Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Winter Warm Up Time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 AM
GTC
1st Gear Member

Default Winter Warm Up Time?

Most of the year I give it two minutes from starting the engine to pulling down my driveway, I drive without loading the engine significantly until in operating temperatures.

Below 32, like this morning, I'll give it four to five before pulling off.

Are these about right, or overkill?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Personally I just wait for the RPM's to lower on their own and take off, drive mild until I reach the end of the street then drive normal. But here is Cali the coldest we get is like 60 so....

Matthew
Old 11-01-2012, 02:18 PM
mmdpg
1st Gear Member

Way over kill. Like GTC said, wait for the RPM's to drop on their own after starting, drive conservatively until the temp is in the normal range. Engines and especially transmissions warm better and much faster under load not idling for extended periods.

I do start the car early if there is significant frost or ice on the windows and wait for some heat to start the melting process before scraping the glass and it helps remove any interior fogging.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:07 PM
GTC
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I talked to Ford today. They said basically what Matt said; and that extensive idling is not going to hurt anything, just waste gas.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Double Tap

Originally Posted by GTC
Most of the year I give it two minutes from starting the engine to pulling down my driveway, I drive without loading the engine significantly until in operating temperatures.

Below 32, like this morning, I'll give it four to five before pulling off.

Are these about right, or overkill?

Thanks
All I do is start the car put it in gear and drive as if the car was running for an hour. The only time I do not do this is when the temperature is below 25° F. The reason is not because I am concerned about the engine but because I want the suspension to warm up before I hit any NYC pot holes. Extreme cold and hard jolts to suspension parts are not a good combination.

High quality synthetic oil and filter will protect the engine regardless of the myths you will read.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 PM
2011V6Conv
1st Gear Member

While I don't live in very cold areas, my understanding is that you should not wait more than it takes to the rpm to lower on their own. Idling is not better for the engine than driving in low rpm till the engine warms up. Furthermore, at that point in time of starting cold the engine is probably polluting the most, so waiting 5 min does not help with the air quality of your neighborhood

I personally alway start and immediately start driving, easy on the engine till it warms up
Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I just wait for the engine to drop down below 1k and then drive off... I try to keep it under 3500rpm until it warms up. The auto trans shifts like a brutal SOB when it's cold!

Nothing like a Borla cold start to flex the car and wake the neighborhood
Old 11-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Nothing like a Borla cold start to flex the car and wake the neighborhood

+1 My apartment complex loves my offroad pipe and Stingers.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:59 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket254
+1 My apartment complex loves my offroad pipe and Stingers.

I see you're from the rocket city. I'm surprised I haven't seen/heard you around. Stingers FTW!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Rocket254
2nd Gear Member

Heh, we've probably driven past each other and not realized it. 90% of my time is spent close to or on the Arsenal.

Quick Reply: Winter Warm Up Time?