Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-20-2015, 10:13 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Did I buy a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by donelly
It's at the dealership since this morning. Received a call an hour ago and was told they found an error code that shouldn't exist or is not officially listed. The plot thickens...
you might want to find another dealer. They've already BSed you about codes clearing when you restart the car, now they're feeding you this line.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:00 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz78817
you might want to find another dealer. They've already BSed you about codes clearing when you restart the car, now they're feeding you this line.
This.

+1
Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

You can also remind them that they have three attempts to fix this and if its still coming back again for the same crap...its officially a Lemon and they will need to consider paying you for buying it back or finding you a suitable replacement. Put a report in with the Ford Customer Service dept and get yourself a documented case number detailing the problem and the date or dates of when it went into the dealership. And keep all records of work done by the dealer with digital copies forwarded to the Ford Customer Service dept under the case number they open up.

If they muck this up...doing the above will make the push for a new replacement much easier. And if the timing is spot on with it...you could find yourself pulling an s550 out of them as that suitable replacement.

Patience and methodical followup on this will be the foil for that dealer and deservedly so for blowing smoke up your rear in the first place. Kill em with the reuse of cordial understanding and kindness...then shove the knife in and slowly start twisting it until you get this resolved.

Just saying.

---
Old 06-27-2014, 08:12 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Kill em with the reuse of cordial understanding and kindness...then shove the knife in and slowly start twisting it until you get this resolved.
and don't turn your back on this guy...
Old 06-28-2014, 07:21 PM
donelly

well I didn't take it to the dealership who initially told me that codes aren't stored. I actually have 4 or 5 ford dealerships between where I live and work. Anyway, I got the car back today and was told that they could not replicate my issue and that I should return when it occurs again. They found an error code but didn't know what it meant so they contacted a Ford Hot Line for "detailed pinpoint information." They printed out Ford's response which is below. Most of it sounds chinese to me:

Dealer: Cust states that after driving around 1/2 hour, the traction control and traction control off lights come on/if restarts car, lights go off. Have found one code DTC C1A41 for clutch pedal sensor circuit. DTC info not found in workshop manual. Need to know what pinpoint test to use for this code.

Ford Hot Line Response: We have seen previous reports with this code present and the cause has been customer driving habits, therefore it would be recommended to reproduce the symptom and if unable to duplicate yourself, it may be helpful to ask the customer when this code appears or to have the customer drive the vehicle in the way they do when the code appears and traction control lamp comes on. Also inspect for any add on or aftermarket accessories such as a remote starter, alarm system, snap shot device, etc that may be present. These systems have been seen as causes for various electrical symptoms.

However, if the system can be duplicated without the customer you can then refer to page 31-1 of the online EVTM in order to diagnose a fault on the clutch pedal position switch or the switch itself. When the switch is at rest (not pressed) there is ground provided to the PCM on circuit CE904(GN-VT) to the PCM. When the clutch pedal is pressed, this switch becomes open and therefore the ground is removed as this circuit becomes open indicating the clutch pedal has been pressed to the PCM. It may also be helpful to check the PCM for any other codes that may or may not be present as this may be a plausibility issue with another input that does not agree with the input received from the clutch pedal switch input. If no other codes are present, then disconnect end connectors at the PCM and clutch pedal position switch and load test these circuits with a suitable load such as a bulb and supply power and ground to each circuit. With the circuit loaded, measure the voltage dropped across the bulb and compare it to source voltage. A voltage drop (difference) or 0.3V or more indicates a circuit fault is present and you can either overlay or repair as needed. If all circuits prove out, then ensure G104 is both clean and secure and if so, suspect the clutch pedal position switch.

Drove the car for a while today and the lights didn't come on but I didn't take it on the freeway which is normally when things go downhill. Guess I have to go back next week when the issue occurs.

Of course I don't have any aftermarket items installed and my driving habits are conservative -- no burnouts, no abrupt stops, no excessive speeding and accelerating, etc..
Old 06-28-2014, 07:29 PM
donelly

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
You can also remind them that they have three attempts to fix this and if its still coming back again for the same crap...its officially a Lemon and they will need to consider paying you for buying it back or finding you a suitable replacement. Put a report in with the Ford Customer Service dept and get yourself a documented case number detailing the problem and the date or dates of when it went into the dealership. And keep all records of work done by the dealer with digital copies forwarded to the Ford Customer Service dept under the case number they open up.

