Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

which wax/polish?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:30 PM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

Default which wax/polish?

I know there was a post a little while back around this but just can't find it. What would you recommend for someone that is looking for a higher quality finish but not looking to go all out. I'm tired of the autozone waxes that I'm never really happy with the finish. Most recent was the liquid Ice. Came out OK but doesn't give that deep mirror glaze I want.

I picked up some Mequires car glaze #7 today as I've heard good stuff about that but I know I need a wax to support that product. I was looking at the Meguires pinnacle products but I got confused really fast as their are just about a million different products.

I've got a black and 2 dark blue cars. What would your recommend from car wash to final buffing. I have a couple of shows this month I want to car to pop at. Would like to stay below $200 for everything I need though as I don't want to go cheap but have a budget.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:53 PM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

I found the post as well as the forum section for this. Mods you can remove this if you would like.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:04 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

if you want something good you can buy locally..go to walmart and get AutoGlyme HD..its on clearance for $20...from what i have gathered so far its very good stuff.

What thread was it you were looking for?
Old 03-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

I do the meguires products. 5 steps Starting with the Wash, clay bar, wax stripper, polish, and last the wax. Using a micro fiber wash mitt, and micro fiber towels for wiping the wax off. If you emailed or called meguires they can point you into the right direction on what you should get. It should easily come in under $200 I would think.

If you never clay bar'd the car. You should do so. You will be surprised on how much sticks to the paint from transport to the dealer. ( and the dealer doesn't clay bar before delivery)
Old 03-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Hoofprint
2nd Gear Member

Zaino...best of the best IMO
Old 03-27-2011, 01:43 PM
5.0_StangLover

I am Meguiars all the way. Conditioning wash soap, then clay bar, and finally their NXT wax. It is truly an amazing shine after that combo! The meguiars website is pretty informative. Even if you dont want to use their products, you can learn a lot from reading through it. You can even put a "profile" of your car in and it will help guide you to the products you need for the look you desire.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

i just used Turtle Wax Black box today. it took 2 hrs to do, 6 microfibers, and turned my hands black, but the car looks good. it was my first time using this product, so i dont know how long it will last, so ill see. has anyone else used it?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 PM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lv XLR8N
I do the meguires products. 5 steps Starting with the Wash, clay bar, wax stripper, polish, and last the wax. Using a micro fiber wash mitt, and micro fiber towels for wiping the wax off. If you emailed or called meguires they can point you into the right direction on what you should get. It should easily come in under $200 I would think.

If you never clay bar'd the car. You should do so. You will be surprised on how much sticks to the paint from transport to the dealer. ( and the dealer doesn't clay bar before delivery)
This is actually exactally what I did. It was just a tad over $200 but that is because I took advantage of the BOGO on the drying towels at autogeek. I got the Pinnacle wash, clay bar kit, car show polish and carnuba wax. Also got their leather cleaner/cond kit. Heard a lot of good stuff about the pinnacle stuff and used autogeek for some help. Fingers crossed I finally get that deep gloss I've been looking for.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:52 PM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
What thread was it you were looking for?
It was the detail post on the main page. I actually did a search by threads you have been part of and started reading. Everytime I see a detail/wax thread I've seen you chime in so used you as my search filter. Hope you don't mind :-)
Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outastockjohn
i just used Turtle Wax Black box today. it took 2 hrs to do, 6 microfibers, and turned my hands black, but the car looks good. it was my first time using this product, so i dont know how long it will last, so ill see. has anyone else used it?
wow..that doesnt sound like a very good product. needed 6 towels to do the car and 2hrs..I can usually wax my entire car in about 20mins and use 1 towel.

if you want your black car to look awesome..Invest in some poorboys black hole glaze..I love the stuff..then top it with any wax you like to lock the glaze in.

Last edited by 05xrunner; 03-27-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: which wax/polish?