Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Body Shop Job Gone Wrong........

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 08:21 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

Default Body Shop Job Gone Wrong........

I have a Sterling Gray 2013 Mustang GT. So someone backed their car into my front fender/bumper area and I went to Lindsay Ford in Silver Spring, MD. They ordered OEM parts (fender/bumper/headlight housing) and fit them very well on the car, but really screwed up their paint job. The paint that is blended into the hood is lighter than the OEM paint and doesn't have the same amount of metallic flake as the OEM paint, and you can easily tell where the paint has been blended. Plain as day. That is the first thing that is wrong.

The second is OVERSPRAY! ALL OVER THE CAR! How in the hell could this happen?? The paint is scratchy/rough/sandpapery, it's on my windows... all of them. It's on my wheels too, my freaking BREMBO wheels! Not just on the spokes, but inside of the rim too! I clean the entire wheel when I wash my car and I can hear the noise of scratchyness when I use my brush on the inside of the wheels...

Third.... So, when they called me to tell me my car was ready, I told them I had to pick it up the next day. I got to the place right when they opened, and as I parked the rental car, I saw the front of my car behind the shop so I decided to peek at it. With not even a hard-look at the thing, I noticed bubbles/pimples in the paint on the fender, bumper, door and hood... So I went in the place and got the manager and the Geico adjuster (the guy has Geico and they paid/are paying for the repairs)who's office is there and showed them, and they said a wet sand and buff would get them out. So I said ok and they called me around 530 and said it was looking "glossy" and went to pick it up. I looked at it pretty hard and didn't notice the really bad pimples I saw in the morning and thought it was ok, but told the guy, Jay, who I was in contact with and was in charge of the work done to my car, that I will really be able to tell if all is well after I was it.... So I wash it, try to wax it (notice the over spray) and notice crazy swirl marks all over where they buffed and wet sanded.......

I've been in contact with the adjuster and told them how I'm nervous to bring it back, there's overspray all over the car and wheels and windows, they show carelessness and ineptitude with the work done, the proper prep work wasn't done, I am afraid the value of my car has been shot, the thing is frickin brand new, etc... and he says to bring it back to Lindsay and they will be able to fix it..... However, my insurance agent says he has restored 10 corvettes and he is shocked at how bad it came out as I describe, that they have done shotty work and he wouldn't go back there.... I have no idea where to even bring it.... I feel like I need to dump the car because the thing is just, in my mind, ruined because of the job they've done.

The wheels most likely need to be re-done somehow, just like they were done from the factory... I have no idea about the paint on the hood and everywhere else.... maybe OEM/factory paint? no idea...

Help me out here guys, I need the guru's here.... How should I handle this situation? As of right now, I don't have an appointment to bring it back for them to fix it, but it's implied that I will be going back to them to see if they can fix it. Truly, I don't want to go back, but I feel like they need one last chance (3rd chance) to really fix it.

Help... please...
Old 09-25-2012, 08:43 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Man that really blows. I don't know if I would let them touch the car again. I think it is already time to get someone from Ford at the factory level. There is no excuse for the quality of work that you have gotten. You can most likely get rid of some of the overspray with a clay bar but it shouldn't be your responsibility.

I am not a fan of legal action but I wouldn't hesitate to get an attorney involved in this case.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

your insurance company is going to push you to return to the same shop, as they can get it 'corrected' without costing the insurance company more money.

.. this also means that a shop is going to bitterly spend even more time on your car trying to rush/fix things so they are not losing more labor/costs on a car they already considered complete.

I'd be terribly concerned about the quality of work in this scenario, too. I would push my insurance company really hard to let a professional shop handle the repairs. I would ask to be the one to select the shop and I'd make damn sure I trust the shop.

sorry - not sure if you'll be able to do this, but it's what I would try for.. : (
Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

If it's that obvious, then it'll be clear that it's not right. Get everyone together, point out all the things you listed above to the insurance agent and body shop manager and find out what they plan to do to fix it.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:45 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

That sucks ... From what I have seen and heard you should never use the Dealer Body Shop ....
Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 PM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

I haven't heard that and I wish I did. I plan on pointing everything out to them. The Geico adjuster made it seem like they are going to do whatever it takes to make me happy when I talked to him a couple days ago. I took my car by, as I found out today, just my luck, a reliable body shop near my house, and they saw the blend job on the hood and felt the over spray. They were shocked at how much overspray is actually on the car, and that it was on (and inside) the wheels. They said a clay bar should be able to take it off....which I hope can happen.

I really believe the hood needs to be painted as a whole new job. Blending a hood, I've heard, is a complete no-no. It is obvious under certain light. It disgusts me. The body shop I showed my car to thought the same thing...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM
DRB
1st Gear Member

I live about five miles from Lindsay Ford - almost bought my Mustang from them in May, but wound up going to Apple Ford instead (bigger selection at that time, is all).

Anyway, a week after I bought the car I was rear-ended on the Capital Beltway...and the insurance shop did an inadequate job on the painting in a very similar manner to what you describe (the paint on the bumper was slightly lighter, less metallic, and there was some overspray on the quarter panel).

Anyway, I wound up taking the car to an independent body shop in Silver Spring to get it redone and they did a first-rate job.

Last edited by DRB; 09-26-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:42 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

"Yes" the clay bar will remove over spray but its not going to fix the paint. If the colors don't match it will have to be repainted. 3M Ultrafinea polish and a good buffer can remove any swirl marks and light scratches and leave you with a deep gloss.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:20 AM
evanjp
1st Gear Member

DRB, did you get yours fixed at Lindsay Ford?

I'm pushing for a repaint on all areas that were painted. The people at Kenwood Auto Body, this independent shop I brought my car to after work yesterday, which has a great reputation around here, said they most likely used oil-based paint instead of water-based paint.

What independent shop did you bring yours too?

I believe the entire hood needs to be repainted with the correct paint. There's no way they are going to blend it again. I almost don't even want to bring it back there because how the car came out with overspray, not-matching paint, wrong paint, and the blended hood.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I would REALLY press your insurance company to have you take it to another shop.
Ask for the dang manager if you have to.

Tell them how horrible it was and let them know you WILL NOT be renewing your insurance with them if they do not allow you to take it to a different shop.
That may change their attitude.

Quick Reply: Body Shop Job Gone Wrong........