Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Really loud tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:48 PM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

Default Really loud tranny.

I have posted a few things about this before, but thought I would run this through one more time before biting the bullet and taking my car to the dealer. Reason why is, going to the dealer is really a pain in the A$$ for me. They don;t give you a loaner car here (they say it is for insurance purposes or some crap) so being without a car for a few days is really going to be a drag for both me and my wife who wilkl have to drive me to work and pick me up every day. We work all the way across town from each other too, so I wil have to get there at 7:30 in the morning or earlier just so she can make it on time.

Here's what's going on. It sounds like a school bus rear axle when I decelerate. Second gear sounds like the borg warner t-10 I had in my old z-28 - hate to use the term here, but like a rock crusher. ANd then 5th gear - the shifter goes all the way in, and then pops just a little bit out, and makes a really light "tok" sound. Maybe moves about 1/4 inch down, not out of gear though.

A couple of questions. Any other manual transmission people out there hear a lot of noise when decelerating? The loud noise in second gear? Might even vibrate a good bit... and then the whole 5th gear thing?

My car has about 9000 miles on it, so if i flash it back to original tune, I don't think the muffler would give them any pause... I could probably take it in and have no problems with warranty.... but it's going to be a real pain in the *** to lose my car for a day or two at the least. Gotta say, if there is a problem, I am not too pleased with the quality here either, damn car is basically brand new.

Any tests I can do to see what it is before I go in, to judge how long I might be without a vehicle?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:57 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Really loud tranny.

dont owrry about the 5th gear issue.. you notice it because you rest your hand on your shifter which is a bad habbit.. typically your gears in your transmission are helical, and when underload the shape of the teath will draw you tighter into the gear and when you let off the gear relax's bassically whats hapening is that your transmission is holding on the gear nice and strong which is a good thing.

my second gear is noisy like you say it is also and vibrates, but its been like that since i bought the car, now the deceleration thing i cant help you with..i noiced latly between shifts theres an odd whistle whine coming from my motor, but thats related to RPM
Old 08-27-2006, 08:58 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

My second gear sounds the same... works fine just sounds like a truck. It's been that way since day 1.

GP
Old 08-28-2006, 12:39 AM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

i got popes so its hard to hear, but i do hear a small rattle when in neutral, i have noticed 2nd gear being a little haevy if you will, like you all describe, my custom guys says and i quote, " thats a mustang"

i dint think its much to worry about but better safe than sorry, as for 5th gear i have had the same thing happening, but i dont force, i rest my hand on it, and let it go numb from the vibratin.....lol.....love my pony
Old 08-28-2006, 12:44 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

the rattling you hear is the springs on the friction material, which are loose.. and they are loose because one day in your ponies life youve hit redline
Old 09-05-2006, 10:49 AM
greyghost

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

the rattling you hear is the springs on the friction material, which are loose.. and they are loose because one day in your ponies life youve hit redline

The rattling is happening with my pony too. Is there anything that can be done to fix or stop the rattling. Or can the dealer fix this. And regaurdless I just installed the husrt shifter and i am not sure what the dealer would say.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:38 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

to fix the rattling you need a new clutch and do not pass 3000rpm with your pony.. if not the rattling will come back
Old 09-05-2006, 09:15 PM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

During my 0% financing search, I test drove an 06 v6 manual, The difference was night and day. I told the salesman about the rattling, whining, and general looseness of my shifter. Then I took him for a ride in my car, and he said "You're right, it shouldnt sound like that or behave that way" - If you have any questions, take it in for a look. The worst thing that could happen would be they agree with you, that sokmething's awry.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:58 PM
randyc1441

Mine does the same thing. I assume it is normal with these V6 manuals.