Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

How many people have changed driveshaft on 2011-present

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:37 AM
hurricaneduc
1st Gear Member

Default How many people have changed driveshaft on 2011-present

I was wondering how many people have changed their driveshaft on their 2011-2013 because of the issue with it? Do you think if we take all those driveshafts and dump them on Fords front doorstep they would get the message?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:32 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

This might work better with a poll. I never had an issue with my driveshaft and I replaced the gears in my car. I did replace it though, mainly to reduce weight and increase critical speed. I think you'll find very few people, if any, with a stock 3.7l who had a driveshaft failure. If you're removing the governor, then you have to know you need to start beefing up components to support higher speeds. I've got 63,000 miles on my car, 30,000 with gears and a stock shaft. 60,000 miles total on the stock shaft. It looked completely fine when I removed it.

In reality, when are you going faster than 112mph? You don't on a 1/4 mile track or autocross circuit, so unless you're driving at Leguna Seca or VIR, I don't think you have anything worry about.

Threads like these just add to the false hype. Did your driveshaft fail? I'd like to hear about it if it did. I really only know of a few that failed, all of which were modded cars, including the infamous youtube video at 135mph. There might have been one stock failure, but I can't remember at this point.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Abushehab
1st Gear Member

I changed my drive shaft too but I plan to move to Germany and enjoy the autobahn....
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Changing it out more to reduce rotating mass than anything...and also I won't have to worry about it if / when I make it over to GingerMan this year...
Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 PM
hurricaneduc
1st Gear Member

I'm planning on going to Willow Springs or Auto Club Speedway for a track day and see how well the suspension, wheels do.

The point is if you have an engineering flaw, fix it! I don't think people would mind paying an extra $700 or so as long as its made safe and right. Yeah, I know if I wanted to that fast I should have bought a GT but I did like the power of the V6 and could afford it even mod it.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:48 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hurricaneduc
The point is if you have an engineering flaw, fix it! I don't think people would mind paying an extra $700 or so as long as its made safe and right.
Amen! One less thing to worry about. One other thing...I'm thinking about going to shorter gears, so that's going to increase my driveshaft RPM vs speed too. That lowers the critical shaft speed vs RPM, so I'm likely to get closer to danger speed more easily in the future.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:25 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

I'm sure Hogg is tired of seeing me post this response on the boards, but...

Check sig....
Old 06-06-2013, 06:26 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Not at all, you prove my point.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 AM
hurricaneduc
1st Gear Member

Replace gears to 3.55 and put the aluminum driveshaft on what a difference! Dyo'ed about 100 miles after that and she went about 140 mph and still had legs. The hp didn't improve that much but I can use the engine more efficiently now. Don't forget to put get the tune for it the speedo error is huge!

Thanks CCC motors in Santee Ca. great job on gear swap out!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 PM
NeverEnoughVA

Replacing the driveshaft has been the best thing I've done to the car. I picked up 9 HP, the driveline lash and vibration are a lot less, it shifts better and just feels a lot more refined. I recommend it purely from the drivability standpoint.

Quick Reply: How many people have changed driveshaft on 2011-present