Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V6 Mustang vs Subaru BRZ Head2Head

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:24 PM
TommyGNR

Once again - Mustang is faster yet "doesn't have as sporty a feel'. I rest my case.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Double Tap

Default It's not a driver's car

Originally Posted by TommyGNR
The video p's me off. The Mustang was faster 0-60, 1/4, and around a Road Course, yet they declare the BRZ a better "drivers car". If the BRZ was a better drivers car it would have beaten the Mustang around the road course. It doesn't match the Mustang's performance at any non-subjective measurement so they invent a subjective one "drivers car". Motortrend is biased toward asian imports - remember when they compared the Genesis to the Mustang. This is another example of it and its why I don't buy their magazine anymore.
I have a 12 vert premium auto. I love this car. I also have an 03 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 auto.

The Stang kicks the crap out of the Jag in any way you want to measure performance statistically.

HOWEVER the Jag is more of a drivers car and I will definitely push the Jag
much harder on twisting roads because it inspires more confidence on rough roads and just plain FEELS like a
better handling car.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Compared to my old bimmer, my Mustang feels like a truck. But I mean that in the best of ways.

The Mustang has other qualities that make me want to drive it everyday.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Great review.. expected that. The BRZ really caught my eye a month or so ago, the styling and intentions are spot on. But like everyone else has said, power is lacking. If you want to be pushed back in your seat, or just want to get on it when getting onto the highway, it's "sporty" but not "fast", and the reviewer even mentions how honda's v-tec (they both have near identical power) feels livelier than that boxer engine. 151lb-ft torque is not much. Just think if it had 230 hp and 190 lb-ft..... without a turbo

Looked like the 3.7 had some good power when they did the straight line runs
Old 06-02-2012, 09:43 PM
BlueDevil
1st Gear Member

Default FR-S

Hi everyone. I'm coming late to this thread. But I've owned a 2006 V-6 Mustang then in 2008 traded it for a lightly used 2005 GT with a manual transmission. I sold my GT and bought the Scion FR-S.

I loved both my Mustangs but didn't need its massive horsepower and I wanted a sporty car with a really nice automatic. The FR-S/BRZ cars are not as straight line fast as the Mustang, but they really do have a nice 'go cart' feel that the Mustang's don't. In the end the size and philosophy of the cars are too different to really compare. The S197 platform can go from V-6 to the Shelby GT500. The FR-S/BRZ were designed as more modest performance cars with an emphasis on road feel.

A lot of reviewers have said the car feels really fast even thought it's not brutally fast. I would have to agree. It's nice to drive.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:51 AM
OneLargeToe
1st Gear Member

Come on, the reality is that most of us don't drive our cars on a track. My Mustang is a daily driver and straight-line speed, raw horsepower and torque are far more useful. Nothing beats the grin I get when I blow past some Prius struggling to get up to speed on the interstate.

At any rate, I read that article and I too thought it was BS. "Drivers car" or not, the Mustang put down the best numbers. That's all that matters at the end of the day.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Double Tap

Default Oh come on

Originally Posted by OneLargeToe
Come on, the reality is that most of us don't drive our cars on a track. My Mustang is a daily driver and straight-line speed, raw horsepower and torque are far more useful. Nothing beats the grin I get when I blow past some Prius struggling to get up to speed on the interstate.

At any rate, I read that article and I too thought it was BS. "Drivers car" or not, the Mustang put down the best numbers. That's all that matters at the end of the day.
Please do not take this as a personal attack in any way. I think you are probably a younger person who might not have had the joyful experience of driving a very good handling and balanced car.

All I have to do is drive 10 minutes north of NYC into Westchester County to be on some twisting up and down roads.

As I said in a previous post I have an 03 Jaguar X - Type 2.5 mouse motor with auto and all wheel drive.

While I am sure that if I pushed the Stang hard and drove in a way that's not prudent on public roads, I could get the Stang to be as quick through the curves. However power slides are a quick way to wind up with a visit to the Graybar Hotel or possibly in a ditch.

My mouse motor Jag is definitely much quicker and safer in those conditions.

That said I love the Stang and where I can use pure power the Stang is a blast to drive and I am seriously considering getting a 2015 if they go with an independent rear. If Ford keeps the live rear I will be looking at the competition.
Again this is not meant in any way other than to point out to you that raw power is not the answer to all situations.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 AM
TommyGNR

Double Tap - from your posting I can tell you don't actually have a '11 or '12 V6 with the Performance Package.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Double Tap

Default Correct

Originally Posted by TommyGNR
Double Tap - from your posting I can tell you don't actually have a '11 or '12 V6 with the Performance Package.
You are correct, it does not have the PP, but then again neither does my 03 X-Type with the Mickey Mouse Motor have the Sport Package that was available
Old 06-05-2012, 09:46 AM
TommyGNR

Originally Posted by Double Tap
You are correct, it does not have the PP, but then again neither does my 03 X-Type with the Mickey Mouse Motor have the Sport Package that was available
1) Motortrend tested the lateral resistence to G on v6 with the PP to be .98 - higher than a BMW M3, GT Mustang, and only .02 lower than the Boss 302.
2) Motortrend tested the 0 - 60 - 0 (braking ability) for the v6 with the PP - also beating the M3.

The v6 with PP can hold turns at a higher speed and brake faster than a M3.
Your 03 X-type with or without its Sport package was barely competitive with a BMW 328 when it came out much less a current M series.

The v6 with the PP can hold turns with ease that would put your jag in a ditch.
Maybe its the lacking engine performance (192 hp/172 ft-lbs) that makes you feel safe?

Quick Reply: V6 Mustang vs Subaru BRZ Head2Head