Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Is it worth..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:00 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

Default Is it worth..

..to change the headers>? I decited on my first mod, and MRT muffler, Im wondering is it worth to change the headers as well (to the JBA). I thought about going to true JBA duals but it liiks like Id get simmilar gains just from the muffler alone and its much easier to replace......
Old 09-06-2006, 04:19 PM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Is it worth..

Not really. They don't give a very noticable gain but do change the exhaust note usually to a deeper growl. Mainly, unless you have F/I or another major power adder they are only good for sound. Performance wise, for the money headers cost you, you can find other mods. that will give you a much bigger gain.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:11 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

I guess it's more about how fast do you want to go? I have both the MAC headers and the JBA true duals. The headers were a pain in the *** to install, although I have heard that the JBA's are much easier. The headers did make my exhaust deeper, and I like the looks of the duals, even though they weigh more than a single. I feel that the alt pulley from PHP may be better than the duals. The headers have been published showing a performance gain along with a muffler change and a tune/CAI.. Fazm has JBA headers and he's pretty damn fast, so there is a gain.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:24 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

does anyone have a before and after dyno of headers with a tune and cai and such? I am sick of hearing about peak numbers because even if the peak power numbers are the same with and without headers, there could be some mid range and low power numbers that have increased alot which would account for the three fastest n/a cars here all having headers...
Old 09-06-2006, 07:20 PM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

^ Very true! All of the cars who have headers however have other power mods. to complement them. Like LX200 said it depends how fast you plan to go.

If the question is will it make a big difference to change the headers along with the muffler on a STOCK car the answer is you can find better power adders for the money (such as a tune).

If you plan on adding an intake, tune and other bolt ons later and want to do the whole exhaust now then go for headers, but my recomendation would be to do the bolt ons first if you don't already have them...you will notice better results from headers with other mods. other than a muffler. If you don't yet have a tune, CAI etc. spend your money on those first then get headers if needed...thats what I would do.

Fazm has JBA headers and he's pretty damn fast, so there is a gain.
FAZM also has many other bolt ons and its the complete package...the CAI, tune, exhaust, headers, etc. that make him so fast.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

So is it worth to start modding with an MRT muffler, Im completly stock.....
Old 09-06-2006, 09:59 PM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

yes, very much so. From just replacing the muffler you can expect 6-7 RWHP...and there has been a dyno of someone who replaced their muffler and gained 10RWHP. The muffler is usually the first performance mod. among many people on this forum.

If you have the money and want more performance after the muffler get a tuner and CAI (cold air intake). A very popular one is the Xcal2 w/ CAI combo and it runs $560. On top of added horsepower...if you have an auto itll firm up shift points and decrease throttle lag. From what Ive heard it feels like a completly different car!

If you don't want to tune the car get an AFE intake. It claims to free up 12HP altough I don't think ne one has seen a dyno.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:41 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Ya alot of people said AFE boasts about 10-12hp which is a good gain if you were to compare it to a K&N which is only about 7.5hp.....MRT Axelback is nice yet has a louder tone to it so if you dont mind the added loudness its a great exhaust. Just in my opinion if i had the money i wouldve started with the Cold Air Intake and Tuner before exhaust or even just the tune alone...Youll feel more of a difference with the tuner compared to the exhaust or the Intake. You should be happy though with whatever mod you start with.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:44 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

Ya alot of people said AFE boasts about 10-12hp which is a good gain if you were to compare it to a K&N which is only about 7.5hp.....MRT Axelback is nice yet has a louder tone to it so if you dont mind the added loudness its a great exhaust. Just in my opinion if i had the money i wouldve started with the Cold Air Intake and Tuner before exhaust or even just the tune alone...Youll feel more of a difference with the tuner compared to the exhaust or the Intake. You should be happy though with whatever mod you start with.
You are right, my car does feel a little quicker in the top end with my mrt, but it isnt a huge gain. the mrt is VERY LOUD. that is what i wanted, but if you don't want loud, don't get the mrt. The change in my cup holder shakes like crazy because its so damn loud! your first mods should definately my an exhaust setup or cai and tuner.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:39 PM
graves0777
1st Gear Member

i am probably going to be buying the mrt in the next few days too and heard some stuff about resinators. Does any one know how they sound?

Quick Reply: Is it worth..