but that also includes dyno tuning...

Is that a fair price?
Old 04-07-2016, 07:23 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

Wow I figured you were going to say $500.00. I guess that's why I do that stuff myself.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:21 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

That's not terrible I don't think I do all my own work but when I worked for a shop lowest book time engine swap I saw was 12 hours so you figure middle of the road labor price of $75/HR that's $900 just in labor and some shops charge as high as $80/HR depending on qualifications of the tech doing the work. My last dyno tune cost me $386 out the door. So that's $1200-$1300 right there. Not including any gaskets or other parts they replace as needed such as motor mounts water pump etc. if they are doing it the right way (all new gaskets,water pump maybe even oil pump depending on shop) $1600 seems about right. We always did the hard to get to stuff on used motors so we could warranty them against failure. It adds up quick. Most people forget the little parts that nickel and dime you to death.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:48 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

A dyno tune by a reputable tuner, many times runs $400-$500 for a forced induction setup, and that's only the tuning... so for a motor R & R plus a tune, that's very reasonable for someone else to do all the work.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys...it makes it a little easier to swallow. This is the first time I've let anyone do anything to my baby. My original plan was to swap to a v8, take my time and learn as I go...but it's been sitting for about a year now and I don't think i can wait to save up the extra funds and gather the testicular fortitude to do an engine swap for the first time. My Procharger sat for like a year before I had the nerve to put that in lol.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:03 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Sounds very reasonable in today's world.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:07 AM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

The actual swaps are not that hard. Lots of little details. The tuning, however, is way beyond me. Half of my Mustangs still have Holley's.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:56 AM
09GT/CS
2nd Gear Member

The easiest way is buy a running wreck of the same generation. Then you have the whole car to use as a template especially if it's your first time trying. Then you can part out what's left to help offset cost. Swapped a few explorer v8s to Rangers that way. We used to get them wrecked but running with decent miles for $500-$1k depending on features. It's not to bad if you can find a good wreck id say go for the swap!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:06 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

See that was my plan...when I finished tallying up what I wanted to do I got up to the $25k range lol. Even then the interior and other parts of the car wouldn't be new...so I'm thinking of just leaving this how it is and then picking up a v8 new down the road. I may change my mind at some point if I come across a really good deal...but thats realllllly far down the road if at all. Right now I just want to get it back on the road...I miss driving it. After the engine work is done I'm stripping the interior and re-doing the audio setup. More to come!
Old 04-17-2016, 01:31 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

So what is changing that requires a new tune? Just the engine change, or is boost being added (or changed)? If it is just an engine swap, a tune *might* not be needed; although tweaking things to the exact engine is not a bad thing with over 10 psi on these 6-bangers.

If you look at it like 1200 for engine work and 400 tuning, then it's not so bad.

Quick Reply: Used Engine Install Cost