Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's
Old 10-20-2015, 10:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Anyone installing 2011 side mirror glass on 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:19 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Hard to tell since a camera doesn't have peripheral vision. If properly adjusted, you will see the car w/ peripheral vision as it leaves the side mirror's view. It would be handy for parking and merging, however.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
Is this for seeing TWO lanes over? Because if you have your side mirrors adjusted properly, there is no blind spot one lane over unless you are in a curve in which case you should do a head check anyway. Of course, 95% of cars on the road have the side mirrors improperly adjusted to show the same view as the windshield-mounted rear view mirror.
Mine are adjusted properly. Most people like to see a good deal of their cars body in the mirror for some reason. Anyway, Im all about extra safety, so this is money well spent. I think its something that should have been on the 2010 from the start so Im getting them.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 PM
iDance
2nd Gear Member

If I had a 2011 I would swap to the 2010. Mirrors work well when you adjust them properly and then you don't need blind spot mirrors!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

I'm mainly getting these because I only have a half inch of clearance on my drivers side rear fender when I park in my garage. Bit of a tight fit.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:53 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

My wife has these on her 10 Edge. i'm not a fan, they really don;t seem to work that much better to me. i still end up looking around because they tend to just show a slightly different view of what you see in the normal mirrors. plus, IMHO the mirrors are ugly. I drove the edge for about two weeks while my stang was in the shop, i just didn't like the mirrors really didn't seem to do much.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

you cannot properly adjust your normal mirrors to not have a blind spot. The video exaggerates it, but once you get used to it you never have to look over your shoulder to make sure there isn't someone there. The right one is useless, though I found its nice if you are a passenger because you can use the corner spot to see to the side of the vehicle. Since I drive so much not being able to pay attention to the road while riding shotgun makes me nervous for some reason.

If you are an observant driver, no these will not help you. I think its a better solution at least to the blind spot monitoring systems.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:04 AM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

Gotta say, if you can't tell if there is a car right next to you (where that blind spot appears to be), you probably shouldn't drive.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
Gotta say, if you can't tell if there is a car right next to you (where that blind spot appears to be), you probably shouldn't drive.
This.

And really, if you want to spend $200 on tiny extra mirrors just so you dont have to turn your head is just damn lazy. Not to mention unsafe, because you begin to rely on something that might not always work for you.

I have the backup camera on my car and I still turn my head to look for cars/bikes/kids everytime I back up. Everytime.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:53 PM
m0nkeydump
2nd Gear Member

Good thing the '11 comes with it. I'll try it, but if I don't like it I might just remove it.

Even if I don't think there is a car in my blind spot, I still check it. At night, when I don't see light in the lanes next to me, I turn my head to check it just to be safe. When I was driving my '98 mustang, the little quarter windows did hinder my view. Right now, I'm driving a '02 Accord sedan and goddamn, I can see almost 360 degrees out of my car with big un-tinted windows.

Unfortunately, on the road, I often encounter drivers that switch lanes by checking only side mirrors. Whenever I see a car in the lane next to me start creeping into my lane, and I know I'm in their blind spot, I just gun it past them. Oh, and because of how many careless drivers there are on the road, I try to never drive in someone's blind spot. I will either be behind them or just pass them quickly.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:27 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Never2mucHP
This.

And really, if you want to spend $200 on tiny extra mirrors just so you dont have to turn your head is just damn lazy. Not to mention unsafe, because you begin to rely on something that might not always work for you.

I have the backup camera on my car and I still turn my head to look for cars/bikes/kids everytime I back up. Everytime.

how would the mirror suddenly not work?

would you consider backup camera and sensors unsafe then? Extra safety features, especially ones that don't weigh anything can never be a bad thing

Quick Reply: Anyone installing 2011 side mirror glass on 2010?