Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Super snake Stripes, tint, louvers on!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

I know I know...old thread. but I really hope that the person installing the stripes just was no good at it and its not a super hard job. My super snake stripes are in the mail and I plan to install them myself.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Never mind. After posting, I realized the thread is two years old.

Last edited by jsimmonstx; 04-12-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:53 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

so many lines on these cars, stripes are a bitch. they have to be crooked in some parts to look straight. they never got those stripes perfect, but i lived with the little issues since i was the only one that saw them.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
so many lines on these cars, stripes are a bitch. they have to be crooked in some parts to look straight. they never got those stripes perfect, but i lived with the little issues since i was the only one that saw them.
urgh, I'm already getting bummed out. I can almost picture the front bumper and how its going to fight me. If a heat gun shrinks it I might be ok. Ill have to check out youtube for some tips. OR, I might have a pro tackle this one.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:49 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Minion
urgh, I'm already getting bummed out. I can almost picture the front bumper and how its going to fight me. If a heat gun shrinks it I might be ok. Ill have to check out youtube for some tips. OR, I might have a pro tackle this one.
when i bought that blue car, stripes were part of the deal they tried to not do the front bumper the first time. i called them on it and raised hell, the reason was that they claim it takes their pro nearly a day to get that bumper area correct. the guy had to cut different shapes out to get them to lay correctly. granted they hand cut those stripes form bulk vinyl, maybe pre-cut are easier. i watched the stripe guy locally struggle for an hour to get the spoiler right when i swapped it on that car, i would never do that myself. i vote pro or you will probably end up fubaring your stripes.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

Does anyone know where i can find blue ss stripes or blue stripes in general but preferably ss.

I wish AM had them bc i trust them more then any other company and i would love to go black but the blue rocker stripe on my 10 gt from the factory has really grown on me. I wasnt too crazy about the rocker stripe when i first got it
Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
when i bought that blue car, stripes were part of the deal they tried to not do the front bumper the first time. i called them on it and raised hell, the reason was that they claim it takes their pro nearly a day to get that bumper area correct. the guy had to cut different shapes out to get them to lay correctly. granted they hand cut those stripes form bulk vinyl, maybe pre-cut are easier. i watched the stripe guy locally struggle for an hour to get the spoiler right when i swapped it on that car, i would never do that myself. i vote pro or you will probably end up fubaring your stripes.
Well, looking back at this I know two things now.
1. I love the stripes now that its done
2. I should of just gotten them painted on.
Maaco quoted me $400 for the stripes. I might be less than most because its a convertible. I should of just gone that way. However, I don't think I did too bad for my first time. the spoiler was a B**ch!! 1/2 of it came out good...the other half I had a few very small wrinkles I just could NOT get out. I think I spent an hour just on the spoiler. The front bumper wasn't too bad....the area that didn't come out well will be hidden by the front plate so I didn't really try that hard to get it to come out right. A hair dryer is YOUR BEST FRIEND. it just can't be done without some heat. As of now it passes the 5 foot test...if you get close you can see a few small mistakes here and there, but its not bad. I'm glad the hood came out perfectly because that is what gets the most attention.

The first day I went out I had 3 people comment on my car...thats what makes it all worth it. Someday I will get the stripes painted on....for now, this works. Ill post a picture shortly.

Lastly, if anybody finds this post....it CAN be done (of course) just plan to take your time....the spoiler will take some time. If you did the spoiler delete you are in LUCK, it should come out flawless. I'm no pro and you can see how I did. Oh, and recruit a friend to help. A 2nd set of hands is a must.

EDIT:
ok, here is the picture. I wasn't done yet putting on the stripes at the time...but this picture came out the best. I'm sure I will get more very soon.

Last edited by Minion; 04-17-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added a picture.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 AM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

I'm gonna be paying $1500 for my stripes in May - they damn well better be perfect.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 AM
TommyB681
2nd Gear Member

looks awsome!