Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > V6 S197 General Discussion > 3.7L V6 Technical Discussions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


3.7L with Automatic; Burnout question

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
manley845
 
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle: 2013 FORD MUSTANG 3.7L
Location: FL
Posts: 20
Default 3.7L with Automatic; Burnout question

So, I imagine this question has been asked already, but I can't seem to find a good answer. I'm hoping you guys can help me out better than Google

I recently bought a 2013 V6 with Automatic, ya ya ya I shoulda got a 5.0 manual, but I really enjoy this car.

Anyways, It seems that the Auto version feels limited on power when attempting a burnout or break-torque. I don't just mean that the V6 is low on power, I mean that it feels like there is something in the computer actually restricting the car from spinning the tires.

Do you guys know if these cars have such a restriction, and if so, is there a programmer that eliminates it?

My Nissan Titan was restriced to 60% throttle below 40mph, and I wonder if the Mustang has something like that.

Thanks guys
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
manley845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Keep it real
2nd Gear Member
 
Keep it real's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 08 V6 Premium
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 228
Default

Is the traction control kicking in? I don't have this problem because I don't have that. As for programmers, American Muscle has several programmers that add horsepower as well as torque and a few other things. I don't have one YET but if you do consider a programmer it has been suggested that you get a CAI/programmer combo to squeeze more horsepower and torque out of the 3.7. When I do burnout's I can take it to the redline if I wanted so.... I have no idea, maybe someone could give you a better response than I have. Good luck, and keep burning rubber!
Keep it real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member
 
Murgatroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 2013 V6
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 184
Default

Yeah, you have to turn the traction control off or you won't do anything.

It is on the console, next to the four ways and the trunk release.
Murgatroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Nuke
6th Gear Member
 
Nuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 2007 GT
Location: PA to KY ('07) to IL ('09) to MS ('10) to FL ('11)
Posts: 16,116
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke
Default

Traction control will definitely kill attempts to spin the wheels. Read the OM.

Additional power will help with that, too. A good CAI & custom tune is about your best bang-for-the-buck short of going FI. It'll also even out the power curve a good bit since the 3.7 is programmed from the factory for power high in the RPM band compared to the low end.

And what gears are you running?
__________________
Rick
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
JimC
Moderator
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,656
Default

All 2013 automatics have a torque management system. Can't do a burn out with the stock tune because the built in management system won't let you get it above 2,000 rpm doing a brake stand.

Has nothing to do with traction control or V6 vs V8. Turn the TCS and advance track off fully and the car still won't go over 2,000 rpm. It is all in the tune -get an aftermarket tune and you can do a burn out.
__________________

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
manley845
 
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle: 2013 FORD MUSTANG 3.7L
Location: FL
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
All 2013 automatics have a torque management system. Can't do a burn out with the stock tune because the built in management system won't let you get it above 2,000 rpm doing a brake stand.

Has nothing to do with traction control or V6 vs V8. Turn the TCS and advance track off fully and the car still won't go over 2,000 rpm. It is all in the tune -get an aftermarket tune and you can do a burn out.
That's what I was thinking.

It just seems limited by the computer, not the engine.

I played around tonight and the engine will NOT rev above about 1900-2000rpm when brake is applied.

Additionally, when accelerating from a stop, it appears to have part throttle restriction until about 30-40MPH and then it seems that the engine begins to run unrestricted. My girlfriend agreed that she could feel the car holding back.

I really hope this is the case [and I'll find out soon enough, as I plan on buying a tuner soon] because I can only imagine the potential this thing really has, once unrestricted.
manley845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
manley845
 
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle: 2013 FORD MUSTANG 3.7L
Location: FL
Posts: 20
Default

Found something!!

http://qa2k3.fordtechservice.dealerc...sbrakeover.pdf

Brake Over Accelerator
manley845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
manley845
 
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle: 2013 FORD MUSTANG 3.7L
Location: FL
Posts: 20
Default

Woo Whooo!!!

I got the tires to spin, lol.

So, I thought I tried this yesterday, but I guess I had a brain fart or something.
But, if you hold down the Traction Control button for more than 5 seconds it will turn off the Brake-Over-Accelerator feature and you can spin the tires.

I do think a programmer will help out a lot, at least in regards to getting the tires to start spinning. Once they're going though, holy crap! lol
manley845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
mustangergt
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2013,Ford,MustangGT
Location: KS
Posts: 115
Default Burnout

I had a 2011 V6 with auto. Stock gears were 2.73. I turned off traction control and advance trac. Still not much though I love the car. 31/32 mpg on hwy. Then the bug to mod hit me. I went to AM for stuff. I got the Bama turne, BBK long tube headers, X pipe and mufflers. Went to dealer had them install 3.73 gears, reason is they know more about that then I. Also had them put on my long tube and x pipe.

