Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Bama 87 Performance Tune Loaded

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Default Bama 87 Performance Tune Loaded

I found this info on the All Ford Mustangs forum:

Originally Posted by CANEKiTA
There is a small bug on the update process for some users(a Windows OS issue), after updating the SCT Device Updater software to latest (2.9.7.2) some OS will need the drivers manually updated or the updater tool will not communicate with your flash device.
If your having this problem:

1. go to device manager
2. find\expand "Jungo"
3. right click on "X3PDEVICE"
4. Select "Update Driver Software"
5. Choose automatic
6. when done, re-start the SCT Device Updater software
7. connect your SCT flashing device via USB and they should now be able to communicate without any error messages.

To check if they can communicate 1st before updating your flasher, click the "display device settings & serial number" button. If it displays the correct info. your good to go. If it errors out follow the steps above.
This was the issue I had, Sean at SCT straightened me out as I hadn't seen this post until today. Thanks Sean!

I went ahead and loaded Bama's 87 street tune first, took it for a test drive, and indeed the low end pick up improved over the stock tune. The car seemed to drive similar to the stock tune in the mid - high rpm range.

I then re-loaded the stock tune, mainly to verify that I could. It loaded no problem and I verified the car would start, which it did.

I then loaded Bama's 87 performance tune, the car seemed much more lively in the mid - high range rpms. I'm going to keep this tune on the car until I go to the track, and load my 91 race tune.

The new SCT Device updater worked well uploading the 3 new tunes I received from Bama, and copying my stock tune to my computer for back up. No error codes or idiot lights were encountered once each of the tunes were loaded. The car idles smooth and all else seems normal. Seems most of the problems have been fixed.

Now I just need to drive it!

Thanks to SCT, Bama Tunes, and American Muscle!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:12 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Little note: Just from the description of the update steps I can tell this is specifically a Windows XP issue. Which in itself is nothing new.

Protip for windows 7 users. If you end up having issues installing a driver for a device you can do the following: Start>Search>Device Manager, find the device and uninstall the driver(check the delete driver from system box) if present. Then Start>Search>Windows Update and have windows check for updates. The nice part of win7 is it checks for 3rd party vendor drivers on windows update. Assuming it finds your driver and installs it. Then you can run the driver install software for the latest driver for your device an install it on top.

Back to topic. The more I read about it, the more the 87 street tune seems like the tune I will be using.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I strongly recommend the 93P tune. You will feel the power difference as well as improve MPGs.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the recommendation. Here in California 91 octane is the highest grade available. My car is my daily driver and I drive approximately 35 miles one way to work, so at present I'm going with 87 octane for economical reasons.

The price of 89 octane is about 10 cents more a gallon & is the reason I went with a 91 race tune, as 91 octane is only 4 or 5 cents more a gallon. I may try a 91 performance tune down the road, but first want to dive the 87 performance a bit more to get a better feel for it. A buddy of mine who took a drive with me yesterday mentioned he could definitely tell a difference between the 87 performance & the stock tune on the highway.

Last edited by Joenpb; 03-25-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:36 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

91P is probably almost identical to 93P. And if you're trying to be economical, 93 octane does get you better gas mileage for our car. You'll almost be able to make an additional 35 mile trip each tank.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:57 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
I strongly recommend the 93P tune. You will feel the power difference as well as improve MPGs.
I'm on the 87s right now, and when I fill up this weekend, will try both the 91s and the 91p tune. (I'm in the same boat as the other guy. 92 is about as high as you can get around here, so I have to go to 91). I'm anxious to feel the difference between octanes, and the difference between the 91p and the 91s.

On a side note, I'm trying to distinguish if the 87s hurts your mpgs by a tiny bit. Yeah, I've had some fun with it, but I've also nursed it too. And it seems like its a bit less mpgs. ...I wonder if "increased throttle response" is actually equivalent to a driver pressing down further on the gas when stock. That might be one explanation....
Old 03-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

91P is probably almost identical to 93P. And if you're trying to be economical, 93 octane does get you better gas mileage for our car. You'll almost be able to make an additional 35 mile trip each tank.
You convinced me to try the 91P tune, I just made the call to Bama for my order. You're right, might as well try it out to see for myself which I prefer. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:45 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Just to update you, I got 29.6mpg in mixed 70/30 highway driving using the 93P tune. The same kind of driving with using 93 octane usually gets me around 25-26mpg.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Just to update you, I got 29.6mpg in mixed 70/30 highway driving using the 93P tune. The same kind of driving with using 93 octane usually gets me around 25-26mpg.
Just to clarify Hogasswild, those figures are comparing MPGs between running 93 octane on your car with a 93P tune, versus stock?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Right, I am comparing 93 octane against a tune and CAI running 93 octane. I have been keeping pretty good records of what my fuel economy has been based on octane CAI and tunes. If you guys want to know I can post numbers.

Quick Reply: Bama 87 Performance Tune Loaded