Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

How the hell do I keep a black car clean

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:14 AM
BlackSixer

Skimmed through the posts, didnt see this mentioned(may of just missed it) but a California duster is a MUST. haha That combined with good wax, microfiber towels and some luck should keep your car lookin' good!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Tommyc
1st Gear Member

Turtle Wax Black Box kit !!!
Awesome stuff
Old 10-06-2012, 03:28 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Finally applied the turtle wax box. IMpressive I must say. Took about four hours from cleaning car to applying all the turtle wax. Wife's vehicle next. That will tell me how good it really is since her car is 5 years old with 65K miles.

Name:  IMG_1561.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  136.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1562.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  141.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1563.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  161.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1564.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  127.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1565.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1566.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  137.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1567.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  165.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1570.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  132.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1571.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  180.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1572.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  191.6 KB
Old 10-06-2012, 04:45 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Lookin good!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 AM
289ci
1st Gear Member

i have always had black cars and you just have to work harder to keep them clean, but they look great when you do!

PS keep them out if the rain
Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 AM
289ci
1st Gear Member

99gtstang, you car looks good....
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Mojo GT

Here's what I got today

Name:  010-3.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  208.5 KB

Name:  002-2.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  129.4 KB
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Topp64

A quick way to remove light dust is by doing a rinseless wash with Optimum No Rinse. Works good for washing in cold weather too.
ONR and this DIY filtration system, help keep my OCD in check.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:47 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Mojo got some good stuff. I'll be the first to say owning a Porter Cable or other similar buffer is a must for black car owners. You can truly remove all the swirls and most imperfections and then maintaining is much easier!

This stuff is the ****.. I just can't get enough of it. You have to leave it on overnight though, or you won't get the full effect. It's unbelievable when you wipe it off the next day. It only takes 15 minutes to apply with the Porter Cable.

Then, washing the car is much easier. You can sheet most of the water right off to dry and get the rest of it with the Absorber (original, not XL version). Some people claim the absorber causes swirls, but they are 100% full of **** or are mis-using it.

The only mistake I made was not getting a clear bra when the car was new. My paint is 70k miles old and looks better than most of the brand new cars on the lot..... until the sun shines on the front end. Rock/bug chips and road salt (from snow) has really made it look horrible in my eyes.

Get a clear bra if you're planning on keeping the car for a while.

Also the California Car Duster definitely causes swirls.. I've done tests and watched it happen with my own eyes.

Also only wash with MICROFIBER wash pads. Never ever ever use any thing wool or of that nature. Like this... never use this:

Sure, they hold a ton of suds, but they will put light swirls all over your entire car... on contact.

Instead, use this type:

I could go on and on and on...
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

well I saw alot of bad advice in this thread. Like the turtle wax JUNK..Sorry but throw that crap out..you may think it was nice but its messy and all it does is add a filler and will wash away next time it gets wet and look the same. California blade is just a scratch generator. you get any dust or particle stuck under that blade and drag it along EEEK. the california duster is also not black friendly as it will scratch the paint especially during pollen season.
If you want the car to look good and stay looking good then you need to invest in quality stuff. 1 throw away the california duster and get a lambs wool duster. they are much softer and will pull the dust further away from the paint. they actually sell nice ones at bed bath and beyond for $10 same thing as the Zymol one for $40

clean majority of dust off car once out of driveway
For your driveway you are going to want a good QD/Waterless style wash. Ultima waterless wash concentrate is just about the best out there
http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/vi...idcategory=288
this concentrate will make around 5gallons of quick detailer use 3oz per gallon of distilled water. trust me there is no better out there. I have used just about all of them. This will clean the rest of the car and DOES not streak after you get out of your driveway and dusting it off. use a QUALITY MF towel.
you need a good wash. Something like the ultima wash or Duragloss or Chemical guys
http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/vi...idcategory=288
http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/vi...idcategory=203
http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/vi...idcategory=220
http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/vi...idcategory=220

this is just to keep it clean.
Now wax/sealant. I have owned sooo many in my time
Wolfgang Fuzion, BlackFire Midnight sun, BlackFire Wet Diamond, BlackFire CrystalSeal, Pinnacle Souveran, Collinite 845, Dodojuice Rainforest Rub, Dodojuice Blue Velvet, Zymol Glasur
The stuff is pricey BUT Zymol Glasur is the BEST I have ever used. it sheets water like nothing else. It has dust repelling ability. My car after a 5min drive with ANY of the other waxes or sealants the rear would be covered by dust. With Zymol Glasur i can drive 20min and would say its 80% less dust on the car and dirt doesnt stick to it. even in rain the car will stay looking clean. You wont have any dirt buildup.
Amazon Amazon

Last but EXTREMELY inmportant. the quality of the MF towel makes the difference. they are not all the same and ones you buy at walmart will scratch the paint.
I use only dedicated towels JUST for my paint and these are what i use
http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/vi...&idcategory=16
http://www.autogeek.net/super-soft-m...er-towels.html
wash them properly to. With something like Tide Free and clear or ALL free and clear. and wash on hot and dry on low..NEVER use fabric softener.

I can go on and on. especially if you want to get to show car condition and start buffing the paint and getting into that. Just careful with alot of the bad advice out there.

here was the condition of my Black mustang

Name:  JOND6550.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  152.7 KB
Name:  JOND6551.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  80.0 KB

notice perfect paint..no swirls in sun shots just flawless paint. this kinda condition takes many hours buffing out the paint to perfection

Quick Reply: How the hell do I keep a black car clean