Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Gravel on road...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

Default Gravel on road...

I was driving home from work today and ran over a strip of asphalt/gravel that was dug across the road covering up some construction work, and just drove the speed limit (40 mph, was going maybe 45) over it, and immediately I heard gravel noise that sounded like it was raining gravel on the car. The area looked solid, it didn't look gravely or anything. Just a black strip maybe 2 feet wide across the road.

I surveyed the damage and there's small chips, like punctures, in the paint behind the front wheels and on the rocker panels (the plastic painted part underneath the doors? I think they're called rocker panels?). a couple chips made it a bit up the doors, but maybe only a few. The car is sterling grey, and it isn't noticable from afar. Looking at it at an angle, behind or in front of the area, you can tell there are punctures in the paint behind the wheels.

I wiped the area with a wet towel and dried it, and used ultimate compound and cleaner wax, and it definitely looks a bit better than it did, but the puncture/ small chips are still there. Some areas rub off with my finger. I washed/waxed the car two days in a row last week (Tuesday and Wednesday) and I feel like if I didn't do that, this could have been a lot worse.

I made a claim with Allstate right after I tried the compound and wax. I was extremely worried/frustrated about it. I then showed my dad and he said that I definitely shouldn't take it in/risk a repaint for that little of damage. He was a stickler about his 1998 Camaro Z28 and worried about it/took special precautions when washing it and waxing it and driving it, so if he doesn't think it should be taken in and repainted, then I'm thinking on passing on going through with the claim. The thing that bothers me about this is that the construction area should have been better taken care of and not left a gravely mess. It really hacked me off. I was livid. My brand new car gravelled. Luckily the rear wheels have the splash guards to preserve the rear bumper.

So here is my question. If there were small chips/punctures/noticable gravel rash behind your front wheels and on your painted side skirts (or rocker panels, whatever) from a construction site, that is covered under warranty, would you go ahead and follow through with getting a repaint and not having the car for a couple days? Even though it might not match correctly? And that it's guaranteed to get more gravel rash from just driving regularly?

Please respond with your reaction/what you would do in this situation...
Old 07-30-2012, 06:31 PM
TommyB681
2nd Gear Member

if you can get it fixed for cheap then right on. but honestly i wouldnt go through all the trouble to get something like that fixed. would you rather have some little blemishes or a miscolored paint job? plus you could have it fixed and it happen all over again. i also havent seen pictures and if its worse then it sounds and you want it fixed then fix it. but weigh the costs
Old 07-30-2012, 08:02 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Short answer: no.

It sucks and bums you out, but usually in less than a week it's not a big deal any more.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:26 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Any reputable place you take it in they can color match it and can get it spot on and it wont be a problem. It depends how bad it is.. I could give my yes/no if you had any pics
Old 08-02-2012, 10:41 PM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

you can go to the state highway or city street dept.They have claim forms you can fill out.Maybe you should get some pics of the area if it still looks the same and should of gotten pics before trying to buff them out.