Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

stick or auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:03 PM
m0nkeydump
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
they offer 3 on the v8, 2.73, 3.31, and 3.73

v6 gets 2.73 and 3.31
V8 gets 3.31 (stock), 3.55, and 3.73
Old 09-16-2010, 03:45 PM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

their is only two options on the v6. However why would that stop anyone.
Ford racing makes lots of gears. I am soon going to install 3.73 on my v6.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Musclejunkie

Originally Posted by stang11v6
their is only two options on the v6. However why would that stop anyone.
Ford racing makes lots of gears. I am soon going to install 3.73 on my v6.
Now THAT is a formidable combination!

I think Ford's reason is simple. They don't want to detract people from the V8, so they offer a few more options than the V6 model. Aint gonna change.
I'm just thrilled with the thought of getting the V6. I can add a few more horses with aftermarket exhaust and washable filter cold air induction. Of course I'll wait till LONG AFTER the warranty expires.

Talked to a test driver for Ford, who stopped by a McDonalds for lunch. He was checking out the V6 with stick and said he loved the car. The tv commercials are killing me. I hope Ford doesn''t let me down with this American Icon purchase. The dealer just placed the order, yesterday and called me today to say they already pulled it from the bin.....whatever that means. Hopefully a faster delivery than normal. My uncle Bob was a delivery and shipping exec. for Ford for years. Maybe somehow the name rang a bell with someone and they pushed it ahead.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:29 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

In the end, it's your decision and what your heart tells you. Manual has the fun factor while automatic has the convenience of daily driving and it still has a kick to it. Don't discount automatics though. A finely tuned auto will not have the slushbox feeling. Then there are times where my auto is so touchy, I prefer to drive it manual for more control. I do have 4.10 gear so it does make a little difference. Being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and you throttle and it upshifts then wants to downshift, then upshift and becomes a jerky ride but on the other hand you don't have to mess with a clutch. It goes both ways for me, sometimes I do miss having the fun factor but then there are days I get in my stang and it's a car to just get from point A to B. I don't regret having an auto.

Don't let people give you crap about having an auto. People have won drag championships in automatics.

Last edited by alkemist; 09-16-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:35 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Musclejunkie
Now THAT is a formidable combination!

I think Ford's reason is simple. They don't want to detract people from the V8, so they offer a few more options than the V6 model. Aint gonna change.
I'm just thrilled with the thought of getting the V6. I can add a few more horses with aftermarket exhaust and washable filter cold air induction. Of course I'll wait till LONG AFTER the warranty expires.

Talked to a test driver for Ford, who stopped by a McDonalds for lunch. He was checking out the V6 with stick and said he loved the car. The tv commercials are killing me. I hope Ford doesn''t let me down with this American Icon purchase. The dealer just placed the order, yesterday and called me today to say they already pulled it from the bin.....whatever that means. Hopefully a faster delivery than normal. My uncle Bob was a delivery and shipping exec. for Ford for years. Maybe somehow the name rang a bell with someone and they pushed it ahead.
unless u have a super **** dealership u should worry about ur warranty and CAI
the burden of proof for warranty work is on the dealership, so they have to prove that ur CAI caused the problem. that being said, theres not much a CAI can do to screw up ur car lol
Old 09-17-2010, 08:49 AM
Musclejunkie

I've had both autos and manuals but like the manuals a little better for driver feel. Also, sounds cooler shifting through the gears or just letting out the clutch from a dead stop. Granted, it's a royal PITA in rush hour traffic.

Also, a good deterent from people wanting to drive your car.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:30 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

What do 3.73s do for performance, top end, and MPGs? I've seen 3.73 Ford Racing gears for under $200.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:11 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
What do 3.73s do for performance, top end, and MPGs? I've seen 3.73 Ford Racing gears for under $200.
What gears do you have now? If you have 3.55 most go for 4.10 for the biggest difference. If you have 3.31 then some go to 3.73 but 4.10 is still popular. IMO top speed, I'll never get there street driving, so it doesn't matter to me, even if I go to the track, I'm not modded enough to reach top end. You loose a little MPG but it's nothing to worry about, it's minimal. If you do lots of highway driving, 4.10 run higher RPM than 3.73. You do get faster torque delivery the higher ratio you go up and I love my 4.10's.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Musclejunkie

Ya, wondered why thy only offered 3.31's in the six. Like I said, Ford wants to suck you into buying the 8. Not sure if the 3.31's will be much better than the 2.73's... we'll see. I had 4 or 5 somethings in my '76 Z28 with 350 engine and close ratio manual transmission. That car was a lead sled. Even tricked out it was slow.

My all time favorite transmission is the rock crusher in the early 70's SS 454 Chevelle. That was truly one badass car! Wonder if you can still get those transmissions.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:42 AM
pv74

Buy with confidence. I have an '03 F-150 that has seen some very rough use and I have never had an issue with it. Tires/brakes/oil changes and a new battery. Had an '05 Focus...never a problem.

I got the automatic because of my wife. It's just as fast as the manual version that I drove. Fit and finish is excellent...I don't think you'll have any problems with it.

Quick Reply: stick or auto