Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 3.7L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012,Ford,Mustang Base
Default Exhaust Weights?

Is there a thread on the exhaust weights? My search came up dry.
Someone must have removed them and commented on them by now?
I know my car has at least four of them on there, I was wondering if there was a problem with vibration or something if you took them off?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
WORKISSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Premium V6 Kona Blue

Well I removed the weights and replaced them with Borla ATAK axle backs. I was amazed at the weight difference between the factory and Borla exhaust. I know that isn't exactly what you were talking about but the factory exhaust is just heavy even without the weights on it.

'12 V6 Premium • Kona Blue • Charcoal Leather
Super Six ported heads & upper/lower intakes • Lund tune • Airaid CAI • BBK TB • BBK LT headers & O/R X-pipe • Borla ATAK • DSS aluminum DS • 3.73 gears
Forgestar F14's 19x9/19x10 • Eibach Sportlines • Koni STR.T • Steeda billet LCAs • SR chrome STB • GT front brakes
TruFiber A42 hood • GT bumper • Boss fascia • Roush grille & side splitters • GT500 spoiler & rear diffuser • CDC decklid
Unclenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang V6 Premium 6MT

On AFM wrxified started maintaining a spreadsheet of OEM and aftermarket weights. I know the stock mufflers and tips weigh 46lbs. My Pypes mufflers and resonated tips weighed 18lbs.

Last edited by hogasswild; 03-17-2012 at 09:48 AM.
hogasswild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasswild View Post
On AFM wrxified started maintaining a spreadsheet of OEM and aftermarket weights. I know the stock mufflers and tips weigh 46lbs. My Pypes mufflers and resonated tips weighed 18lbs.
I just weighed my stock 2011 5.0 axlebacks and yea they are atleast 46 mabe closer to 47-48 lbs

Shipping weight on my roush axlebacks was 27.8 lbs, including the box, so probably around 26 lbs

not bad, 20+ lbs weight reduction and a much better sound
2011 5.0 6 speed manual BAMA tuned with 20x10.5 Forgestar f14's with 315/35/20 BFG Rivals, 19x9's with 275/40/19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, Koni sport adjustable dampers, Steeda sport springs on the front, stock springs rear, Steeda 101mm CAI, UMI adjustable panhard bar, J&M Extreme joint LCA's, Strano adjustable front sway bar, Eibach camber bolts, Roush axleback

Last edited by Andy13186; 03-16-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Andy13186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Funster_2011V6
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011, V6, MT, MCA Edition

I think he's asking about the little cylindrical dampeners that are bolted to the exhaust at the x pipe and on each muffler.

I mentioned them in my axle back install post, but the thread is so old it may have been pruned from the server.

Anyhow, they are little dampening masses that keep the stock pipes from resonating and the interior quiet. When I put MRT exhaust on my car I took the dampers off the stock mufflers and attached them to the clamps since the MRT set had so much cab drone. It helped some.

I have since switched to the mufflers from Corsa. No drone and plenty loud although they don't have the "sweetness" of tone the MRTs did. But no need for the dampeners.

Hope this helps.

Funster_2011V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Bluesalad

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang V6

Ford probably made the stock exhaust heavier just because they wanted it to last. Drive your Mustang through a couple of winters up here in Michigan and I bet your light weight aftermarket exhaust will be rotting off the car, unless you bought the stainless exhaust.
70 Torino Cobra J code 4 speed drag pack
70 Torino GT convertible M code 4 speed
Bluesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I was talking to a Ford Mechanic, he was telling me the weights are just to cut down on vibration.

But as for the other comments, you guys were mentioning stuff that has been on my mind. I really would like to know how much weight you can shave off by swapping out the exhaust. Of course I live in Kalifornia where there is a limit to how much you can do and pass inspection. I know I was reading some posts and people were talking about how hard it is to change out the exhaust in front of the axle with out a lift so that is another limitation.

I guess I wish exhaust information was a little more available and a little more scientific. I know most people shop based on sound, but I want to be able to figure out what will work best with my set up.

I will have to look for that spread sheet on AFM, that is a good start.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

The is a thread over in AFM that has major components and aftermarket parts weighed. WRX started it.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

How about the wieght of wheels/Rims, is there some where you can look up the weight of say a stock rim so you can compare it the the weight of an after market?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Sure:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hts-specs.html

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...?highlight=350
Old 07-10-2012, 09:25 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2011, atak, axle, backs, borla, exhaust, mufflers, mustang, reduction, roush, s197, savings, steeda, stock, weight, weights