Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Permanent Fix to Door Panel Peeling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default Permanent Fix to Door Panel Peeling?

I'm sure a lot of us have had this issue: the vinyl inside door panel starts peeling off.

I have my interior guy fix this about once a month. I managed to do it myself last time, but once again it comes right back off.

Is there any more permanent fix to this?
Old 02-08-2017, 03:44 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

What adhesive are you using?

I think I have seen a similar thread (long time ago though) with photos but I forget what was used.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:46 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

I found out what upholstery shop the Ford dealer where I bought my Mustang used to repair them and took mine there. The guy had repaired hundreds of them and did a perfect job that has stayed tight and looks like new. Only my drivers side was loose but I had the passenger side done as well. The whole thing took about 2 hours and cost around $130.00 (worth every penny).
Find a real auto upholstery shop that local Ford dealers use and get the job done correctly.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:48 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I put a note here awhile back, couple/few months ago. I used Phenoseal Vinyl Adhesive Caulk to do my '05 GT panels. Got it at Lowe's.

Got the idea to use from my brother a car buff do it himself fellow in excess of 30 years. He uses the product for many purposes, never lets him down.

Peal the vinyl back, scrap off old residue stuff, smear stuff liberally on door surface, press door panel back in place. The great thing that got my attention beyond his vote is that he said it is water soluble. So if any attempts to leak out around the edges as you press rub panel back in place with damp/wet rag, you can easily clean it up. FWIW
Old 12-28-2019, 10:58 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cavediver
I found out what upholstery shop the Ford dealer where I bought my Mustang used to repair them and took mine there. The guy had repaired hundreds of them and did a perfect job that has stayed tight and looks like new. Only my drivers side was loose but I had the passenger side done as well. The whole thing took about 2 hours and cost around $130.00 (worth every penny).
Find a real auto upholstery shop that local Ford dealers use and get the job done correctly.
Just an update on my door panel fix. After 4 years the door panels are still tight and look perfect. Having them repaired by a professional auto upholstery shop is totally worth it!