Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

How can I paint my own rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:25 PM
r0cky00

Default How can I paint my own rims?

I've read some places that you can paint your own rims but I wanted to know if it was possible w/ out sand blasting them first. I was thinking about cleaning them up really good and painting over top and then sealing them with a glossy finish to protect them.

If this isn't feasable, I wanted to know if anyone else has had this professionally done and how much it cost you per rim. I don't want to blow $100 per rim because I'd rather just buy a new rim for $150 or so off of Tire Rack. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts or info on this. I appreciate any help you can give me!

I just don't like the brightness of the stock rims, gun metal would be perfect I think since I'll be tinting my windows eventually. Going for a darker look.

I tried searching for other posts but didn't find anything except for Rim picture rendering by Xeno to show what painted rim looks like (he does a good job by the way).
Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

you can definitely paint your own wheels. it is difficult to do properly. you have to have a lot of patience for the clean, prep, sanding, primer, paint process. I am no expert so I won't begin to try to tell you how to.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 PM
pro134
1st Gear Member

My friend and I actually just painted my rims about 3 weeks ago and let me tell you it is very possible. The method we used was to
1.wash the rim
2.then wet sand the entire rim with 320 wet/dry sand paper to remove the clear coat
3.paint them with some rim paint (autozone) or any kind of automotive paint
4.clear coat it and admire your work.

The key is to go slow. take your time sanding it to get all the clear off and spray light even coats at first then darker coats. let each coat dry completely before you do the next one. ill upload a picture of mine finished soon
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 PM
pro134
1st Gear Member

Check my albums i cant figure out how to upload them to this thread right now sorry
Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 PM
r0cky00

Not looking for that fancy 2-tone look but those are very nice looking rims! That seems like a possibility then. For me, I think I will have a backup plan. I'll get an estimate first to have them professionally done, then I'll try to do one at a time. If I fail, I will just take emm in and get them done right.

I don't have much faith in my own work sometimes... and definately not with sanding. I just remodeled my bathroom with new sheetrock walls and found that mudding is an art learned with experience. Lots of sanding because I didn't know how much mud to use in the first place. Too much and too little.

Thanks for the idea / confirmation though. I will look into this option a bit more and see where I get.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 PM
KonaStangPete
2nd Gear Member

dug up an old thread for ya sir, its what i was running before gettin my brembo takeoffs

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2010...-blue-lip.html
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 AM
r0cky00

Can I just have your rims? LOL. Those look so nice in your signature... grr! I'll trade emm straight up! Haha. I'm sure yours are worth a lot more than mine are. These aren't bad rims, they just don't go with my preference.

Thanks for the thread find, I guess I don't even have patience to go through a bunch of search pages.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 AM
r0cky00

Just read the thread, very good write-up actually. Might just do that. Instead of $600 for decent/cheap pair of rims or $300-400 for professional powder coat job, this is a good "poor mans" way of re-styling rims. Exactly what I was asking about.

If anyone else has other suggestions I would still like to hear them!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 AM
KonaStangPete
2nd Gear Member

yea they looked great when i first did em, started showing signs of wear n tear after like a year n thats when i got my brembo takeoffs, running the 17s as winter rims from now on. good luck with whatever you decide on
Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 PM
pro134
1st Gear Member

I like to think of it as a quick solution untill i need new tires. Then ill get some real rims like the Black Saleens. But good luck and grab a friend, im sure theyll look great! Post pics when your done!!

Quick Reply: How can I paint my own rims?