If they muck this up...doing the above will make the push for a new replacement much easier. And if the timing is spot on with it...you could find yourself pulling an s550 out of them as that suitable replacement.

Patience and methodical followup on this will be the foil for that dealer and deservedly so for blowing smoke up your rear in the first place. Kill em with the reuse of cordial understanding and kindness...then shove the knife in and slowly start twisting it until you get this resolved.

Just saying.

---
man I really hope it doesn't have to come to this... I searched for weeks and eventually drove 2 hours to a dealership in the suburbs to get that particular car with appearance package and m/t. there's no other car I'd rather drive (that I can afford) than what I have now, but it blows that I already have issues with it.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:42 PM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Dealer: Cust states that after driving around 1/2 hour, the traction control and traction control off lights come on/if restarts car, lights go off. Have found one code DTC C1A41 for clutch pedal sensor circuit. DTC info not found in workshop manual. Need to know what pinpoint test to use for this code.
Ok, that makes more sense. It's not that the code "doesn't exist," it's that it's a code which doesn't have a related workshop manual (kind of a "Best practices" guide dealers get) procedure to diagnose it.

Ford Hot Line Response: We have seen previous reports with this code present and the cause has been customer driving habits, therefore it would be recommended to reproduce the symptom and if unable to duplicate yourself, it may be helpful to ask the customer when this code appears or to have the customer drive the vehicle in the way they do when the code appears and traction control lamp comes on. Also inspect for any add on or aftermarket accessories such as a remote starter, alarm system, snap shot device, etc that may be present. These systems have been seen as causes for various electrical symptoms.
the way I read this, they've seen reports of this DTC when the signal from the clutch pedal sensor doesn't agree with what the rest of the car is doing, and that they've seen it on cars with aftermarket accessories like remote starters which have to tap into the clutch sensor circuit.

However, if the system can be duplicated without the customer you can then refer to page 31-1 of the online EVTM in order to diagnose a fault on the clutch pedal position switch or the switch itself. When the switch is at rest (not pressed) there is ground provided to the PCM on circuit CE904(GN-VT) to the PCM. When the clutch pedal is pressed, this switch becomes open and therefore the ground is removed as this circuit becomes open indicating the clutch pedal has been pressed to the PCM. It may also be helpful to check the PCM for any other codes that may or may not be present as this may be a plausibility issue with another input that does not agree with the input received from the clutch pedal switch input. If no other codes are present, then disconnect end connectors at the PCM and clutch pedal position switch and load test these circuits with a suitable load such as a bulb and supply power and ground to each circuit. With the circuit loaded, measure the voltage dropped across the bulb and compare it to source voltage. A voltage drop (difference) or 0.3V or more indicates a circuit fault is present and you can either overlay or repair as needed. If all circuits prove out, then ensure G104 is both clean and secure and if so, suspect the clutch pedal position switch.
EVTM=Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual. when you aren't pressing the clutch pedal, the switch connects circuit CE904 (via a green-violet wire) to ground. When you press the clutch pedal, the switch opens and the PCM should see that.

So the stability control (traction control) system needs to know what you're doing with the clutch pedal in order to know what to do. And what the PCM is reading from the clutch pedal switch occasionally doesn't make sense.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Granny shifting or double clutching???

Hmmm?

Driver mod is what its all basically recommending.

Just saying.

---
Old 07-13-2014, 10:43 AM
plumbago

Originally Posted by IvanRad
i would definitely get your codes scanned. then i would change out the sparks , and plugs, make sure you get better than oem quality. if that doesn't fix it probably your coil packs. Check the exhaust system to make sure all bolts are tight.
Change all filters including fuel filter, run a bottle of the techron or lucas fuel treatment.
Drop that oil make sure its clean and get a good oil filter. Might want to think about an oil catch can it helped me lots catching all that oil. And if you still don't like the way its idling. clean the throttle body and check maf sensor. This might all sound Chinese but keep up with your maintenance and throw a couple of aftermarket parts in there.
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS GUY !!! This is the worst advise I've ever seen, it's obvious he missed the only 3 mo. old new car....work with your Dealer...and NO you do not have a lemon........best regards Plum
Old 07-25-2014, 05:52 PM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jz
That is horrible advice to give to someone who only has a 3 month old car.

I wouldn't waste your time or money changing plugs, filters and what not. I would take it to the dealer. You don't need them telling you it's due to some unnecessary work you did.
I was just stating as if he had no choice but to keep it...

Quick Reply: Did I buy a lemon?