Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Top End Speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 06:25 AM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gohogs
I just got on this forum a few days ago and noticed a few have had driveshaft problems. Is it a certain year or transmission (auto or manual) that are having problems? Feel like Ive pushed my luck but always have in my 50 years!
It seems to be any V6 car with the 3.7L engine. The biggest indicator of trouble is that the V6, GT, and Shelby cars all have different part numbers for the driveshaft IIRC.

Fortunately, this is a "fixable" problem. Whenever I get around to swapping mine, I hope to add some chassis stiffeners and a driveshaft loop too.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

It is a dual piece drive shaft, more meant for fuel economy than spirited driving. When you bypass the speed limiter you're on your own. I am sure ford has done rigorous testing on these Driveshafts and set the speed limiters accordingly.

You take a car meant for 118 mph top speed, and bypass the system and take it 30mph over the safe zone you should expect problems.

While we all know the Mustang is a fun car, fords legal team has specific processes in place to protect the company, speed limiters are one of those protection, you bypass it, they're off the hook.

If you're hell bent on doing 150-160, replace the drive shaft with something meant to take the abuse.

Some of these guys who have blown up their drive shafts have been lucky, the RPM and speeds those drive shafts blow apart can send shrapnel into the body and floor. So it is modify at your own risk.