Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Can you chip a Mustang for better gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:36 PM
nakita7

Default Can you chip a Mustang for better gas mileage?

Just curious. Kind of new to the board. We just bought a 2012 V6 Convertible. Love, love, love it!! We got the 'Coyote' for the better gas mileage as we are driving it regularly, just wondering if we can get even better. Not interested in 'chipping' it for the races. The mileage so far is very good, can we get better?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nakita7
Just curious. Kind of new to the board. We just bought a 2012 V6 Convertible. Love, love, love it!! We got the 'Coyote' for the better gas mileage as we are driving it regularly, just wondering if we can get even better. Not interested in 'chipping' it for the races. The mileage so far is very good, can we get better?
Well, first off, you don't actually "chip" the recent generation cars. You can reprogram the existing engine management computer either by buying a tuner device with pre-programmed generic tunes, or you can have a custom dyno tune done at a shop.

Either method is going to require at minimum laying out $350-$400 for a tuner, and since the factory tune is pretty well optimized for mileage already, even if a tune could net you an extra 1 mpg, it'd take a good while to make back the cost involved.

Good driving habits and simple stuff liking keeping the tires properly inflated will pay off immediately and the up front cost is zero.

p.s. Hate to break this to you as well, but if you bought the V6, you don't have a "Coyote". That's the 5.0 V8 engine in the current ponies.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:30 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

I also have a 2012 V6 M6 coupe. Mine came with the 2:73 rear end. I can set the cruise at 70mph and still get 31-32mpg.
I'm not sure what options came with your particular car, but if yours comes with a 3:31 you can change it to a 2:73.. Dont know why anyone would want to do that but it can be done, I'm looking to upgrade mine to a 3:55 soon.

I do know that using a Top-Tier fuel can help mileage and performance. I've been using nothing but Shell from the first day I brought the car home....
http://www.toptiergas.com/
Old 04-01-2012, 04:14 AM
audioAl
4th Gear Member

Don't mean to interrupt but, skip the 355.1 and go to 373.1 you'll thank me
later.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by audioAl
later.
Seconded. If you're looking to improve acceleration, 3:31>3:55 is not going to be a very big change. 3:31>3.73 makes more sense.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

later.
Like the original poster I had gas mileage on my mind when I came up with the 3:55's. I know the 3:73's are a popular choice. I thought 3:55 would be a decent balance of performance and MPG. I have no idea of where I can take my car to do the gear swap in south Texas Unless someone knows a specialty shop in Houston or S. Antonio. P.M. me guys so we dont hijack the thread if someone knows of a mustang shop nearby.... I dont trust the dealersteals too much.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:02 AM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

later.
I do mean to interrupt, and I would suggest 3.55 over 3.73. I'm actually using the 3.55s as well.

I did a lot of research into MPGs, acceleration, top-end and other factors when I chose my gears and they are perfect.

And the V6 engine is code-named 'Cyclone'.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Just a reminder the OP is looking to increase his gas mileage, and going to more performance oriented gearing whether 3.55 or 3.73 isn't going to help that, so let's not let the unrelated debate hijack his thread.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 PM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Just a reminder the OP is looking to increase his gas mileage, and going to more performance oriented gearing whether 3.55 or 3.73 isn't going to help that, so let's not let the unrelated debate hijack his thread.
If that's the case, the OP should go with 2.73s.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:26 PM
nakita7

Thanks. I kind of figured the factory tuning was designed to be pretty good. We just got it, and I know the mileage will get better as it breaks in a bit. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Can you chip a Mustang for better gas mileage?