Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ambient lighting question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 PM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Default Ambient lighting question!

Is it possible to install the ambient lighting system in a base v6? I know you can get the door sills with a white light but what about the rest like the cup holders, doors, floor area? Im looking to pick up a base model v6 and sadly it seems that all of this nice interior stuff such as leather seats, comfort package, chrome accents are all only available on the premium model Looking at all of the premium models they are like 5k more.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:34 PM
GTI-Guy
2nd Gear Member

I don't have a hard answer for you, but good topic to explore.

I think someone with some electrical know how could easily provide a path to plug and play some LEDs for the front area beneath the dash.

Also, maybe we could expand this topic to include how to liven up the base interior overall as well. For me, I absolutely prefer cloth seats over leather for the grip & they don't get hot like leather, but I do like the premium's steering wheel and lighting, but not the extra convenience gizmo's.

I plan to do a wheelskin sew-up leather wheel cover ... others are replacing the steering wheel entirely ... and I decided to violated my no frills policy by indulging in the lighted sill plates ... they were just too cool to me to resist.

So if anyone has other ideas, or knows how to add a little more interior lighting, holler in.

Last edited by GTI-Guy; 08-06-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:13 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

I've actually been thinking about just buying the LED's and doing it myself.

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux
these come in plastic housing, wired with resistors and everything. All set up and ready for a 12v connection.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:54 PM
GTI-Guy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
I've actually been thinking about just buying the LED's and doing it myself.

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux
these come in plastic housing, wired with resistors and everything. All set up and ready for a 12v connection.
Nice product. A lot of folks will walk in your footsteps if you want blaze the trail on this ... where and how to mount & wire. (That's my fancy way of saying "when it comes to electrical / wiring work, I'm purely "monkey-see, monkey-do.")

Last edited by GTI-Guy; 08-06-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:00 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Looks like I'll have to buy some and do a write-up then!
Old 08-07-2011, 02:11 PM
calimstng66
1st Gear Member

I have been in and out of dealerships the past few days and to me the base model is way to go unless your hard up on some leather seats. The ambient lighting is kinda cool so talked to the salesguy about it. He said it is a package and something can get installed on a base. Just know would cost you all that dealer markup. In fact anything you can do to premium or above you can do to you base model
Old 08-07-2011, 02:16 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

I have read another thread, and from what I saw, ambient lighting can be quite pricey. (300+).
Old 08-07-2011, 03:14 PM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

Im not crazy about all of the interior gizmos but would like some things, just not willing to pay a lot more for a performance package. I specifically want a base model because I know I'll be tearing it apart sooner or later.

Id like to see how it is wired in to the performance model- im sure its not that difficult.

It looks like the chrome accents are available everywhere, sound systems can be upgraded.

But where do you get the steering wheel from? I was hoping to run into a nice piece of salvage somwhere but I guess its to early for that
Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 PM
winner99
3rd Gear Member

I found the kit here for $300 however it does not mention if it also includes the map pocket and door handle led's- http://northamericantuning.com/catal...oducts_id/1035

They also have the steering wheels for $500 :/
Old 08-07-2011, 09:00 PM
GTI-Guy
2nd Gear Member

Good info

Quick Reply: Ambient lighting question!