Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Dual GT Takeoff Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 03:12 PM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

Default Dual GT Takeoff Info

This is for anyone running dual GT takeoff mufflers. I'm currently running the single and am happy with the sound, but having come across the other GT muffler in the garage, I'm considering going with duals. My questions are:
1. Did you notice any increase/decrease in hp/torque?
2. Was the sound any better/worse, or louder/softer?
3. Did you go with an H or X pipe?
4. Any vibration/drone issues of any kind?
5. Any regrets? Do you wish you would have stayed with the single instead of changing to duals?

I'm happy with the single, but every time I see a GT with duals, well, it just looks better. The problem is I don't know if the sound would be better or worse. I don't want it to be any worse, and don't want vibration/drone issues either. See my dilemma?

Any and all input is welcome.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:31 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Dual GT Takeoff Info

Im about to install them soon but i can still answer the for you because i have asked these ?'s before myself.

1. Hp increases 2-3hp max with the Dual Take Off's.
2. The sound increases a bit but there isnt any major improvements over single.
3. Its basically preference there isnt a lot of difference but ive heard muffler shops tend to make them into h-pipes.
4. GT system doesnt drone in most cases, i havent heard of anyone having droning problems.
5. Its just preference to duals basically. The duals dont make a drastic change in performance its mainly for show with the GT Take Off's.

Unless the people that put it on for you put it on wrong, if its installed right you shouldnt have any problems and it wont get worse.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Excalliber

I don't have GT takeoffs - Magnaflows on my car. I'de like to addrss your HP question. Horsepower increase is noticeable with duals. Prior to installation I could not get the rear tire to spin , now I can do a nice burn out ( ihave an automatic). The car looks better with duals too. Btw, I was going to go with GT takeoffs but I could not find a shop that would install them becasue of the custom fab work. Very Happy with the Magnaflows ... very mean Almsost like the 8's.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:53 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Magnaflow is alot better system of the GT Take Offs, and so in turn you will get better hp from Magnaflow. But with a GT Take Off system, with the duals the most you will get out of it is 10-12hp.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:57 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

assuming you get an xpipe with the gt take offs it should actually get more hp than the magnaflows becaus eit will be true dual. Magnaflows are just y pipe splitter and straight pipe <--- kind of o_O
Old 09-29-2006, 09:13 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

here is my set up gt take offs magna flow x-pipe gt left side pipe and all clamped from the x-pipe back for east service. oh yea and i cut my bumper myself

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/F1FEFA510B8244BABA105D5F6FC67428.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/FC5F72F0568D4757B50E725974D9C1A6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-30-2006, 01:52 AM
NewStangDude
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the answers and pics. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward the duals. Historically, I've liked the fact that with the single, people know its a six and wonder how it runs that well. But now you see all kind of cars (mostly sedans like other Fords, Toyotas, etc.) with duals (most are a single split in to two outlets at or after the rear axle), so it makes me want true duals on my car, mainly for the look and the sound. Just needed some solid info from you who have them. Thanks.