351 Mustang

brake caliper's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 AM
vanilliagorillia79

Default brake caliper's?

are there any upgrades for brake calipers on an 88gt with 4 lugs? like bigger calipers or 2 piston calipers? something better than stock is what i am looking for. i have 17" cobra wheels. a 351w for a motor, so now how do i slow this monster down without going to 5 lug???
Old 01-25-2009, 10:37 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

91-93's have bigger rotors. You can buy Maximum motorsports brake upgrade with with steal braided lines and hawk shoes and pads. There are aftermarket kits too like from SSBC and brembo and what not.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:48 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I need to do something with my brakes also. I have stock brakes at the moment and the aren't worth a dang either. I tried to brake real hard after I took my "sheriff deputy" neighbor for a ride and I couldn't make the median intersection in front of our subdivision and I was standing on the brakes too. I want to upgrade my brakes also and was wondering what upgrades are available at minimal cost. I know we all could put a killer brake upgrade on our cars for a lot of money, but I am looking for cheapest upgrade as possible. I have 4 lug spindles and axles also. Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 11:01 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Like I said before, here are the brake kits from Latemodel Restoration.
Proper rear adjustments, new fluids, bleeding, and braided lines make a nice difference.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ang-Brake-Kits
Old 01-25-2009, 06:15 PM
vanilliagorillia79

so if the 91-93 have bigger rotor's. don't they have bigger caliper's? if thats the case can't i just buy rotor's and calipers for a 91-93 mustang?
Old 01-25-2009, 07:58 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Ok, scratch what I said about that. I was mistaken.

Read this though, it should help

http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~m...tang/4lug.html
Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 PM
vanilliagorillia79

ok so then if i buy 91 mark vII caliper's, i buy the differen't mastercylinder, they use the same 11" rotor? and will fit in a 17" cobra wheel? all i know is that i am broke and i need some better brakes. i was showing off the new motor one night with mife in the car and lets just say some *** pulled out in front of us and i was moving pretty good and the brakes sucked!!! so i don't wanna do the 5 lug swap right now. cause i just put the 351w in the car and now i need a tranny. and i really need to stop also! lol so does this sound like the right plan???
Old 01-25-2009, 10:29 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Replace the rubber sliders to metal.
Hawk pads
Stainless lines
Slotted rotors
Get the SVO calipers.

That should work well for every thing. You do not need to upgrade the master cylinder. Yes they use the same rotors just a bigger piston that pushes against that rotor. All brake upgrades you do to a 4 lug car will fit in a 17 inch wheel so you won't have any problems there. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
But for that pads and lines get the kit from latemodel I gave the link to earlier.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:59 PM
vanilliagorillia79

hey man thanks for the info. how come i don't need to change out the master cylinder? i mean thats great if i don't have to but just wondering why? and should i be able to get the svo calipers at like napa or advance or something or do i need to find them on line? and ur saying get the kit that ( pads and lines) latemodel has for sale? can u get the stainless steel lines at napa? just trying to find a good starting point for my budget. and again thanks for the info. i'll be doing all tht probably this weekend. tax money should be in before friday!!!! whoohooo
Old 01-26-2009, 06:17 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yea the part stores sell the svo calipers.I know the numbers are good at advance but I am not sure about napa, I don't shop there. I'm sure you can order the stainless lines but you might as well buy the whole kit at the same time. I know about budgets but that prices isn't bad for all of that.

Part Numbers
Left caliper : R55247S
Right caliper: R55246S

The master cylinder doesn't need to be changed because it works just fine. If you switch the rear to discs then yes you need to change but with the basic setup you don't need to. You can buy kits for 5-600 bucks that come with a new master cylinder to go with their stuff. If you started with a 4 cyl car you would want to swap out the brake booster to the dual diaphram but you have a gt so you don't have to worry about it. The dual diaphram is obvious because of how thick it is.

Quick Reply: brake caliper's?