Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

I have $700 to buy a CAI/Tuner. Can you guys recommend me something?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Omega53

Default I have $700 to buy a CAI/Tuner. Can you guys recommend me something?

I already have a MRT exhaust, now im looking for a cai/tune to go with it
Old 08-24-2006, 10:25 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I have $700 to buy a CAI/Tuner. Can you guys recommend me something?

c&l or tunable induction tunable route will leave you with 175 to go
Old 08-25-2006, 12:15 AM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I have $700 to buy a CAI/Tuner. Can you guys recommend me something?

Buy a tuner only, you can pick up a used diablo sport for under 300 bucks, and spend the rest on those sweet bullit take off wheels on special right now
Old 08-25-2006, 02:14 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Nah... get the XCal2 if you only want a tuner. Then deal with Bren, Alternative, Evolution or Bamachips. I recommend the CAI as well. For $570, you have a new car. No other mod gives you as big a hit as this.

And.. you can get GT takeoff wheels and tires from Saleen for probaby somewhere around $425 shipped.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:33 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

or with the 175 you could get sway bars or a stb
Old 08-25-2006, 06:57 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Great deal on the tunable inductions for $525 including shipping and it will be painted to match the car. Great customer service as well.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:21 AM
Pimpin Pony
2nd Gear Member

you could pay 565 for an evolution performance C&L CAI/XCalII combo
Old 08-25-2006, 04:24 PM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

I'm just not that convinced that the cai's out there perform that much better than our stock airbox, for the extra 200 bucks or so - is it really worth it? Look at the modifications you can do one by one and their results.... for about 140 or so, a single axle back muffler gives you, what, about 10hp - ft/lbs? A tuner, rewrites your car's ignition timing, air/fuel mixture etc, and gives you 15hp - f/t lb's maybe -- that's another 250 - 360 bucks if you buy one new.. then you get the cai, which is not really a cai, it sits in the same position as your stock airbox, and that smooth plastic tube gives you another 5 or 6... right? Is the stock airbox so restrictive that your car can't breathe? (Maybe that's why it feels so tired above 4750 rpms?)

I will be the first one to admit if I am wrong, but someone fill me in on this.... how much better does your car run, really, with a new cai? Other than the good ol' WHOOSHING noise you used to get when you flipped your air cleaner lid over... what does it do for you that a good flowing air filter can't?

If it does, well.. I guess I will be eating crow and going to buy one... Because the difference with just the tune and exhaust is nice... If it's just something shiny, and makes some good noise, I like the car the way it is, and will buy a chin spoiler or some louvers instead.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:35 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Well if you think about it you can get the C&L cheaper if you buy it in the combo so you might as wells buy it at the same time. #1 It will improve airflow over stock. And #2 if you decide to buy one later its gonna be more expensive so you might as wells get it now.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:57 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

No crow bro. I like the way the whole car woke up witht he combo. I think with out the tune you wouldn't notice much difference but I've heard it her before and seen some (I can't produce so not much arguement) numbers that prove the CAI adds power. Any time your ride breaths more it creates more power. I did place a single axle back by JBA and thought it was an upgrade but how much did it really add or how much better did it feel I really can't tell, as compared to my CAI XCAL combo nothing really. I think with adding the whole lot of goodies you do more than just the tuner....ONLY IN my opinion[&:]

Quick Reply: I have $700 to buy a CAI/Tuner. Can you guys recommend me something?