Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure if I should believe this - is this a rip off of what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 04:27 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

Angry Not sure if I should believe this - is this a rip off of what?

Last month I posted about some shifting issues, and yesterday I also noticed that rear differential is leaking some gear oil.
So I took the car to the local dealership. They called me back telling me this shocking story:

Because of the unusual leak, I need to rebuild my rear differential - they quote me 1300$ (?????!!!)

Also, supposedly because my clutch is worn up, it destroyed my transsmission, and it needs a rebuild ( 3k $$$ WTH? )
They said because the clutch is worn up, it destroyed the synchros and the forks, cuz something went too far or some other strange explanation.

What do you think guys?

They aslo offered me 1000 for my convertible GT if I want to trade it in. They are messing with me, right?

Should I get a new transmission and whole assembled rear end? How much would that be to install ( and put a new clutch while they are at it? )

The car has 170000 miles now...
Attached Thumbnails Not sure if I should believe this - is this a rip off of what?-img_1802.jpg   Not sure if I should believe this - is this a rip off of what?-img_1803.jpg   Not sure if I should believe this - is this a rip off of what?-img_1807.jpg  
Old 04-20-2016, 10:59 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

get a second opinion somewhere thats not a dealership, and from what it looks like it might be a pinion seal leak, which i had happened to me on my 13' gt.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:08 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

I smell BS. It's probably just a pinion seal and you probably just need a new clutch that's all. Go to another shop.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:50 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ym42
So I took the car to the local dealership.
They're not called STEALERSHIPS for nothing and by the tone of your description, these guys are a bunch of tossbags trying to stick it to you where the sun never shines. Run away and go to another shop pronto!
You probably have a leaking pinion seal on the rear diff., and the shifting problem is most likely to be a worn clutch. At worst you might also need to have the flywheel resurfaced or replaced.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:28 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Don't fall for it......We all have minor pinion seal leaks over time .. it's not a big deal and it's an easy fix.
Ya, you may need a new clutch but I doubt very much if your tranny needs replacing.
Nice try on their part...They are probably hoping that you will panic and trade up.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:37 AM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

Cool

Got the printed out quote from the dealership. For some reason they are not quoting the labor only the parts to start with.

The service manager told me the leak is from the inside of the differential input shaft, not the outside seal - thus the differential need to be disassembled and they want to get a new bearing and gear and pinion ).

For the new clutch, they want something called clutch kit worth 900$ ( can't I get that cheaper, aftermarket? )

For the transmission ( which I think only has a bent fork ) they want 3 new syncros, 2 gates and 2 new gears (?).

All the parts on the price-list from the dealership are available online with ~30% discount. They quoted 3200 and I can probably get those for about 2300...

Any advice regarding how to deal with this?
Old 04-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

RUN!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 04:23 PM
winkawak
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ym42
Got the printed out quote from the dealership. For some reason they are not quoting the labor only the parts to start with.

The service manager told me the leak is from the inside of the differential input shaft, not the outside seal - thus the differential need to be disassembled and they want to get a new bearing and gear and pinion ).

For the new clutch, they want something called clutch kit worth 900$ ( can't I get that cheaper, aftermarket? )

For the transmission ( which I think only has a bent fork ) they want 3 new syncros, 2 gates and 2 new gears (?).

All the parts on the price-list from the dealership are available online with ~30% discount. They quoted 3200 and I can probably get those for about 2300...

Any advice regarding how to deal with this?
DID YOU NOT READ ANY OF YOUR REPLIES, WHY ARE YOU ASKING THIS QUESTION AGAIN? SMH

Last edited by winkawak; 04-22-2016 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:41 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Yeah, have it towed to another shop... Those prices are insane.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:48 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

I found the new Tremec 5 speed transmission on eBay for ~850$ and that's what I think I am going to do. I do believe that something is wrong with the transmission ( it had always behaved funny but now its getting really bad with around 2nd gear ). I know the dealership tried to bull**** me into helping them to turn profits but I think they do know Fords better than other small neighborhood shops (?). I guess I will drive around for some second opinions when I have time. I might consider replacing the differential with a Torsen, and change the bearings and possibly gears while we are at it...
Which aftermarket clutch should I get? My car is all stock but I drive it like I stole it at every light.

Quick Reply: Not sure if I should believe this - is this a rip off of what?