Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Default Royal Purple

Getting close to changing the oil and want to know if any of you have changed with Royal purple and if so what are your opinions on it?

Does the car run better with it? Or is there no noticeable difference?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

No noticeable difference. You could run RP at typical 10,000 mile extended oil change frequencies and I could run dino oil at the typical 3000 mile change frequencies and after 200,000-300,000 miles you couldn't tell the difference either.

RP, like most full syns, will buy you some better lubrication on initial cold startup but other than that, synthetics buy you extended oil changes. M1, Pennzoil and others are cheaper alternatives to RP and other boutique oils like Amsoil. What's as if not more important is a good oil filter. Amsoil and M1 oil filters are good for extended oil changes. The OE Motorcraft filter is good for 7500 and filters as well as the others.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I've heard Royal Purple looses viscosity quicker than other synths. I've been using M1 full synthetic
Old 07-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Unless the Mobil 1 you're using is extended performance, its a highly refined dino grade III base stock and not a true full synthetic. Not that it matters much, but most people when they think full synthetic think Mobil 1, and that's just not the case unless its EP.

Full synthetics do provide better lubrication on start up, and that is when most engine wear occurs. I'm currently running Pennzoil Ultra which also uses grade III dino base stock (even though it says full synthetic). My next oil change I'm going to try Redline.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=1&pcid=21
Old 07-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joenpb
Unless the Mobil 1 you're using is extended performance
I believe it is
Old 09-13-2011, 05:11 PM
SpitRage

Default My experience w/ RP...

Originally Posted by Bokeo
Getting close to changing the oil and want to know if any of you have changed with Royal purple and if so what are your opinions on it?

Does the car run better with it? Or is there no noticeable difference?

Thanks
I have changed twice w/ RP @ around 10k miles both times, it feels about the same to me. RP claims that you have to go through a few of their oil changes to see real results(from UOA's and MPG increases). I have noticed slightly better gas mileage, but I think that has more to do with the changing of the seasons(engine starts warmer, air density differences etc). Here is a link to my MGP results, if you go back far enough you will see that my first RP change was in late April and my second was in early August. To really get a better MPG comparison I will have to wait until I have results from the same season next year. I am pretty pleased with the stuff thus far, if I do switch to anything else it will be another category IV.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/spitrage/mustang/

Hope thats of some use.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

So ya'll are really dragging the oil changes out to 10k?!?! I know thats what the book calls for, but theres just no way I could ever go that long, personally. I did my first change the other day @ 5600 miles, and I can't believe I went that long. Not judging anyone elses decisions, just saying

OP, Ive always heard great things about RP, but never could justify forking out the extra $. Im trying out M1 for the first time, so far so good I always used Castrol synthetic in my Dodges, and always used Penzoil when running conventional oil in anything. If you decide to go with it, keep us posted on any improvements you see!
Old 09-15-2011, 02:51 AM
Fintile12

I have a question (not to hijack the thread or anything), but has anyone ever switched the tranny oil for RP or similar? This is my first RWD that I've moded. I've done it in FWD cars before and felt MAJOR improvments in the cars Accel, and shifting. I've heard of it being done in trucks as well. Any thoughts?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:07 PM
SpitRage

Originally Posted by 97tplsGT
So ya'll are really dragging the oil changes out to 10k?!?! I know thats what the book calls for, but theres just no way I could ever go that long, personally. I did my first change the other day @ 5600 miles, and I can't believe I went that long. Not judging anyone elses decisions, just saying

OP, Ive always heard great things about RP, but never could justify forking out the extra $. Im trying out M1 for the first time, so far so good I always used Castrol synthetic in my Dodges, and always used Penzoil when running conventional oil in anything. If you decide to go with it, keep us posted on any improvements you see!
I'm changing at just under 10k or whenever the car tells me my oil life is up(the lesser of the two), both changes I have still had more oil life left. I have seen plenty of RP UOAs that indicate the stuff is able to be driven hard > 11k miles, and since I drive very modestly(long trips at low rpm) I don't feel the need. The last oil change the oil was not really even that dirty. I've also seen Mobil 1 UOA's that indicate it is fine above 10k too(the EXTENDED PERFORMANCE anyway, the other stuff isn't actually a group IV synthetic). If I were to drive at higher RPMs or had more cold starts I would change more often.