Then when I turned on trac and advance trac the tires would smoke from a stand still and even many times when rolling they would spin some with trac off. Made the car a whole lot more fun.

Last edited by mustangergt; 05-05-2013 at 03:29 PM.
mustangergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
manley845
 
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle: 2013 FORD MUSTANG 3.7L
Location: FL
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangergt View Post
I had a 2011 V6 with auto. Stock gears were 2.73. I turned off traction control and advance trac. Still not much though I love the car. 31/32 mpg on hwy. Then the bug to mod hit me. I went to AM for stuff. I got the Bama turne, BBK long tube headers, X pipe and mufflers. Went to dealer had them install 3.73 gears, reason is they know more about that then I. Also had them put on my long tube and x pipe.

Then when I turned on trac and advance trac the tires would smoke from a stand still and even many times when rolling they would spin some with trac off. Made the car a whole lot more fun.
That's awesome to hear.

I can't wait to get it tuned, install LT headers and off-road pipe, and gears [trying to decide between 3.73 and 4.10]. I mostly just drive in town at speeds under 65mph, so I'm thinnking I'm not as worried about highway MPG's and may go with the 4.10's
manley845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
vegas_
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2013, Ford, Mustang
Location: NV
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manley845 View Post
Woo Whooo!!!
I got the tires to spin, lol.

So, I thought I tried this yesterday, but I guess I had a brain fart or something.
But, if you hold down the Traction Control button for more than 5 seconds it will turn off the Brake-Over-Accelerator feature and you can spin the tires.

I do think a programmer will help out a lot, at least in regards to getting the tires to start spinning. Once they're going though, holy crap! lol
This does NOT work with my 2013 Auto V6
While Stopped, I hold down the trac control button for 5 seconds, then dash says Advancedtrac off.
Then with my left foot on the brake, right foot on the accel,
2000 RPM's is the highest it goes even with the gas pedal all the way to the floor.

Maybe there is something specific you have to do? Press the button before? or after you start the engine?? Or something else?
vegas_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
JimC
Moderator
 
JimC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Vehicle: 2013 MCA convertible
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_ View Post
This does NOT work with my 2013 Auto V6
While Stopped, I hold down the trac control button for 5 seconds, then dash says Advancedtrac off.
Then with my left foot on the brake, right foot on the accel,
2000 RPM's is the highest it goes even with the gas pedal all the way to the floor.

Maybe there is something specific you have to do? Press the button before? or after you start the engine?? Or something else?
The specific thing you have to do is get a tune. You are describing exactly what the stock tune is designed to do.

One guy was able to do a burnout, but he used a "running start" to get the car rolling first and then applied the brakes. Can't do that at the drag strip though.
__________________

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
manley845
 
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle: 2013 FORD MUSTANG 3.7L
Location: FL
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegas_ View Post
This does NOT work with my 2013 Auto V6
While Stopped, I hold down the trac control button for 5 seconds, then dash says Advancedtrac off.
Then with my left foot on the brake, right foot on the accel,
2000 RPM's is the highest it goes even with the gas pedal all the way to the floor.

Maybe there is something specific you have to do? Press the button before? or after you start the engine?? Or something else?
Although I was excited to do the burnout with my foot on the brke and vehicle stopped, it was also a wet parking lot.

On dry pavement it still only is able to offer a little chirp and not much more. It also still seems to be restricted by Ford's Brake-Over-Accelerator feature, which I though was to be disabled when holding the Traction button for more than 5 seconds. Maybe the feature is turned off, but this poor engine with steep gearing just doesn't have the poop to spin the tires.

Well, I get my SCT tuner tomorrow and the 4.10 gears should be here Monday, so I'll update how that goes
manley845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
2k232
2nd Gear Member
 
2k232's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Vehicle: 2012 Mustang 3.7 M6
Location: South Carolina- Rock Hill
Posts: 344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manley845 View Post
Although I was excited to do the burnout with my foot on the brke and vehicle stopped, it was also a wet parking lot.

On dry pavement it still only is able to offer a little chirp and not much more. It also still seems to be restricted by Ford's Brake-Over-Accelerator feature, which I though was to be disabled when holding the Traction button for more than 5 seconds. Maybe the feature is turned off, but this poor engine with steep gearing just doesn't have the poop to spin the tires.

