Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Time to upgrade my mustang, Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 AM
zoanemesis

Default Time to upgrade my mustang, Ideas?

Hey so I've been leasing my gray 2012 V6 mustang and I love it so much, that I decided to buy it. What upgrades should I start to do to it? So far I've added a touch screen, made a tint appointment and today Im putting in some blue led dome lights. What else should I do? I was thinking about upgrading the speakers, so if anybody has any input as to what kind of speakers to put in, it would be appreciated. Also what color stripe would look good? I'll probably put in a new exhaust and debating on getting it tuned as I have heard problems about going to fast with the driveshaft. What do you guys think,your answers are much appreciated as I'm fairly new to all this.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:53 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

It all depends on what goals you have for the car. Are you just wanting to make it look cooler, perform or handle better? All of the above?
Old 04-25-2014, 05:10 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

For stripe colors the best thing you can do is go on American Muscle and looks at their customer images on the styles you like. Tint is always a good mod. Great for appearance and completely changes the feel of the inside of the car, so good call.

For speakers, you can't go wrong with Kicker or Rockford Fosgate. Do you have the Shaker system or base?

About the tune, no one says you have to go faster than the stock governor because you get a tune, but if you do want to go faster, get a one-piece DS. Kind of pricey, so I would make sure you actually care about going faster before dishing out the cash.

Anyway, good for you OP on deciding to keep your Stang. Good luck with it.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:23 PM
need4speed
Former Sponsor

Hey zoanemesis, Congratulations on your purchase. I would highly recommend an exhaust system for your stang, the factory exhaust may work but at the end of the day the stock system if very restrictive compared to an aftermarket system, as for your fear of the driveshaft issue, you have nothing to fear about unless you remove the top speed limiter, if you do remove the limiter I would suggest a one piece driveshaft, because the stock two-piece drive shafts are prone to failure around 150 MPH - Adir H.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:51 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zoanemesis
Hey so I've been leasing my gray 2012 V6 mustang and I love it so much, that I decided to buy it. What upgrades should I start to do to it? So far I've added a touch screen, made a tint appointment and today Im putting in some blue led dome lights. What else should I do? I was thinking about upgrading the speakers, so if anybody has any input as to what kind of speakers to put in, it would be appreciated. Also what color stripe would look good? I'll probably put in a new exhaust and debating on getting it tuned as I have heard problems about going to fast with the driveshaft. What do you guys think,your answers are much appreciated as I'm fairly new to all this.
This V6 Power Package is a nice choice for one of your first mods.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:36 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on hanging onto it!

I've done intake, exhaust, driveshaft and tune so far and it works great. Of those, I would say the stock exhaust manifolds were the most spectacularly poor from the factory, so when you're up to it that may be a good place to start. I was surprised that the driveshaft was a noticeable difference too, but again the stock one is fine at stock power levels and moderate velocities.

No matter which way you go, I hope you enjoy it!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:26 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Congrats on keeping the ride, your really going to enjoy the modding!

Stripes certainly give the car a new look. On a gray Stang, I've always been partial to black stripes, I think it gives the car a sleek and stealth look. However, there are plenty of other colors that can be pulled off with gray as well.

An exhaust would also be a great next step, the 3.7s really have a nice tone and I don't think you will be disappointed. Tuning is generally a good option as well, while I cannot speak for other companies, I can confirm that the Bama tunes are safe to run even with the weak driveshafts that came in some of the V6 cars.

Regardless, it sounds like you have your head in the right place, and are going to build a nice machine here. Definitely keep us posted, happy modding and best of luck!

-Dan
Old 06-05-2014, 09:18 AM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

For V6 mods?
I've always heard CJponyparts.com and LateModelRestoration.com is the BEST in terms of prices and selection. They will also help with your TUNE and keep you legal in the streets.

I've had experience with AmericanMuscle and lets just say I'll never order from them again -- but it's your choice really.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:23 AM
AMAlexLazarus
Former Sponsor

OP,

If you're to see any parts that you're interested in elsewhere listed for less please let us know and we'll have a price match set up! Feel free to shoot me a PM for your first order and I'll get you hooked up to get you in the door! Bama Tuning was the first company to break the 2011 3.7L V6 Into the 11's!

Originally Posted by azdevil1
For V6 mods?
I've always heard CJponyparts.com and LateModelRestoration.com is the BEST in terms of prices and selection. They will also help with your TUNE and keep you legal in the streets.

I've had experience with AmericanMuscle and lets just say I'll never order from them again -- but it's your choice really.
AZDevil1,

We pride ourselves on having the most aggressive pricing possible to allow our customers to modify their Mustang's without breaking the bank! We allow price matching and in some instances we can even beat it to go the extra mile!

-Alex
Old 06-10-2014, 10:57 AM
azdevil1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus
OP,
AZDevil1,

We pride ourselves on having the most aggressive pricing possible to allow our customers to modify their Mustang's without breaking the bank! We allow price matching and in some instances we can even beat it to go the extra mile!

-Alex
That's great...
If you ship the correct product.

Quick Reply: Time to upgrade my mustang, Ideas?