Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Help!! C&L and X-Cal2

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 02:05 AM
chadlet
2nd Gear Member

Default Help!! C&L and X-Cal2

I just recieved my C & L and X_Cal 2 from alternative auto. Not sure if I did something wrong but with out installing the C & L I decided to reflash to the 89 tune. I just filled my tank up with 89. There was about an 1/8 tank left of 87 in the tank. Anyway it went throught the whole process of reading the stock code then downloaded the 89 tune. Once it was complete I started it up for a test drive. IT RAN LIKE ****. Spitting and sputtering and actually stalled out twice. The check engine light came on the first time I gave it half throttle. Needless to say is it because the tune is looking for more air with the intake or is there something else wrong? I reloaded back to stock and problems went away. Let me know if you have any thoughts before I call Alternative tommorrow.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:47 AM
tacatc
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help!! C&L and X-Cal2

I would say that the tune was designed to be run with the intake, since it changes the settings. I am basing this just on basic reasoning and not expirence. The tune alters the computer to expect more air when it doesn't get it, the engine doesn't operate properly. I would install the intake then re-install the tune and see how it works.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:28 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chadlet

I just recieved my C & L and X_Cal 2 from alternative auto. Not sure if I did something wrong but with out installing the C & L I decided to reflash to the 89 tune. I just filled my tank up with 89. There was about an 1/8 tank left of 87 in the tank. Anyway it went throught the whole process of reading the stock code then downloaded the 89 tune. Once it was complete I started it up for a test drive. IT RAN LIKE ****. Spitting and sputtering and actually stalled out twice. The check engine light came on the first time I gave it half throttle. Needless to say is it because the tune is looking for more air with the intake or is there something else wrong? I reloaded back to stock and problems went away. Let me know if you have any thoughts before I call Alternative tommorrow.
Nope, nothing is wrong! You have to do both the C&L and tune together... neither one will work right without the other!!! But the C&L on and then put in the tune and you'll be fine! Keep me posted!
Old 10-05-2006, 10:26 AM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

Scrming is right, you have to install the C&L and the tunes at the same time. You car will run like crap if you don't
Old 10-05-2006, 11:29 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

I dont know about you but with my JLT instructions it say do not start the car without the intake and tune together. It also says that do so could damage your engine.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:09 PM
chadlet
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the help works great once I installed the CAI. Well I got my exhaust today so will be putting that on later. Next I need a LSD with 373 or 410 gears not sure what to go with yet.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:36 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I also suspected your problem was due to the CAI not being installed at the same time. Now you get to enjoy how much better your car runs with a tune/CAI.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:13 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

Right now after my CAI/Tune my gas indicator is acting up. I drive for a bit than it goes down a qarter of tank full than after a bit it comes back up again........
Old 10-05-2006, 05:57 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chadlet

Thanks for the help works great once I installed the CAI. Well I got my exhaust today so will be putting that on later. Next I need a LSD with 373 or 410 gears not sure what to go with yet.

cool.... hey, if you can make it you should head over to the track in Ubly next Saturday the 14th... Lidio from Alternative Auto will be there... it's nothing special, just a test and tune day but it's always great to see Lidio run his car!!! Right now the weather looks promising!!! LOL!
Old 10-06-2006, 02:10 AM
chadlet
2nd Gear Member

What time? I will try and make it. I want to ask him if i should tweak anything with the exhaust I put on. I forgot to mention it when I ordered the tuner.

Quick Reply: Help!! C&L and X-Cal2