Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Yet another exhaust thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM
newhorsecoming

Default Yet another exhaust thread

Hi, everyone. I just registered here yesterday, but have been on here reading for a while now. I have a new V-6 premium with the 6 speed manual on order. Probably the main mod on my list, at least for now will be the exhaust. I have searched and read a ton on here and listened to a lot of the clips on youtube. I do like the MRT system that I learned about here. I am intrigued by the Roush, and especially its price, but am concerned as many think its too loud. I currently have an HHR that I put one of the Dynomax VT mufflers on. I really like it on that car. It works as advertised. Anyone here running that and what do you think of it? One complaint I have is that my car sounds kind of wheezy at idle with that muffler. Also, I am wondering about the Dynomax catback system, which may actually be a little less money, not that that is a huge deal. I would like a little stronger sound at idle, which is why I am curious about it. Also, I can't find on their site any info about actual power gains with this system to compare it to the axle back. Thoughts?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:05 PM
moto2000

Where were you thinking of getting the exhaust from? I am also interested in the dynomax because of price/performance and a current $75 rebate going on through june 30th.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to (posting on) the forum!

Don't expect an axleback to make a noticeable difference in power. you may enjoy the sound more - and that's a good thing! - but you won't be changing the airflow through the engine enough to really move the needle much.

If you can spring for it, a nice set of long tube headers and a CAI would probably help more on power and torque...at least +20/+20. Let the modding begin!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 AM
newhorsecoming

Moto, where would I find the details of the rebate? Another look at the site shows 11 HP for the catback, and 10 for the axleback. Of course, my primary reason to change the exhaust is sound. I wouldn't be willing to give up any power, but any I could add would be nice! I would be surprised if one can honestly feel 10hp on these cars, but I don't know for sure. I would probably buy from Jegs, or Summit, but I would even check with Advance first, as sometimes their prices are quite good, and I get a book in the mail with a couple of coupons each month. I was starting to lean more toward the MRT, but if there is a $75 rebate, I will look at the Dynomax some more!
Old 03-09-2013, 12:36 PM
newhorsecoming

Well, I got a call from my dealer this week. They have a vin for my car assigned, and an ETA of 3-25 to 4-6! We have a shop here that does a lot of Mustangs, and they are quite fond of the MRT stuff, so I went ahead and ordered them. I should have them sitting in my garage waiting for the car to arrive.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 PM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

Sweet newhorse !!! Let us know how they sound...I just woke my car up with a set of muffler deletes
Old 03-19-2013, 03:39 PM
gus_vb
1st Gear Member

I installed the BBK Headers to my car, and the sound improvement with the Headers is pretty impressive