Well, I get my SCT tuner tomorrow and the 4.10 gears should be here Monday, so I'll update how that goes

Well even with the 2.73 gears my 3.7/manual trans doesn't feel like a "poor engine" just saying.
__________________

Member#167
2012 mustang 3.7 M6 Black/Black/Black
JLT Intake 93R MPT ghost cam tune Lethalperformance o/r H MBRP axel back SR Springs SR Panhard Bar and some other stuff
2k232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
cariacou
2nd Gear Member
 
cariacou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Vehicle: 2011 Mustang v6 convertible
Location: CA
Posts: 180
Default

let me know, I'm having 4.10 installed on tuesday and will be in the market for custom tunes right after 8)
__________________
2011 v6 convertible | 6-spd Auto | Premium | Red Candy
mods: Steeda CAI | Brenspeed 91P | PS2 285/30/20 & 255/35/20 | 4.10 Gears | Koni STR T | Eibach Pro Springs | UMI LCAs + Relocation | UMI Adj Panhard Bar | STI-R+ | Racing Stripes | Heated Seats
upcoming: Decklid | Hawk PC | ATE Super Blue

Selling:
Mustang Brembo Center Caps x4 - 40$
Mustang 2010-2014 GT Faux Gas Cap - 25$
Premium Steering Wheel 11-14 - 100$
cariacou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
Derf00
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '08 S197 GT
Location: AZ
Posts: 9,911
Default

Here is another tip...put the auto into 1st gear manually. auto's tend to want to upshift as soon as possible (fuel efficiency). Manually shift into 2nd when you need to/want to, you'll hold the burnout into 2nd and possible even third.
__________________
08 S197 GT Auto: FRPP Strut Tower Brace, FRPP Bullitt CAI, Bama 91-P Tune, VBX remaned valve body with Superior Transmission Shift Kit.
Pending upgrades: Shaftmasters Aluminum 3.5" DS, FRPP 3.73 gears, Axle back exahust (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
manley845
 
Join Date: May 2013
Vehicle: 2013 FORD MUSTANG 3.7L
Location: FL
Posts: 20
Default

Just installed my Bama tune yesterday and it makes a noticable difference.

My car now does burnouts with ease. I can just hold the brake and ease into the throttle and the tires start spinning!!!
I'm currently trying the 93 Performance tune, as the 93 Race tune has an error in the code and sets the SES light.

Yup, just hold the Traction Control button for more than 5 seconds, and it does turn off the BOA feature.

Now I really can't wait to get the 4.10's installed next week.

Oh, and my 0-60mph went from 6.7 sec to 6.2 after the tune. Understand that those are just attempts on the backroads, so it's hard to get a good launch [too nervous about cops, LOL].
manley845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #18
Green Stang
 
Green Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang
Location: California
Posts: 33
EG Heart
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manley845 View Post
Just installed my Bama tune yesterday and it makes a noticable difference.

My car now does burnouts with ease. I can just hold the brake and ease into the throttle and the tires start spinning!!!
I'm currently trying the 93 Performance tune, as the 93 Race tune has an error in the code and sets the SES light.

Yup, just hold the Traction Control button for more than 5 seconds, and it does turn off the BOA feature.

Now I really can't wait to get the 4.10's installed next week.

Oh, and my 0-60mph went from 6.7 sec to 6.2 after the tune. Understand that those are just attempts on the backroads, so it's hard to get a good launch [too nervous about cops, LOL].
Congrats! I have had problems doing burn outs in my v6 since I purchased it. I have tried on 87 Street, 91 performance and race tune with no luck. It still wouldn't kick over 2k RPM.

But I was finally able figured it out today while running my 87 Street tune, not sure if it will work on stock tune. But here is how I did it...

1) Turn off Traction Control (I turned ADV Track off, press break hold track button).
2) Put car in sports mode, while at standstill put car into second gear.
3) Floor the gas and hit the break right after
4) Shift down to first gear
5) Now you should be covered in that beautiful white smoke
__________________
Green Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #19
lynxwolf
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2013 3.7 Automatic Convertible Premium
Location: Pennsburg , PA
Posts: 6
lynxwolf
Send a message via AIM to lynxwolf Send a message via Skype™ to lynxwolf
Default

I have a 13 V6 Auto the 2k rpm thing was giving me a problem you have to request then to disable it when you put in for your bama tunes.
It took a few other stuff was jacked up to my sportmode was stuck in 3rd and none of my gauges worked they found out the code was one number off on my computer i went down bama and ryan help me alot now i can smoke wheels and it runs like a bat out of hell
lynxwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
willmonte72
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2012 Ford Mustang
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3
Default

So, doing a burnout is one thing. but what about staging?? even with the trac off, staged at a light, in 1st gear manually, it caps at 2K,( i have a bama tune, cai, bbk throttle body etc..) so when i leave it falls on its face and my 60ft times are disgraceful. plus i plan on boosting it, so how can i build any boost from a stop with that damn BOA set-up??
willmonte72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup