Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Transmission problem in our mustangs...big issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6+6 Stang
nothing wrong with slippin/aka feathering a little to prevent the jerk, i can drive that thing sometimes where smoother than a auto, but that is for wife only, if your a friend or by myself, better have your HANS device lol
I'll take the feathering advice for when smoothness is required :P

Speaking of HANS required..

Reminds me of friday when I went for a drive with my buddy to showoff the new car. After a few hours of calm driving we come to a stop, ahaid of it is an empty, straight road with a lofty speed limit. Roll out smoothly(having never done a hard launch before on a stick, I try to be gentle) then gun it. Man this car is quick! Redline arrives, shift into second which causes the rear wheels to chirp loudly and the return to acceleration causes a pretty violent whiplash. Redline arrives, shift into 3rd, same amount of post-shift violence. I've been in many a car with hooligan drivers and this is the first car I know about that can chirp it's tires shifting into 3rd at speeds over 60mph...

I think i'm gonna love this car a long time even stock
Old 04-18-2011, 08:23 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I'm happy eith just my axlebacks and airaid CAI plenty power anymore going to be trouble but I can tell you. I'm waiting to see a few with it, but that procharger that gives you the extra 175 hp, that is itching at me.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

I'm happy eith just my axlebacks and airaid CAI plenty power anymore going to be trouble but I can tell you. I'm waiting to see a few with it, but that procharger that gives you the extra 175 hp, that is itching at me.
I'm seriously considering the AirRaid from your experience but likely without a tune. I know it isn't as good without the tune but I don't wanna go too far away from stock for now and don't wanna be spending all my money either. That and I like how it dresses up an otherwise boring engine bay.

As for Axlebacks, I have yet to hear one that I personally prefer over stock. Plus I like the quiet ride at 70mph(The average speed people drive on our highways).

But yes I will admit I also drooled everywhere when I saw the preliminary results of that procharger. it's a huge boost out of a basic supercharger kit, especially on a V6! Good bang for the buck but it's really expensive and the few people who have gotten their prochargers are rather quiet about it so not much to learn from their experience.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:37 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I/ just drove 370 miles 72 mph, got 29 to 30 mpg, well heck that was gauge...lets see 370 12.5 = 29.6 mpg, that was some stop and go, uphill down hill 60 degrees out, dry weather....although left town before tornados tore up raleigh , nc...went towards outterbanks so 29.6, driving 72 and cutting up a little. I'll take it. no drone, wife was able to watch a movie on my verizon thunderbolt phone no issue, love my borlas
Old 04-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

I/ just drove 370 miles 72 mph, got 29 to 30 mpg, well heck that was gauge...lets see 370 12.5 = 29.6 mpg, that was some stop and go, uphill down hill 60 degrees out, dry weather....although left town before tornados tore up raleigh , nc...went towards outterbanks so 29.6, driving 72 and cutting up a little. I'll take it. no drone, wife was able to watch a movie on my verizon thunderbolt phone no issue, love my borlas
Wow that's good milage. so far my trip computer hasn't gone any lower than 19mpg and i've done 60city/40hwy. I shift mostly at 2000rpm with occasional bouts to 3000 for highway merging. The shenanigans described earlier were very very few. Can't seem to get anything better than an average of 500km(roughly 300 miles) out of a full tank as per the computer T_T.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:35 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

And with a 3.31 no less! ...While I'm sure the 2.73 can do better in the most ideal of circumstances (flat as a pancake), and not too fast that wind resistance is going to really hit you, I'm almost tempted to say from observations of others that the 3.31 might do better if your terrain varies a bit, etc.

After having driven mine with a 2.73 for the past 3 months, I'm almost tempted to say that even for cruising the 2.73 might be a tad too tall. Because of the tall gearing, you almost have a tendancy to drive faster to compensate for not lugging the engine in sixth (which kind of defeats the purpose).

I might go for a gear swap to a 3.31 in the summer time. (no, I'm not interested in anything lower than that)
Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Yeah I'm happy with 3.31 I had 3.73 on '10 GT thought was taller than I wanted on highway. But upshift you would be surprised how gas mileage looks when you are running around 60, drop to 4th, cut up a little putting 5th, run up above 70, it actually gets worse MPGs when lugging, maybe you need to not drive in 6th so much, if running 60 that can stay in 5th, my GT loved when ran high rpms, the mpgs went down if was running 60 in 6th, if started racing it at higher rpm's the mpg's leveled out got better.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I'm happy with 3.31 I had 3.73 on '10 GT thought was taller than I wanted on highway. But upshift you would be surprised how gas mileage looks when you are running around 60, drop to 4th, cut up a little putting 5th, run up above 70, it actually gets worse MPGs when lugging, maybe you need to not drive in 6th so much, if running 60 that can stay in 5th, my GT loved when ran high rpms, the mpgs went down if was running 60 in 6th, if started racing it at higher rpm's the mpg's leveled out got better.
Hmm I'll have to try that out, I leave it in 6th gear on the highway when driving 60-70 because it's more quiet and the car doesn't struggle at all on the inclines on the highway I use at that gear, but on my way back I'll give it a shot. and try running one gear lower than I usually do, like 3rd at 30 instead of 4th(I like shifting her at 2krpm)
Old 04-19-2011, 11:08 AM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Upsh1ft
Hmm I'll have to try that out, I leave it in 6th gear on the highway when driving 60-70 because it's more quiet and the car doesn't struggle at all on the inclines on the highway I use at that gear, but on my way back I'll give it a shot. and try running one gear lower than I usually do, like 3rd at 30 instead of 4th(I like shifting her at 2krpm)
I think the point being more at the higher cruising speeds, not necessarily down lower, where air resistance is far less of a factor. Remember that wind speed is linear, but wind resistance is, for simplicity sake, exponential. It's why the old saying of "speed kills" still holds true, even if we had motors that had 800 ft pounds of Tq at 500 rpms. (gee, that would be kinda cool though).
Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

So how many drive-train TSB's are there on the '11 and '12's? I thought there was one for the clutch and a more recent serious one for the tranny.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem in our mustangs...big issue?