Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

V8 muffler swap??

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 12:26 AM
mlt2

Default V8 muffler swap??

Hey all, Just traded off my lincoln mark III. For a 2006 mustang V6. I say I do miss my mark VIII 4.6 liter. But anyways I have been reading about swapping the V6 muffler for a V8 GT muffler. All I want is a lower. depper sound. I know it's just a V6 but it's 4.0 liters. So there should be some good sound just waiting to come out. Frist off is this hard to do? ( I use to work as an auto body repair tech ) So I am handy with tools. ALl I need to know is do I have to cut off the olf V6 muffler or will it be bolted on? Also will all the hanger line up for sure? One more thing what about pipe size? Is it the same or will I need to do some thing there? Also will it clear the rear bumper?
thanks again for the help
MLT2
2006 mustang V6 300 miles ( and counting )
Old 09-01-2006, 12:29 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Default RE: V8 muffler swap??

direct bolt in.. the axleback bolts in, you dont need to cut anything.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:45 AM
mlt2

Will it help sound all that much? Not looking for any thing really loud? Just a bit more deeper.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:59 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

dont know from personaly experience, but from what ive heard on here, yes.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:12 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

SOUNDS GREAT! One of the best mods. for performance and sound vs. money in my opinion. Heres a section that has a lot of sound clips from exhausts people have had... https://mustangforums.com/m_1183819/tm.htm.

Not only will it sound much better but you can expect about a 10RWHP gain by just replacing the muffler! I got two for $80 because I chose to get duals but you may be able to find only one for much cheaper. Heres the dyno that showed a 10RWHP gain...

http://www.v6power.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25551

...Not bad for maybe less than $80.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:41 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

I have duel GT Mufflers on, and i have to say i am really liking them. I have had them for about a month and a half and i love the sound.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:51 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I have a GT take-off muffler installed on my V-6, it sounds just like I hoped it would and I am very pleased with it. Add a K&N air filter to complete a cheap and effective modification, car runs a bit better and your gas mileage MIGHT improve a slight bit.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:21 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Actually you only get about 7wrhp with a single muffler swap....If you added the left side muffler for duals then you would make 9-10rwhp...So if you have extra money you could put the duals on but for 2-3hp extra i think its pointless but it does have a good sound to it and its easy on the wallet. Takes about 30-45mns to install. And also so its easier to do...The brackets on the exhaust that will be holding up the muffler you need a 13mm socket wrench and then the clamp bolt that connects to the exhaust pipe is a deep socket 15mm wrench.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:55 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

I was reading another thread where it was stated that everything matches up when doing this except V6's have 3 clamps vs the two for the V8 muffler (something like that). At any rate, other than having to push down the exhaust tip a bit to stop from touching the bumper (something about holding it steady while bouncing the car a bit?).... is the swapout really pretty straightforward? I'm actually kind of interested in this possibility but a statement at V6mustangstuff.com under the GT take off mufflers made me wonder:

"These axle back exhaust systems are taken off new 2005-2006 GT Mustangs with less than 10 miles on the odometer. They are perfect for upgrading your 2005-2006 V6 with the added flow for more horsepower and a meaner sound! Note- Additional modification to your stock V6 exhaust is required."

What additional modification do you suppose they mean?

Ah... you think they mean if you want to go dual? I only would replace my existing with the GT passenger side muffler.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:39 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Yes thats what they mean if you decide to bolt the left side on also. The GT Exhaust is very straight forward....

All you do it take a 13mm socket wrench and unbolt the 3 brackets from the old muffler. Take a 15mm Deep Socket and unbolt the clamp to the exhaust pipe. Wiggle loose the muffler and slide it off. Then take the 2 brackets from the old muffler that hung the actual muffler and slip those on the GT muffler. Then bolt the clamp on and rehang the brackers. I didnt really have to stand on my exhaust to get it to clear, i have about an 1/8" from the bumper and had no problems with it. Just make sure that the bolts are tighened good. I had to retighten them after i took it out for a spin because i could here it rattling and i happened to burn myself on the muffler

Quick Reply: V8 muffler swap??