Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Car Wash #$%*!# up My Forgestar Wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 03:34 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by yankeehick5.0
Thanks a lot for the advice. Does this hotrod stuff work for minor nicks and sratches on a matte black finish with a brush? Or do I have to spray it on?
The idea of spraying is to make it perfect but for touch up, I can't see why you couldn't use it with a brush.
If you do, don't use the reducer that comes with the kit.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 PM
SKAR

You could also try John Deere blitz black.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:15 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by SKAR
You could also try John Deere blitz black.
I've been using it until it started reacting when you used catalyst with it.
They obviously changed the formula so I Xed it out of my little world.
If you don't use catalyst with the Blitz (8 to 1 ratio), it simply looks grey after a while and flat instead of semi gloss.

Eastwood also has a similar product to the Hot Rod but I never used it...
Old 05-27-2012, 07:06 PM
IA Shelby
1st Gear Member

I used a wheel cleaner from a high end detailer. They looked like your disaster and kept getting worse. I then convinced myself it was just brake dust.

So while attending Shelbyfest I had my car detailed by a professional that came in from Chicago. He put this stuff called "more Shine" by Stoner on my wheels. He said whatever I was using was causing the problem. He used his stuff and my wheels look better than when they were new. They also stay clean after driving the car. You do need to apply in the garage with the door down.

A picture of my car to give you a sense. BTW my wheels looked worse than yours prior to using this stuff.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:15 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

I am sorry but why would you take your car through a carwash. I am sure those dirty *** brushes that slap the crap out of your car were filled with dirt and wreaked havoc on your wheels and I will bet your paint looks like total hell after being pummeled by those brushes. They use harsh chemicals in those things and they dont ever really rinse fully clean. I wouldnt take my lawnmower thorough one of those swirl-o-matics let alone my car. Sorry to say but you did this by going the lazy route instead of hand washing the car and using stuff you know will not damage the wheels. Matte wheels are not hard to maintain if you are using proper products.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:35 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

You should never use anything other than soap (made for cars) and water for wheels. There is no need for chemicals to clean your wheels.

...and never take anything you love through a car wash! LOL
Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 AM
SchneidyP4.6
2nd Gear Member

You should never use anything other than soap (made for cars) and water for wheels. (x2)

Diluted Simple Green is safe too but soap/water is always the best. Sorry to hear about your wheels, Forgestars too! I saw a kid spray some polished HRE's on a Maserati Coupe with a very strong non-diluted degreaser. He let it sit, rinsed the wheels and they were white. The owner came back wondering what was taking so long to wash his car. The guy was crying, demanded the dealership buy new wheels and the kid was fired on the spot. Before he sprayed I told him not to use the degreaser...
Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IA Shelby
I used a wheel cleaner from a high end detailer. They looked like your disaster and kept getting worse. I then convinced myself it was just brake dust.

So while attending Shelbyfest I had my car detailed by a professional that came in from Chicago. He put this stuff called "more Shine" by Stoner on my wheels. He said whatever I was using was causing the problem. He used his stuff and my wheels look better than when they were new. They also stay clean after driving the car. You do need to apply in the garage with the door down.

A picture of my car to give you a sense. BTW my wheels looked worse than yours prior to using this stuff.

I'm going to look into this "more shine" solution. Thank you so much. From the idiot who took his car through the "swirl-o-matic"
Old 05-30-2012, 04:18 AM
YerBuddy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yankeehick5.0
I'm going to look into this "more shine" solution. Thank you so much. From the idiot who took his car through the "swirl-o-matic"
lol...don't feel bad. Everyone of us has done something we regret at some point in our lives. Well, everyone but me.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 AM
bones302
2nd Gear Member

you can also use VHT frame paint to repaint your wheels: http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/rollbarchassis/

I've used it on a bunch of things for my motorcycles and it works well. you could also powdercoat them.

Quick Reply: Car Wash #$%*!# up My Forgestar Wheels!