Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

stick or auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Musclejunkie

Default stick or auto

My first post here so please be gentle...

I'm ordering my first brand new american made car since my '93 Vette. That car sent me directly to the imports from 93 to the current year, with numerous problems including a blown transmission at delivery, leaking oil gaskets and horridly slow performance.

I recently test drove 6 new '11 Mustangs V6 and V8 and each one was AMAZING. Quality, fit and finish, muscle, handling, it's all there! Ordering mine tomarrow which will be a V6 premium pkg., grabber blue.

Auto or stick? I drove the 6-speed manual with stock rear end and it shifted like a dream. I was sick to see it made in China however, so I tried a US made automatic. Another great tranny, but NO paddle shifter? On a Mustang? WT? Guess the engineers wanted mileage not performance so the shifting is computer controled.

I've always had sticks in my Jap cars and never had an ounce of problem. Now I'm reading posts about vibration issues on the '11 manuals? Granted I'm not interested in driving the car like a drag strip funny car, but I don't want any more tranny issues like I had with the 6-speed manual Vette I had.

Any good advice?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:37 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I try not to think about it being made in china, but try to think if it is made there, it's from a cost aspect, but hoped was test driven in their rotten conditions there thus ends up being a solid tranny, so say I put 100,000 on the car, never need tranny work, but I burn a clutch up in 75,000 I'll be happy, so I say if you get a 6speed shifter as I did, drive it hard if breaks under warranty?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:40 PM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

glad to see you join the mustang group. we are all proud of our cars.
obviously the choice is yours and yours alone. but i will tell u what drove me to choose an auto. this is my third mustang in my life. first was a 68 with a 390ci. with auto. loved it. next was a 2006 with a stick. loved it. now i have a 11 with an auto. i chose the auto cause i just dont feel like having to shift. i enjoy holding my wifes hand while i drive about. it is still a blast to have and drive. however the one change i will eventually probably do is to have the 2.73 gears replaced with 3.73. probably a tune when they come out, underdrive pulley and maybe a steeda cai when those come out. i have already put magnaflow's on and love them. i am a kid at 56.

enjoy the car
Old 09-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

This question always ends up in a battle of the autos vs the manuals.

Choose what works best for you. Just remember: You DRIVE a manual. You RIDE an auto.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:47 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

and we are both kids at 56 lol
Old 09-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Chrispy294ss

51 year old kid here....

I choose V6 manual because ........

My last was a Mazda 3 and with auto.

I am buying the mustang to replace the mazda and it will see rush hour traffic... humm auto?

I still own a rock cruncher 4 speed muncie '67 vet vert.

When I test drove this mustang I couldn't see anything other than the manual in my future. Running through the gears reminds me of the vet. Really, even the V6.
Damn the rush hour... manual it will be.

We were considering an EOS with the DSG auto tranny......
but like my wife said... The EOS is a sedan that has a convertible top.....
The Mustang is a convertible sports car!

Even if the Mustang had a modern DSG auto tranny I would still want to run through the gears because it is a SPORTS CAR.

My brother vet driver.... can you see anything other than running through the gears yourself?

PS go look at the EPCO shifter ***** and imagine the one of your choice on the shifter.... or the auto T shifter in your hands. Which one will turn your crank?

Regards,

Chris
Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

ive heard from my dad who drove the auto that he was not impressed with how slowly it shifts
just what ive heard lol
Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

yeah baby...........can't wait to mount this on the roush tall shiftr when comes out..
Old 09-12-2010, 11:02 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
ive heard from my dad who drove the auto that he was not impressed with how slowly it shifts
just what ive heard lol
The auto does shift slowly. There is a noticable lag as shifts occur. On my one-and-only trip down the 1/4 the other car pulled ahead hard on each shift.

The good thing is a tune eliminates this problem under hard throttle, very well, while allowing smooth but quicker shifts at partial throttle.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
plumbago

In todays auto world, Motor, weight, and rear end the same. There will not be more than .1 to .2 tenths second differance between the MT and the Auto Trans. It can go either way on any given day......so whatever catches yor fancy.....I chose the 3.7 Prem Vert, auto, Pony Pac, candy/Saddle and could not be happier,,,,,,best regards Plum

Quick Reply: stick or auto