Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI - Cold Air Intake - No Benefit

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

Default CAI - Cold Air Intake - No Benefit

I've always wondered about adding a CAI and have been told repeatedly that these days they are a waste of money. I'm inclined to agree, but I'm not going to say anything on the issue. If you're interested in what Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak has to say about it, you can see it in this video. Skip to 4:45 to hear what he says about the CAI. Pretty eye opening.

Drive safe!
Old 09-24-2016, 12:28 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

agreed, been saying that since they introduced this style air box. of course companies will sell you an air box and tune and say they gained X HP, but in reality the gain is from the tune, and the air box is just to charge you another $300-400
Old 09-24-2016, 12:36 PM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

What depresses me is that I see all these young dudes throwing their hard-earned money into things like that and if they hear from you that they might be scammed, they go off the rails. Moreover, I've confronted some Mustang aftermarket companies (that I won't name here) about this and they either delete my posts from the forum, or from YouTube without addressing this pretty basic question.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:44 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

yep, people would rather drink the koo aid than accept that they were scammed, and the companies want to hide that fact so they can continue selling fancy window dressing. its kinda like these lol

the electric supercharger is the best, a fool and his money lol
Old 09-24-2016, 12:58 PM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

I remember the Tornado! Man, those people should be thrown in jail. Biggest bunch of lying crooks to walk the Earth. A buddy of mine was absolutely dying to make his Crown Victoria (don't ask) go faster and he was asking my friends and me what we thought about him putting one in and it took all day to talk him out of it.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:39 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Yep had 3 different CAI, waste of money, maybe, just maybe a drop in K&N filter, still $40+
Old 09-24-2016, 11:06 PM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

Dude, I'm not a fan of the 2015+ body style, but I've got to say that's the baddest-assed Mustang I've seen in a loooong time.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:54 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nomad8888
I've always wondered about adding a CAI and have been told repeatedly that these days they are a waste of money.
It depends on how restrictive the stock airbox and intake pipe are in the first place, and how well designed is the aftermarket CAI. Some aftermarket CAIs have a filter that's so small that it flows less air than the stock airbox, and others don't have a heatshield to prevent the filter from inhaling hot underhood air. If you want a CAI, be careful which one you choose. Many are indeed a waste of money.
Regardless, most of the HP gain comes from the tune and if you increase the size of the pipe that the MAF sensor sits in, you definitely need a tune to reset the MAF transfer curve. In 2010+ GT models and all V6 models, I'd just install a drop-in K&N filter and get a custom tune.
There are plenty of other "snake oil" products that are claimed to add HP or improve fuel economy when all they really do is lighten your wallet. The following really take the cake:

Throttle body spacer
Tornado & Turbonator air intakes
Fuel magnetizer
Electric supercharger

On our Mustangs you could also add aftermarket COPs, shorty headers, and axleback exhausts to the list unless you want the latter only for the sound.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:35 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nomad8888
Dude, I'm not a fan of the 2015+ body style, but I've got to say that's the baddest-assed Mustang I've seen in a loooong time.
If referring to my car thank you I really like it,
At first it was sort of forced on me as I was
Wanting a 5.0 but not pricey, they said we can only
Give best deal on this one so now I have I love
It.

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 09-25-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:01 AM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

Smile

Yeah, I don't want to be a rube about it and pay for a bunch of crap like a CAI that promises the moon and does nothing. I know American Muscle recently had a CAI on their site that offered something like a 40% gain over the stock airbox. I like those dudes, but I simply don't believe the claim.

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
...axleback exhausts to the list unless you want the latter only for the sound.
I'm thinking about an axleback myself. I like the way the Roush sounds and it's my understanding the stock mufflers weigh a great deal - so there's that. Dropping a little weight in back can always help.
Oh, and any mods would be done to this car:

...and not the one in my sig. Truth be told, aside from replacing the gears (3.73s) and the pipes I mentioned, I don't see the need to do a whole lot to these cars on account of the fact that Ford got soooooo much right with them the first go around. I mean, I'm sure I could get it up to 700+ hp with a ton of torque, but I could also put a jet engine on it too. It's plenty fast for me as it is.

Oh, and I was talking about your car 6+6. It looks great in black. The lines really stand out and I think that vehicle looks much better murdered out than the previous generation. Just keep a microfiber towel handy.

Last edited by Nomad8888; 09-25-2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Because I can't effin' spell when I'm sleepy.

Quick Reply: CAI - Cold Air Intake - No Benefit