Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.7 worth trading a 4.0 in for???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:08 PM
mcstang12
1st Gear Member

ok thanks guys for the input. sounds like i just need to take one out for a drive, but my dealership doesnt have one! maybe they will in the summer.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 AM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

My .02c from having owned two different 2010 4.0s& a 06 4.0 is its worth it only if you want a better overall vehicle. The 2011 has better brakes, factory hi flowing dual exhaust, better factory intake setup, better aero*only marginal but still* better rear end a factory 8.8 w/trac loc dif, marginally better transmission. The list goes on also stock-stock the perf difference is huge if your comparing 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. Example my buddy who now owns a 11 5.0 ran a 14.9 in his intake/exhaust/tuned for 93 4.0. I have run a best of 13.7@102+mph in my 3.7 6mt 2.73 gears only mods perf wise are jlt cai&pypes m80s mid mounted running 93 octane in it still untunned!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:59 PM
mcstang12
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3.73-11
My .02c from having owned two different 2010 4.0s& a 06 4.0 is its worth it only if you want a better overall vehicle. The 2011 has better brakes, factory hi flowing dual exhaust, better factory intake setup, better aero*only marginal but still* better rear end a factory 8.8 w/trac loc dif, marginally better transmission. The list goes on also stock-stock the perf difference is huge if your comparing 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. Example my buddy who now owns a 11 5.0 ran a 14.9 in his intake/exhaust/tuned for 93 4.0. I have run a best of 13.7@102+mph in my 3.7 6mt 2.73 gears only mods perf wise are jlt cai&pypes m80s mid mounted running 93 octane in it still untunned!
this is the guy i need to talk to lol. were any of the 4.0's that have intake/exhaust/tuned? how did that compare with the 3.7? i have a c&l intake and ford racing exhaust with a Bama 87 performance tune, how would a stock 3.7 compare to that?

i know i need to take one out for a test drive but my local dealer still doesnt have one!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:19 PM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

Yeah my 06 4.0 had 3.31 gears 5mt intake/tune/exhaust combo put down 206whp&242wtq with 20s on a mustang dyno. And that thing feels like a pig compared to a stock 3.7.
Here's a link if you wanna check out my 06 and if you click on my garage you can see all my rides
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3103766/2006-ford-mustang
Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

I realize the power difference is going to feel immense but I just can't get with that rear. It could be the most powerful car on the planet, but if I can't look at it and love it from every angle I won't spend my money on it.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I guess this is where styling tastes differ. While I like the 05-09s, I think they are kind of plain jane looking especially for a sports car. I really like the more aggressive look of the 10+ front end, and the sides kind of flare up as they go back emphasizing the rear end which has some shape that curves around instead of a block they just kind of chopped.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
I guess this is where styling tastes differ. While I like the 05-09s, I think they are kind of plain jane looking especially for a sports car. I really like the more aggressive look of the 10+ front end, and the sides kind of flare up as they go back emphasizing the rear end which has some shape that curves around instead of a block they just kind of chopped.
I'm with hogasswild on this one. I've always been acutely aware of the looks of a car (any car). Stance, rake, wheel position, etc. Like many, I loved the previous generation, and thought the rear on the new was visually a mistake. But when you look at the refinement of the styling, looking at how the wheel wells blend up to through the quarter panels, and then the improvement swooping toward the front (by far the biggest improvement), the previous generation looks boxy and antiquated. Sure, I still have a few suggestions for Ford, but they haven't called me yet.

As for the original poster of this thread, he's in that dubious category of "Oh, you got the new mustang... I heard about the new 5.0 and the new 3.7 v6. Which one is yours?" Followed by them having to explain that its neither one. Thats a heck of position to be in, because you had the visual improvement, but neither motor that turned everything around for the Mustang. Ultimately, I don't think any of us are going to have the good answers for ya buddy. Only you know how much it does or doesn't grate on you, and how much expendable income you have. Best advice I have, is make a decision one way or another, and don't look back.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

If you want to check out the engine from the new 3.7L and your dealers are out of them; you could always try the mazda dealers new 2011 mazda 6? I mean if you just want to check out the engine and are dying to get a taste I'm sure the 6 has the same duratec 37.

The gearing, suspension, etc. are probably VERY different, but hey, when I wanted my stang and couldn't find one I liked I test drove the toyota solara for a taste of the relative power mine would give out, and to see if I would be happy with it.

Good luck, and enjoy your choice whatever it may be!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:01 PM
mcstang12
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sketchy00
I'm with hogasswild on this one. I've always been acutely aware of the looks of a car (any car). Stance, rake, wheel position, etc. Like many, I loved the previous generation, and thought the rear on the new was visually a mistake. But when you look at the refinement of the styling, looking at how the wheel wells blend up to through the quarter panels, and then the improvement swooping toward the front (by far the biggest improvement), the previous generation looks boxy and antiquated. Sure, I still have a few suggestions for Ford, but they haven't called me yet.

As for the original poster of this thread, he's in that dubious category of "Oh, you got the new mustang... I heard about the new 5.0 and the new 3.7 v6. Which one is yours?" Followed by them having to explain that its neither one. Thats a heck of position to be in, because you had the visual improvement, but neither motor that turned everything around for the Mustang. Ultimately, I don't think any of us are going to have the good answers for ya buddy. Only you know how much it does or doesn't grate on you, and how much expendable income you have. Best advice I have, is make a decision one way or another, and don't look back.
yeah that "position" i have isnt ideal... but i get people asking if i have a V8 cause of the exhaust i have one it. i think it sounds great and get many compliments.
my dad is currently renting a 2011 v6 2.73at while he stays in florida and says my car feels stronger down low then the 3.7 but i have 3.31 gears. he did say however it does have great mileage. he said he was getting around 42 mpg.
we just got a lot of snow here in canada and i'll just have to sit back and wait till summer comes around then i'll take one out and decide.

and i like the look of the '10+ much better then the 05-09. looks way more aggressive. the back end just needs a blackout panel and rear valance
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 PM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

When you get your 2011/12*notice I said when not if* Be sure to swap over your rear valance that's a must have mod if you ask me. Also will you stay kona blue or change colors?

Quick Reply: 3.7 worth trading a 4.0 in for???